Docking in Ijmuiden during Sail Amsterdam

Thank you, Ine! I don't know if it makes a difference but we are on Oceania's Regatta not through Azamara. We are due in Amsterdam on August 21, 2010. Thank you so much for checking this out for me. I will wait until the first of the week for an answer.

Pearl

Indeed I ment Oceania Regatta, but since the ship looks like Azamara Journey I made that mistake.

I got an e-mail today from one of the managers of the cruiseterminal. He wasnot at work but he confirmed that according the PTA schedule Regatta will indeed dock at VCK terminal.

He promised to check it once more when he is at work after the weekend, but doesnot think there is a change in that.

Again thank you, Ine. I will wait to contact the taxi company telling them of the change in docks. Is there public transportation near the new dock? With the SAIL going on are we still better sticking with the all day taxi than trying to do this ourselves?

I will wait until you have further confirmation before I act.

Pearl

Again thank you, Ine. I will wait to contact the taxi company telling them of the change in docks. Is there public transportation near the new dock? With the SAIL going on are we still better sticking with the all day taxi than trying to do this ourselves?

Pearl

I think you better stay with the taxi you arranged. There is public transport, but the stop is about 15minutes walk. From there busnr. 48 goes to centraal Station, which takes about another 20 minutes with normal traffic.

As you plan to do a lot that day, that will be not possible if you take public transport.

As soon as I hear more I will let you know, but it looks like almost 100% that you will dock at VCK terminal.

Ine,

Your information has been very helpful. We are arriving on the 19th for a three day visit and departing on Celebrity's ship the Constellation on the 22nd. I have heard nothing from Celebrity, and my travel agent hasn't been able to confirm where we will be docking. Although we only have to make our way to the ship to begin our cruise on that day, it would be very helpful to know where we need to go so we can make travel arrangements. I'm concerned about calling a taxi, fearing they may be quite busy and unpredictable, so I am leaning towards hiring a private transfer. We'll be leaving from our hotel, the Convent Hotel, on Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal near Dam Square.

Do you have information available on where the Constellation will be departing from on August 22nd?

When we booked this cruise we new nothing about Sail 2010. We are excited about being there during the festival and consider ourselves lucky to be able to spend three days in Amsterdam during this time so we can enjoy the activities.

Thank you for your kind assistance!

Rick

Ine,

Your information has been very helpful. We are arriving on the 19th for a three day visit and departing on Celebrity's ship the Constellation on the 22nd.

Rick

You can check the cruise calendar that Ine posted the link above

You will not be embarking at the main cruise terminal by the looks of it

http://www.ptamsterdam.nl/index_en.php?site=cruises&hc=cruisecalendar&sc=32

Ine,

Your information has been very helpful. We are arriving on the 19th for a three day visit and departing on Celebrity's ship the Constellation on the 22nd. I have heard nothing from Celebrity, and my travel agent hasn't been able to confirm where we will be docking. Although we only have to make our way to the ship to begin our cruise on that day, it would be very helpful to know where we need to go so we can make travel arrangements. I'm concerned about calling a taxi, fearing they may be quite busy and unpredictable, so I am leaning towards hiring a private transfer. We'll be leaving from our hotel, the Convent Hotel, on Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal near Dam Square.

Do you have information available on where the Constellation will be departing from on August 22nd?

When we booked this cruise we new nothing about Sail 2010. We are excited about being there during the festival and consider ourselves lucky to be able to spend three days in Amsterdam during this time so we can enjoy the activities.

Thank you for your kind assistance!

Rick

According the 1st e-mail I got from PTA - it was confirmed as copied here that those ships will dock at Ceres terminal:

Datum Naam cruiseschip

18 augustus MSC Opera

19 augustus Eurodam

21 augustus Costa Luminosa

22 augustus Constellation

So you certainly need a cab to get there. Probably by that time Celebrity will offer shuttle-service, as there is no public transportation to Ceres Terminal. It is a few miles west from Amsterdam, about midway in Northseacanal. Getting a cab will not be a problem, but check the rate as you travel outside the city.

Also note you will arrive on the busiest day of Sail in Amsterdam. The big sailin takes place and thousands will come to the city.

Better take a cab from the airport, as trains will be full and around Centraal Station it will be extremely busy. At the back of the station the sailin will pass later that day - on its way to the cruiseterminal where the tall ships will be docked during these days.

If you like ships, this is a real big event, that takes place every 5 years.

http://english.sail2010.nl/en/

According a posting at the HAL board it seems Eurodam passengers were informed about this already.

Just an update. After many calls and then having others on our cruise call Celebrity stated to one passenger that they just found out about the change TODAY!!!! Of course that's because final payment is due next week and they probably were waiting until after that date to tell us! I hope others from my cruise will also call to get the correct info and docking information. Thanks for this thread!!!!

Just an update. After many calls and then having others on our cruise call Celebrity stated to one passenger that they just found out about the change TODAY!!!! Of course that's because final payment is due next week and they probably were waiting until after that date to tell us! I hope others from my cruise will also call to get the correct info and docking information. Thanks for this thread!!!!

I found this very important to those passengers that might have a hotel close to the terminal. Now they do need onward transportation.

Sail 2010 takes place every 5 years and I think the handling agent in the port must have informed the cruise-line about the alternative dockingplace long time ago...

Please note that there are hardly or no facilities at the containerterminal. So donot expect shops or restaurants there.

Have a nice time in Amsterdam and a great cruise.

Many thanks Ine,

I will indeed need to figure out transportation to the container terminal. I may even have to go back to the airport and get a Celebrity shuttle as a last resort. I also believe that the port must have informed Celebrity about the change.

Many thanks Ine,

I will indeed need to figure out transportation to the container terminal. I may even have to go back to the airport and get a Celebrity shuttle as a last resort. I also believe that the port must have informed Celebrity about the change.

Since you are staying in Amsterdam, take a cab from there. No use to travel back to the airport I think.

The Ceres Terminal is about 8 miles from the city westbound.

Ine, have you heard anything definite on Oceania's Regatta docking on August 21? Originally it was the Ceres Quay but has it definitely been changed to VCK? Thank you so much. You have been a great help.

Pearl

Ine, have you heard anything definite on Oceania's Regatta docking on August 21? Originally it was the Ceres Quay but has it definitely been changed to VCK? Thank you so much. You have been a great help.

Pearl

I just got another confirmation from one of the managers that Regatta will indeed dock at the VCK terminal. So you can inform your taxi-driver.

Since Regatta is smaller then the other ships it can dock at VCK, which is much closer to the city (almost next to Coentunnel) then Ceres.

Enjoy your trip!

Many thanks Ine,

This copy -is a part of the mailing PTA has sent around a few months ago to various companies regarding the alternative docking during Sail 2010.

To whom it may concern.

Every five years Amsterdam hosts Sail Amsterdam, the worlds largest nautical event. For five days long, the Amsterdam IJ harbour will serve as the backdrop for a festive programme full of music, culture and nautical riches. This means that the berth at PTA is not available between August 15th and 24th.

We have offered cruise lines that booked during this period an alternative berth, namely the Amsterdam Container Terminal.

- At ACT we will set up two large tents, one for baggage and one for check-in and waiting area. The check-in area will be equipped with electricity (220V), check-in desks (15 desks with space for 30 check-in agents), 300 seats and catering facilities. Toilets will be available.

- Coaches and taxis can drive all the way up to the tents, so passengers will be very close to their transportation.

The operations will take very close to the ship to make the process fast and easy.

Thank you, Ine!!!!! With your help and Lair Bear's I am sure we will have a wonderful time in Amsterdam. Without CC and people like you traveling would be much more difficult.

Pearl

Every five years Amsterdam hosts Sail Amsterdam, the worlds largest nautical event. For five days long, the Amsterdam IJ harbour will serve as the backdrop for a festive programme full of music, culture and nautical riches.

The corrected link for the 'festive programme' is: http://english.sail2010.nl/en/programme/

The corrected link for the 'nautical riches' is: http://english.sail2010.nl/en/ships/

Thank you, Ine!!!!! With your help and Lair Bear's I am sure we will have a wonderful time in Amsterdam. Without CC and people like you traveling would be much more difficult.

Pearl

Enjoy your trip, Pearl.

Indeed, Ine put a lot of work into keeping you all abreast of that big day in Amsterdam and along the North Sea Canal. Somehow she pulls it all together before, so it seems, the cruise companies know what is going on.

On August 19, the day of the big sail-in, we will be just leaving Amsterdam. Unfortunately, I was not aware of the happenings that day, otherwise we would have extended our stay by a couple days. However, we booked return flights that cost too much to change.

I also hope that your adventure in Norway will all come together as you planned.

Pearl

Hi Pearl. What do you mean by "all day taxi" - is that a better rate than per trip? We are arriving in Amsterdam on the 21st and will be staying at the Marriott Courtyard at the Airport. I found out that Celebrity is charging $33 per person from the airport to the port and I wonder if the taxi would be less.

Is anyone traveling to the port from the airport on the day of sailing and has found transportation at a decent cost? I'd appreciate the information. Thanks.

Dear Luvsailing,

We originally thought to just get the taxi into the city and back out, but upon reading the taxi's brochure, the 8 hour taxi was fairly reasonable especially when we can divide it by 8. The cost is 70 euros per person for the full time. With the euro continuing to fall it is even better than one 3 hour ship excursion. We do not have the option of taking a cruise shuttle. There is none provided or offered. Our ship has under 700 passengers so that is the reason why there is no shuttle. Now, the new docking is supposed to be closer to town. I need to email the taxi company, but I cannot imagine the fare to be more. I think that was their standard price for the day. The taxi driver speaks English and will give us a city tour, take us to the Anne Frank house, possibly a canal ride (depending on time) , and then on to Zaanse Schans, and then back to the ship. My husbsand and I can take the taxi for less than one ship tour.

I hope this helps. Frankly, Celebrity's price doesn't seem too bad to me but that is with no knowledge base just instinct. Yes, the all day price was much better than separate trips.

Pearl

Is anyone traveling to the port from the airport on the day of sailing and has found transportation at a decent cost? I'd appreciate the information. Thanks.

We are travelling to the port are via taxi it was 48Euro for the trip

we prebooked with

http://www.schiphol.nl/Travellers/ToFromSchiphol/SchipholTravelTaxi.htm

We chose the private taxi vs the shared

Lyn

We are travelling to the port are via taxi it was 48Euro for the trip

we prebooked with

http://www.schiphol.nl/Travellers/ToFromSchiphol/SchipholTravelTaxi.htm

We chose the private taxi vs the shared

Lyn

Thanks Lyn. I wasn't able to make a reservation as they want information about the destination. Would you mind letting me know what address I should put for the container port? Thanks so much.

Dear Luvsailing,

We originally thought to just get the taxi into the city and back out, but upon reading the taxi's brochure, the 8 hour taxi was fairly reasonable especially when we can divide it by 8. The cost is 70 euros per person for the full time. With the euro continuing to fall it is even better than one 3 hour ship excursion. We do not have the option of taking a cruise shuttle. There is none provided or offered. Our ship has under 700 passengers so that is the reason why there is no shuttle. Now, the new docking is supposed to be closer to town. I need to email the taxi company, but I cannot imagine the fare to be more. I think that was their standard price for the day. The taxi driver speaks English and will give us a city tour, take us to the Anne Frank house, possibly a canal ride (depending on time) , and then on to Zaanse Schans, and then back to the ship. My husbsand and I can take the taxi for less than one ship tour.

I hope this helps. Frankly, Celebrity's price doesn't seem too bad to me but that is with no knowledge base just instinct. Yes, the all day price was much better than separate trips.

Pearl

Hi again Pearl. Thanks for the information. Would you please let me have the email address of the taxi company. I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again.

Thanks Lyn. I wasn't able to make a reservation as they want information about the destination. Would you mind letting me know what address I should put for the container port? Thanks so much.

I am not sure of the address there maybe INE can advise

We are going to the main terminal

Lyn

Dear luvsailing,

Here is the email address for Rudy's Taxi Service:

info@rudystaxicompany.nl

Give him a couple of days to respond, but he was the quickest to respond of all the taxi companies that I contacted. I even talked to him on the phone and seems quite accommodating. I think he has a website. Try googling Rudy's taxi service. I may be wrong, but I think so. It was a few months ago we arranged this. I just heard from him today as I had to email him about our change in dock. It was not a problem.

We are paying cash if that makes a difference to you. Good luck.

Pearl

The correct address of Ceres Terminal is:

1047 HM Amsterdam

Harbornr 7991 Ruijgoordweg 100

Archived