Cruise Check-In Question about Luggage

berry22192

Here is a question for the well-travelled, please: Is it possible to bring one's own luggage on board or does all or some of it have to be delivered to the stateroom? I'm really hoping you will say we can bring our own luggage onboard by ourselves--hence the no waiting, nothing misdirected, everything at hand. Thanks.

Not sure if you can bring the large bags on board, but I have to say, Princess is PRIMO with the delivery. Both for the land portions (when we did cruise tours) and the cruise itself, the luggage was there before we were. It was very impressive.

We felt our luggage was handled well, quickly and safe. Nothing missing or out of place. If you are just worried about not getting your bags or misplacement, I hope this puts your mind at ease a bit.

If not, then I hope that someone will be able to tell you otherwise! :-)

I have actually seen someone turned away at the scanner because his suitcase was so large ---- and of course he and his wife were insulted, couldn't believe it, held up the line while they argued --- you get the picture. But the above poster is correct, some luggage won't fit through the scanner but I'm not sure what the limit is. Plus, imagine the delays if a lot of people start trying this.

Here is a question for the well-travelled, please: Is it possible to bring one's own luggage on board or does all or some of it have to be delivered to the stateroom? I'm really hoping you will say we can bring our own luggage onboard by ourselves--hence the no waiting, nothing misdirected, everything at hand. Thanks.

Yes you can as long as they fit.

Both hubby and I have taken just carry-ons and had no problems takign them to our room ourselves. If it's a standard carry-on that you can take onto a larger plane it'll be ok. If it's too big though they'll make you check it becuase it wont' fit in their machine.

If you do need to check it have no fear it will get to your room on time. Our first cruise we just took one very large bag for the both of us and we had it waiting at our room before we even got onto the ship! :)

If you do need to check it have no fear it will get to your room on time. Our first cruise we just took one very large bag for the both of us and we had it waiting at our room before we even got onto the ship! :)

Your checked luggage will make it to the room, sometimes as fast as indicated above, and sometimes after sailaway and sometimes inbetween.

In Fort Lauderdale we were rejected once a few years ago by an overzealous security agent in charge but most times they let you carry your luggage up to around a 25 " suitcase.

It's nice to have your bags with you since you can unpack after lunch & before the drill and not have to wait for them to be delivered to the room even if they are speedy.

55inches total is the allowable TSA requirement and no more than 40lbs.

They never restrict weight unless they have to handle the item, if it is broken, they are not liable over 40lbs under their care.

L24"XW16"X H15" maximum by GE and Siemens Scanners ,

Note:they may refuse to clear your parcel or luggage if your over the 10" height since it interferes with the visual screen process during inspection.

Ship OH&S may also have your luggage be brought to the baggage handlers.

your carry on luggage will have to go thru a scanner like those at the airport. If it fits & you can lug it, you can carry it on

Yep, that's the key - if it don't fit it goes below to the big boy scanners.

We always tag it and it arrives fine. In Dec 09 I taped on a lugguage tag to a case of bottled water and that arrived with the lugguage as well. We always have a carry on as well with all the necessities and 1-2 days clothing changes, just in case, but after 23 cruises with Princess and 10 across other lines...checking in the lugguage and not having to tote one more thing is a pleasure.

Thaks to a CC member who suggested the case of water lugguage tag trick as the potable water on board always tastes heavily chlorinated to me, but its all a matter of taste.

It certainly is a personal choice but I'd just as soon not lug luggage.

berry22192,

As other posters have mentioned if you can lug it you can take it but remember it has to be scanned. On our Princess cruise in Oct we started boarding at about 12.15 and our luggage was in the cabin by 1.45;)

Suitcases have to be checked in, as far as all of my experiences. All cruise lines seem to deliver bags to your room quickly, however, NEVER pack valuables in your suitcase, I have had jewelry stolen in the past. It was my 1st cruise and I was not aware that suitcases had to be checked, I thought I would just roll it up with me on the gang plank so I packed my valuables, never again!

You can bring carry-ons with you, they will have to pass through a scanner.

Suitcases have to be checked in, as far as all of my experiences. All cruise lines seem to deliver bags to your room quickly, however, NEVER pack valuables in your suitcase, I have had jewelry stolen in the past. It was my 1st cruise and I was not aware that suitcases had to be checked, I thought I would just roll it up with me on the gang plank so I packed my valuables, never again!

You can bring carry-ons with you, they will have to pass through a scanner.

The smaller bags (up to 25" or so) can be carried on board. You must have had larger suitcases if they told you to check them. They do tend to discourage people doing it themselves.

In Fort Lauderdale we were rejected once a few years ago by an overzealous security agent in charge but most times they let you carry your luggage up to around a 25 " suitcase.

It's nice to have your bags with you since you can unpack after lunch & before the drill and not have to wait for them to be delivered to the room even if they are speedy.

I have a pretty large pelican (underwater) case that I use to bring

camera gear on board.

I have probably embarked in Ft. Lauderdale 25 times with it as carry-on.

About a year ago, they wouldn't let me bring it. They said it was too

big, and they couldn't see "through" to see everything in it. That I had

to check it.

So, it doesn't really matter if it fits or not, it's totally up to the whim

of the security guard.

I have a pretty large pelican (underwater) case that I use to bring

camera gear on board.

I have probably embarked in Ft. Lauderdale 25 times with it as carry-on.

About a year ago, they wouldn't let me bring it. They said it was too

big, and they couldn't see "through" to see everything in it. That I had

to check it.

So, it doesn't really matter if it fits or not, it's totally up to the whim

of the security guard.

I think I had the same security person during that period of time but she hasn't worked the Princess terminal (#2) for while. She was the the head person in charge at the time. Even the other security people said to me that they didn't have a problem with that size but it was her call.

Maybe she got promoted.

Archived