Excursion needed for Stingray City?

-ClevelandRocks-

It was $62.50 each so $125 total. We gave them $150. There was (2) of them. We paid our tour guides directly when we got back to the marina.

I'm looking forward to hear how it went for ya!! Have Fun!!

Was this cash or credit? Curious since the other poster commented on how he maybe was supposed to pay for the drinks with credit instead of cash.

Oh, and we too have the Playsport that we took with us snorkling in Hawaii last year and the pics and video were great!

I can't get their website to load though.:(

Was this cash or credit? Curious since the other poster commented on how he maybe was supposed to pay for the drinks with credit instead of cash.

Oh, and we too have the Playsport that we took with us snorkling in Hawaii last year and the pics and video were great!

I can't get their website to load though.:(

We paid cash for the excursion. They have water and fruit punch (non alcoholic) on the boat. When you are at Rum Point, there is a bar where you can get drinks. Iced tea comes with the lunch. Andrew explained the currency difference and suggested we pay either cash or credit. To be honest, I was not paying a whole lot of attention during this!! We went to the bar and I ordered (2) Cayman beers and (2) diet cokes and it was $20. I paid cash. Both drinks came in a plastic cup about the same size as our Iced Tea. Kind of steep but from what I understand, Cayman is pretty expensive.

So when I looked up the exchange rate, if you paid $20 for those 4 drinks, it was actually a charge of $16.21 in Cayman dollars. So I'm trying to talk my way through this...maybe $5 for each beer and $3 or so for the sodas. Which to me would be about a normal rate on most islands HOWEVER, I can't get past the small plastic cups part. When you got your beer it wasn't in a beer bottle? They poured it from a dispenser? Just wondering. :confused:

So when I looked up the exchange rate, if you paid $20 for those 4 drinks, it was actually a charge of $16.21 in Cayman dollars. So I'm trying to talk my way through this...maybe $5 for each beer and $3 or so for the sodas. Which to me would be about a normal rate on most islands HOWEVER, I can't get past the small plastic cups part. When you got your beer it wasn't in a beer bottle? They poured it from a dispenser? Just wondering. :confused:

Yep..it was draft. I did see bottles going out but not sure what they were. Since I was on the Island, I thought I'd try the Island brew. It was good. I just didn't ask or even look at the prices. Since I was in heaven, I didn't question it and got sticker shock later after reflecting!! :D

Yep..it was draft. I did see bottles going out but not sure what they were. Since I was on the Island, I thought I'd try the Island brew. It was good. I just didn't ask or even look at the prices. Since I was in heaven, I didn't question it and got sticker shock later after reflecting!! :D

I'm liking this....I can't wait!!!!!

Do you know if this is something my father could go along on but not particapate? He uses a walker but he has done the tendering thing on other islands with our help - i just wonder if this is something he could come along on and just watch from the boat??

Do you know if this is something my father could go along on but not particapate?

Lots of people never leave the boat on excursions to Stingray City. :D He'd likely still be charged the full price.

• 6 months later...

As our Carnival cruise stop in Grand Cayman, our family of 5 decided to spend our day with Nativeways on their Rays, Reef and Rum Point excursion. We chose this particular excursion based on Bucknut613’s experience with Nativeways. Thanks again Bucknut613 for bringing this particular excursion to our attention.

However, I should let you know, the day we were there the tour was run differently than normal. Captain Andrew with his first mate Andrew typically run this tour. However the day we were there, one of the Andrew’s was on vacation and the other Andrew was helping out on a different tour. On top of that, two of Nativeways boats were in for their annual government inspection—which meant that two of their boats were out of service. Since our family where the only ones who booked Rays, Reef and Rum Point, we were put on a larger boat with about 20 other people who had booked the Stingray and Reef excursion only…and…because of that--instead of returning from Rum Point by boat, Sharon brought us back to the cruise terminal by van. Even so we had a great and amazing day with them!

And now to go on with the review!

We arrived early and beat Eldon to the terminal. We then waited for the rest of the group to show up and we left on time as scheduled. We were placed in a private van with Sharon and after a short drive to a nearby marina, we climbed aboard a large boat (the My Way) and made our way up to its upper level. The rest of the group (those 20 other people) arrived soon after.

IMG_4905.jpg

There were four crew members on the boat. Our captain was Thomas and JC was the photographer. We found both of these guys to be friendly, funny, professional and informative.

Captain Thomas.

IMG_4917.jpg

Approaching Stingray City—the water is such a beautiful color and crystal clear too!

Can you see the stingrays?

IMG_0319.jpg

Both Captain Thomas and JC were in the ocean handling the stingrays. JC took hold of a large female stingray and showed us her stinger. I couldn’t believe how large the stinger was. It was about as thick as a pencil and a good 6-8 inches long! In order to get stung by a stingray, the stinger must puncture right through your skin—oww, that would really hurt! JC also told us to notice the eyes on the stingray and how they look like the eyes of an alligator! While in the water, those pre-historic looking creatures floated gracefully all around us and we even felt their smooth, slippery hide, brush against our legs.

JC tells us all about the stingrays.

DSCF0253.jpg

Then we all got to hold a female stingray (notice how large she is)...

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

and got a stingray massage...

DSCF0269.jpg

...and then, yes even kissed the stingray! They say kissing a stingray will give you 7 years of good luck! Time will tell how true this will be!

DSCF0265.jpg

Although I was brave and did let the stingray brush up against my lips, I much prefer a kiss from my DH anyday!

DSC_0031.jpg

(That jealous stingray is tapping me on the shoulder!)

We learned the large stingrays are female whereas the small stingrays are males (and here we originally thought the small ones where the babies! Shows you how much we know!) There is really quite a big contrast in their sizes.

My eldest DS holds a male stingray. See how much smaller this stingray is?

DSCF0278.jpg

Click on the photo below to see us handling the baby...oops--the male stingray.

th_DSCF0289.jpg

We were also given calamari to feed the stingray. Whereas most people got a calamari piece, I actually got a whole one—eyes, slimy tentacles and all! The stingray sucked up the calamari like a vacuum! I couldn’t believe what strong suction those creatures have!

Untitled.jpg

JC took photos of everyone with the stingrays. They charged $20.00 per photo, or you could purchase them all for $50. The photos all looked good, so we purchased them all. JC downloaded the photos onto a disc for us.

We spent 30 minutes in the water with the stingrays before it was time to go. From Stingray City it was a short boat ride to the Reef. We put on masks, snorkels and fins and jumped into the warm, clear, turquoise blue water of the Caribbean Sea.

DSCF0293.jpg

DSCF0312.jpg

Looking below we could see many colorful, tropical fish swimming around in their underwater paradise.

DSCF0309.jpg

We spent 20 minutes snorkeling at the Reef, before it was time to get back on the boat. Then we were off to Rum Point Beach.

DSCF0314.jpg

On our way to Rum Point.

IMG_4912.jpg

This way to the beach!

IMG_4918.jpg

Rum Point.

IMG_0324.jpg

...sorry, I ran out of time to continue with this posting. I will continue with Rum Point later on this afternoon.

Rum Point Beach is very scenic. Large casuarina pines gracefully cascade over the beach and lounge area, providing shade from the Caribbean sun and large netting hangs across the tree branches. I am not sure how much of this netting is to keep birds out as it is to prevent pine needles from falling onto the tables and sand below.

IMG_4936.jpg

Before we left the marina at the beginning of the day, JC gave us menus to look over and decide what we would like to order for lunch.

Nativeways Lunch Menu

IMG_4899.jpg

JC called our lunches in, so by the time we got to the beach, our lunches were ready. When we arrived at Rum Point, JC went onshore with us and led us to a picnic table that was especially reserved for us.

IMG_4924.jpg

JC brought us our lunches and once he assured we were taken care of, he head back to the boat.

IMG_4928.jpg

Lunch was included with the price of this tour and it was all very good.

My eldest DS ordered the Traditional Style Jerk Pork.

IMG_4922.jpg

The rest of us ordered the cheeseburger with fries (we had the choice of Swiss or cheddar cheese).

IMG_4921.jpg

Ice tea and water was included with the lunch.

IMG_4923.jpg

Although Rum Point is scenic, we were not totally impressed with the actual beach area and water. We found the actual beach area to be quite small and the water was somewhat murky and seaweedy--not clear like it was at Stingray City or like our last experience at 7 mile beach in 2007. I do not know if the "unclarity" of the water is typical of Rum Point Beach or if we were there on an “off day”. We also found it quite rocky entering the water. This is another time when beach shoes definitely would have come in handy.

IMG_4935.jpg

At Rum Point Beach, we swam in the warm water,

DSCF0324.jpg

relaxed on a hammock,

IMG_0325.jpg

rested in a lounge chair,

IMG_0336.jpg

and simply enjoyed the scenic and tropical beauty that Rum Point Beach had to offer.

DSCF0318.jpg

IMG_4938.jpg

We spent 1 ½ hours at Rum Point Beach before it was time to head back to the cruise ship. Sharon met us at Rum Point and took us back to the port. Enroute she shared interesting information about the island and some of their customs. Overall we had an awesome time in Grand Cayman and we all thoroughly enjoyed our day and time with Nativeways. From all the tour operators we encountered on this cruise, Nativeways offered us the best tour guide experience. Not only did they deliver everything we expected to do on this excursion, but they were also jokey, funny, friendly, professional, helpful, and outgoing while providing us with a top-notch service. My family and I highly recommend Nativeways.

Archived