Cruise Ship Terminal to the Train Station in Venice

msmoger

What is the best way to get from the Cruise Ship Terminal to the Train Terminal in Venice. Is there a Vaporetto that connects the two? They seem like they are fairly near each other. We'll be on the Ruby Princess just in case that has any bearing.

Thanks,

We docked in Venice in November. Our hotel was next to the train station. We took the bus from the port (free) to Piazzale Roma. Then we lugged our luggage over the new bridge to the train station. In Venice, the bridges are stairs, not a smooth rolling surface. It was a bit of a chore taking 5 pieces of luggage up to the top. Going down is not as bad.

The other option is to buy tickets for vaporrate (sp?) and jump on at the PR stop and get off at the next stop (~2 minutes).

When are you going to be there. There is a new tram that will be in operation this summer (maybe, it's Italy, of course).

We won't be going to the Train Station until October 8th so hopefully it will be in service. I assume you are saying there is going to be a tram directly from the cruise terminal to the train station. Am I correct?

Thanks,

We docked in Venice in November. Our hotel was next to the train station. We took the bus from the port (free) to Piazzale Roma. Then we lugged our luggage over the new bridge to the train station. In Venice, the bridges are stairs, not a smooth rolling surface. It was a bit of a chore taking 5 pieces of luggage up to the top. Going down is not as bad.

The other option is to buy tickets for vaporrate (sp?) and jump on at the PR stop and get off at the next stop (~2 minutes).

If the above mentioned tram is not an option, this sounds like the best option.

One other question, who provides the free bus service from the port to Piazzale Roma? Is it the cruise ship company (we're on Princess) or the port?

Thanks,

We won't be going to the Train Station until October 8th so hopefully it will be in service. I assume you are saying there is going to be a tram directly from the cruise terminal to the train station. Am I correct?

Thanks,

The tram will be 'near' the cruise terminal area. Not certain of the exact location.

If the above mentioned tram is not an option, this sounds like the best option.

One other question, who provides the free bus service from the port to Piazzale Roma? Is it the cruise ship company (we're on Princess) or the port?

Thanks,

Not certain who operates the free shuttle as is only operates when a Costa or MSC ship is in port. It is a 15-20 minute walk from the port area to the train station. Doable with luggage as long as the bags are not really large.

Not certain who operates the free shuttle as is only operates when a Costa or MSC ship is in port. It is a 15-20 minute walk from the port area to the train station. Doable with luggage as long as the bags are not really large.

I checked the port schedule on the www.cruisett.com website and it's only showing Costa ships on the Venice port schedule for all of Octiber (i.e. no other ships are mentioned so I'm guessing it's not fully updated yet this far in advance) and there's no Costa ship in port on 10/08.

Is the walk from the port area to the train station fairly flat or will we be going up and down the staircase bridges?

Thanks,

By October the new "people mover" should be up and running, so your walking will be limited to port to the people mover station, then the people mover station at Piazzale Roma to the train station across the canal.

The bridge across the canal does have a fair amount of stairs.

I checked the port schedule on the www.cruisett.com website and it's only showing Costa ships on the Venice port schedule for all of Octiber (i.e. no other ships are mentioned so I'm guessing it's not fully updated yet this far in advance) and there's no Costa ship in port on 10/08.

Is the walk from the port area to the train station fairly flat or will we be going up and down the staircase bridges?

Thanks,

I did some research on the tram (officially called a people mover). It did an official trial run on Dec 28, 2009. Best that I can determine is that it will be fully operational in March 2010. The port stop will be at Stazione Maritima (closer to port entrance, maybe 5-8 minute walk from cruise terminal).

Walk to P. Roma from the port is moderate uphill to start, then downhill, then across one bridge (low stairs and wide treads). Finally, up stairs into train station.

Thanks,

You cannot walk from the port to the train station without considerable difficulty. (Walking on a public highway)

Here are your alternatives. There may be others.

Taxi to Piazzal Roma, walk to station ; this involves one large bridge as described above.

Shuttle to Piazzal Roma; walk to station (if shuttle available)

Tram to Piazzal Roma; walk to station. (the tram is just now being tested it should be ready. There may be stairs at each end.

Any of the above to Piazzal Roma then water bus to station. This cuts out one large bridge but you have to get your bags on and off the water bus. (vaporetto)

Take the tram in the opposite direction to Tronchetto- the parking island; then water bus to train station. The water bus goes in both directions you want the direction to the train station and Rialto. Cuts down on confusion at Piazza Roma.

Most convenient but most expensive by far would be a private water taxi direct from the port to the train station.-worthwhile if you have a lot of luggage and can share the cost.

Go to Google earth and zoom down to the port. you will see the tram bridge under construction, the route to Tronchetto, Piazza Roma and the train station. You will see that you cannot walk from the port to the station and that no matter how you get to Piazzal Roma, you still have to walk or take a water bus to the station. I would opt for the tram to Tronchetto or a private water taxi.

Princess DOES NOT provide a free shuttle, so scratch that option. You will pay Princess $24 (in '08) for a five minute ride to Piazzale Roma, and there were absolutely no taxi's at the queue at the pier, when the Grand Princess arrived there. As a matter of fact, when I filled out the debarkation card on the Grand and checked that we had our own transportation, the purser's desk called to ask the name, and stated if I had not pre-arranged a pick-up, there would be no taxi's. My choices were to walk or pay Princess. Our hotel was right at Piazzale Roma and you can see the train station on the other side of the canal.

Walking wasn't an option for us, we are two older ladies with mobility issues and trudging with luggage wasn't something we felt we could do.

Venice is not a city easily accessible for the mobility impaired. Lots of walking, bridges, etc. Even the vaporetto can be a problem. They are like buses, and the locals use them too. They are not just for visitors. They were usually crowded (think rush hour in the US), so we would delay our outings until around 10 am to miss the school kids and locals. We started calling them cattle cars.

Water taxi's are VERY expensive, so we didn't consider that option either.

Gondola rides are very expensive too, so we chose a tour that included a short gondola ride.

I know nothing about the "peoplemover" but hope it is up and running for you, it really sounds like a good idea. And the best option.

Good luck and have a great trip!

We got off the Celebrity Summit in November to head to the train station. As we left the cruise terminal, a lady directed us to the free bus. I am not sure who (port or Celebrity) provided the bus. It was very convenient. If necessary, I would pay for shuttle service.

We are very confused. Hopefully someone can help. We will be travelling by train from Milan to Venice and plan to stop at Venice, St. Lucia station, however, after listening to this thread, there are Principe Roma and Marittima etc. the question is, how do we travel from station S.Lucia to the MSC cruise terminal? Are there free shuttle from MSC? Or we can travel by "the people mover"?

Thanks. Appreciate.

Edited by PC168

I wonder if the buses will disappear altogether once the people mover is up and running?

If you go to YouTube and search "Venice People Mover" you can see several different videos of the system and stations. It looks pretty cool.

Knowing Italy, I would say that the buses won't disappear for a while. They are going to wait a long while for the 'new thing' to prove itself.

According to this site, the People Mover will be open to the public in March 2010: http://www.apmvenezia.com/web/index.php

From the train station (Santa Lucia), you walk across the bridge to Piazzale Roma. If your cruise is after March 2010, you'll be able to take the People Mover. If it is before then, you can see if there is a cruise line bus or take a cab.
It's not clear to me that the Maritime Station (cruise ship terminal stop) will be opening in March along with the Piazzale Roma and Tranchetto stations. On the site that you cited, it says

Stazione Marittima (intermedia, verrà realizzata in un secondo momento):

which two computer translations give as

Marine station (intermediate, will come realized in a second moment)

or

Maritime Station (mid-term, will take place at a later time)

I had heard that it might be open for our Sep cruise.

Edited by jtl513

It's not clear to me that the Maritime Station (cruise ship terminal stop) will be opening in March along with the Piazzale Roma and Tranchetto stations. On the site that you cited, it says

Stazione Marittima (intermedia, verrà realizzata in un secondo momento):

which two computer translations give as

Marine station (intermediate, will come realized in a second moment)

or

Maritime Station (mid-term, will take place at a later time)

I had heard that it might be open for our Sep cruise.

Good catch, and something to keep an eye out for.

• 4 years later...

We are disembarking in Venice on RC's Splendour of the Seas on June 28th. Ship is scheduled in port @ 6:45am. Cruise line said it could take till 7:45 for ship to clear customs--but had no advice on earliest recommended train booking departure. Anyone have any advice: would it be safe to book a 9:50am train out of St. Lucia? Thank you in advance!

We are disembarking in Venice on RC's Splendour of the Seas on June 28th. Ship is scheduled in port @ 6:45am. Cruise line said it could take till 7:45 for ship to clear customs--but had no advice on earliest recommended train booking departure. Anyone have any advice: would it be safe to book a 9:50am train out of St. Lucia? Thank you in advance!

I personally don't think you'll have any problems making that train. However, if you want a bit of insurance, you can purchase the Economy priced ticket rather than the Super Economy. It's a bit more expensive, but you can change it for another train (you will have to pay the difference in fare, but at least not all will be lost).

Much easier if you leave from Venice-Mestre. The Mestre station is a short land taxi ride from the port. My understanding is that all trains stop in Mestre.

What is the best way to go from the cruise terminal in Venice to the airport?

My ship arrives the day before and my flight is 12:05 p.m.

thanks

Depends on 'best' Easiest is a taxi. Cheapest is the people mover tram to Piazzal de Roma and an express bus from there.