Carnival Pride Unexpected Disappointment

I must say that this my 8th cruise was the worst ever. Actually this was the first cruise I was ever disappointed in. Left Baltimore 1-10-10 arrived back from Port Canaveral and the Bahamas on 1-17-10. I wanted to share with readers my experience so as to spare other the same fate. I've never posted before but my concience would have bothered me if i didn't tell my story.

The first night on the Carnival Pride was where it all started. We had a extended balcony room #8237. We went to sleep at 12am only to be awakened at 1am,3am and 5am by extremely load noises on our ceiling. Each time we call guest services and they stated they would look in to it. After a similar second night and repeated calls to guest services they sent 2 people to the room at 2am and said they were going to check out the situation. By now we were having to take midday naps missing out on activities. By the third day i had learned we were underneath a galley on the 9th deck and that the Guest Service reps were asking them to be careful but there was really no way to stop the noise. I asked for another room ,even a inside small room just to get a good night sleep but was told the ship was full. After the 3rd night I became extremely verbal. I and my wife actually considered disebarking in Florida and driving home. Finally on the 4th day we were told there actually was a smaller balcony room and that if we wanted it we may switch. We did immediately. I went to guest services and demanded compensation. This was their compensation for 3 sleepless nights and shortened days. $128.40 total for me and my wife. Yes a whole $20 per person per day. I called them and stated i was not looking for money but compensation of maybe 20% off on a 7 or 10 day cruise to make up for the wasted time. They said sorry but there formula only allowed this amount as the maximum. Anyway this was the main issue but there were other issues that im going to list that contibuted to my worst experience on a ship ever.

1. No PPV movie worked on any day ever, When Guest Services were called they said the had a issue with audio video. They did not have an issue with billing for all the attempts to start one at $8.99 each.

2. The bed in both cabins were well worn out. they all had a sizable depression in the middle

3. The balcony roof on #8237 was literly rusting away with 12 inch pieces hanging down.

4. Something I've not noticed on other ships was that you were no longer able to take you own breakfact bacon or ham. you had to ask for it from the cook making eggs. I can only guess this is a cost saving measure.

This was my 3rd and final cruise with Carnival. I hope others head my warnings and don't get burned the way I was..

Most "others" who cruise would have done their research and would never have found themselves in a cabin under the galley. It's always a really good idea to find out what's around your cabin BEFORE you put your money down. In this case, they aren't able to rearrange the entire dining schedule on the ship to accommodate you.

You are fortunate they had an empty cabin and it was nice of them to refund the difference in price between the two cabins.

This isn't really a compensable event. Ship happens. You were moved....the galley is busy pretty much 24/7 and you didn't do enough research.

Others who might stay in the same cabin probably wouldn't be bothered by the noise at all.

Good luck on your next cruise...whoever you choose. Just know where you are staying before you book.....all ships have galleys...all ships have cabins under and around galleys.

Carnival will provide earplugs free of charge, delivered to your room, just call service.

We were on the Freedom April 2010, I could hear the lobby singers until about 3am most of the nights. After two nights I called and got ear plugs, problem solved!

I use earplugs all the time,,they shut out everything. My fear is we would hit an iceberg or get torpedoed by a U-Boat and I wouldn't hear the horn alert and announcements.

First you say you would move, even to a inside cabin. When they moved you to another balcony WITH $128 you still demanded more, like a huge amount off a future cruise??

Wow, I think at least you got moved to another balcony AND got some money. I dont want to be a flamer, but I think you are being unrealistic. You should have looked at the deck plans and seen a galley or something was above you, cant blame Carnival for YOUR choice of cabin?

If you had been around CC for a while, you would have known the bacon police will give you more if you ask, they just dont want you pawing thru it apparantly. Just ask for more. Easy.

Fire,

Well said! :)

When we cruised on the Destiny over Thanksgiving 09, for the first 2 or 3 nights we heard a very loud banging noise...we called twice the first night...once the next. They finally shut the fire door that was open (earplugs couldn't keep the sound out as it was directly above us on an open deck) and while it was annoying...and we complained thrice...we got nothing in the way of compensation. No new room...no balcony, not one cent...we even asked...they simply said "no" they don't compensate for those kinds of situations.

While we were not happy cruisers at first...out of all the cruises we've taken...we figured it was our turn. It wasn't a bad cruise...and not our most memorable or favorite, but we made the best of those first few nights and we actually had a good time otherwise. We work pretty high stress jobs...so a week away from work...a little banging and a weak night club does not ruin our vaca. We simply make the best of it on our own...hence the huge tab when we leave....

I think those who have cruised over 5-10 cruises will agree...at least one will stand out as having not been the best...

I will continue to cruise on Carnival, it is simply in my price range and allows me to spend money on extras...

Edited by 01 Cobra

I must say that this my 8th cruise was the worst ever. Actually this was the first cruise I was ever disappointed in. Left Baltimore 1-10-10 arrived back from Port Canaveral and the Bahamas on 1-17-10. I wanted to share with readers my experience so as to spare other the same fate. I've never posted before but my concience would have bothered me if i didn't tell my story.

The first night on the Carnival Pride was where it all started. We had a extended balcony room #8237. We went to sleep at 12am only to be awakened at 1am,3am and 5am by extremely load noises on our ceiling. Each time we call guest services and they stated they would look in to it. After a similar second night and repeated calls to guest services they sent 2 people to the room at 2am and said they were going to check out the situation. By now we were having to take midday naps missing out on activities. By the third day i had learned we were underneath a galley on the 9th deck and that the Guest Service reps were asking them to be careful but there was really no way to stop the noise. I asked for another room ,even a inside small room just to get a good night sleep but was told the ship was full. After the 3rd night I became extremely verbal. I and my wife actually considered disebarking in Florida and driving home. Finally on the 4th day we were told there actually was a smaller balcony room and that if we wanted it we may switch. We did immediately. I went to guest services and demanded compensation. This was their compensation for 3 sleepless nights and shortened days. $128.40 total for me and my wife. Yes a whole $20 per person per day. I called them and stated i was not looking for money but compensation of maybe 20% off on a 7 or 10 day cruise to make up for the wasted time. They said sorry but there formula only allowed this amount as the maximum. Anyway this was the main issue but there were other issues that im going to list that contibuted to my worst experience on a ship ever.

1. No PPV movie worked on any day ever, When Guest Services were called they said the had a issue with audio video. They did not have an issue with billing for all the attempts to start one at $8.99 each.

2. The bed in both cabins were well worn out. they all had a sizable depression in the middle

3. The balcony roof on #8237 was literly rusting away with 12 inch pieces hanging down.

4. Something I've not noticed on other ships was that you were no longer able to take you own breakfact bacon or ham. you had to ask for it from the cook making eggs. I can only guess this is a cost saving measure.

This was my 3rd and final cruise with Carnival. I hope others head my warnings and don't get burned the way I was..

at your request you were moved, you were compensated, you were served bacon & you state it was your worst cruise & will never sail that line again ??????

We have stayed in cabin 8233 which is just 2 cabins away from the OP's on this class of ship. We loved it and would book this location specifically again.

As previous posters have said one should review the deck plans and choose according to what is important to you. To each his own.

I understand why you were upset and appreciate that you came here to "warn" others about the problems with the cabin.

BUT...

had you maanged to find your way here BEFORE you sailed (or even booked), you would have been well-advised to check the deck plans and to never, ever book a cabin underneath any galley. Or above a lounge. I mean, that does make sense, no? And it's not like you can't find deck plans online at many sites to check to actually SEE where your cabin is located!

In fact, the best place to book if you don't sleep like the dead is on a deck that has passenger cabins both below and above you.

The Miracle has excellent soundproofing. Perhaps by the time they got to the 4th ship in that class, they had cured many noise issues. But I wouldn't book in a cabin under the Lido deck in ANY location, so I'll never know!

You aren't going to get much sympathy because the good posters here know to do their homework before they cruise. Finding out the hard way isn't really what you want to do when you've worked hard to be able to afford your vacation and you have only a few days to enjoy it.

Sorry you weren't happy, but you shouldn't expect any compensation. It's your own fault you didn't know there could be noise issues. And if a TA or PVP selected your cabin, it's still your own fault for not becoming the best-informed cruiser you could be PRIOR to sailing.

As for the bacon police, they were on the Miracle, but not at every buffet station. And I have no problem with asking for bacon. I mean, do we all really need to eat 2 pounds of bacon per meal rather than only one? :p

People please, Your all telling me you would be just fine not getting any sleep for the first 3 nights of your cruise, and for compensation...$120...yeah right! Maybe the OP DIDNT choose the room and thats what Carnival gave them...I know I would have been a little frustrated if this happended to me....but then again, I am not a carnival cheerleader like most here.

I would have demanded more than $120. This sounds like an ongoing problem with the cabin....and they should have been warned. When you pay for a cabin, you assume it's a cabin where sleep is possible.

And no...you should not have to get drunk to endure it.

I'm just wondering if it was "guaranteed".

"Where did the empty cabin come from?" They probably were having complaints from the people in that cabin so they just switched the people in each cabin hoping that it would quiet both parties. ;)

That is one reason we never go with a guarantee rate. Do some research and pick the cabin that best fits your needs even if it does cost more. By the same token, we never cruise during hurricane season even though the rates are cheaper. They are cheaper for a reason...there may be a hurricane.

I would have demanded more than $120. This sounds like an ongoing problem with the cabin....and they should have been warned. When you pay for a cabin, you assume it's a cabin where sleep is possible.

I agree with you. You should ask for... 100 Milion DOLLARS.. Woohahaahahaha!!!!

Edited by agmakar

I heard the "bacon" thing was because the bacon often sticks together, so people who wanted 2 or 3 pieces of bacon, would get a BIG lump of bacon, and waste 90% of it! I don't care for people sticking their hand in the bacon to pull it apart anyway. Much rather have someone serve it to me with tongs.

As far as the noisy cabin goes,,,it's really a good idea to take a look at the cabin location when you book it. I too will never book a cabin right under the Lido deck. We had a noisy cabin on "Glory" once,,,,I casually mentioned it to the purser who informed me that they were very sorry, but once again, had a full ship. I didn't jump up and down,,,raise hell,,,or demand $100,000. A day or two later we got a VERY generous OBC, that we enjoyed spending very, very much.

"SKY"

I was on this same cruise and I heard lots of banging as well the first night. We were in room 7258. But after that night, we had pretty quiet evenings for the most part and we both slept like a baby.

This was my first cruise ever and we had an AMAZING time. There were some things we didn't care for but for the most part we LOVED it.

We loved it so much that we are booking the Pride again for next year.

Edited by Duckie26

I have never had a noise problem, I always book a cabin on the Rivera deck.

it's nice and quite in the cheap rooms. lol

Maybe people were touching the bacon with their hands.

because it is flu season maybe they were handing the bacon out.

And, for many, sleep is possible in a cabin like this. My husband can and has slept through an earthquake. I, on the other hand, sleep very light. The bell on the cat's collar and my neighbor's wind chimes wake me up. He would have had no problem in this cabin and my solution would have been to keep the TV on all night. I usually do that whenever I sleep in a strange place and definitely in the hospital.

I have read this thread from beginning to end and it seems to me that too much time is being spent talking about bacon...lol... really people... this is a mega cruise ship with a ton of things to do and we are talking about bacon!?!

Let's spruce up the conversation a little and talk about the best shore excursions to take or your favorite dining room foods. I think these topics are all things that we can really use on our next cruise. :)

Either way, I suppose it has been fun reading about everyones bacon theories.

Sorry about your bad experience, but I always have the cabins I want ready when I call to make a reservation (Carnival PVP). I usually have two or three websites up with the current available rooms blinking or listed, so that if the one of the rooms is not available, I already have several deck plans in front of me to choose from.

In November I took a last minute Thanksgiving cruise and opted for a IS gaurantee room, which was the lowest price available. A few days later, I was assigned an OCV room near the nightclub. I called an demanded they swithc me back to an IS room, on the deck/category I requested. Later that day I found out that Balconies opened up using the Residency rate for $30pp more, so I jumped on the Balcony room. It pays to do your homework, or stay connected to this board.

OP,

The best thing you can do here on Cruise Critic is keep coming back and answering some of the questions/comments.

I am sorry you had a bad cruise. Our friends got a room under the gym once, and we all learned a lesson then. So now we always make sure about the cabin location when booking.

They've just decided to do that with bacon; as others said, just ask for more. Try the MDR for b'fast. We do that and always ask for crisp bacon and get it.

Shay

The reason bacon and ham is brought up is that the OP should be ridiculed for the comment. C'mon, we know who the OP is, that person who piles on the bacon, probably twenty pieces, only to leave half for the bussers to clean up. Piling bacon is symptomatic of the overall traits of the person who originally posted the rediculous complaint.

I just booked our 4th cruise on the Pride last week. We sailed last May, August, December, and we're booked again this coming May.

Our first sailing we rocked, rolled, and were seasick as a result...plus we had booked an aft-wrap that we couldn't enjoy for the first several days because of the queasiness. The second sailing we booked a standard balcony and had a much better sailing. We looked forward to that cruise because it was the alternate itinerary (Grand Turk, HMC)....well....weather prevented a Princess ship from docking at her intended destination, so 2,000 unexpected passengers arrived at GT an hour before us. Needless to say, there wasn't a chair or even space for a towel to be had on the beach. In addition, our stop at HMC was delayed by several hours due to the same weather system. In December the weather was cooperative, but the ship was unexpectedly packed with a group sailing. There was alot of very loud comraderie in the common areas.

All that said, we are booked again. Why? We drive to the port, disconnect from our real world, and relax. There hasn't been, and probably never will be, a cruise out of Baltimore that will be a perfect experience. The itinerary isn't great, and the weather can be problematic.

This will be my 13th cruise, and I've sailed in every variety of balcony cabin imaginable....from the second highest category available on Disney, NCL, and Carnival to a variety of locations of standard cabins on Princess and Carnival. My favorite location by far is any cabin on Deck 5. It's the quietest, there's less motion, and you don't have to walk too far up or down to get where you want to be....and it's a little cheaper, to boot.

We're also booked in an aft cabin on the Spirit in September for a Glacier Bay sailing....again, on deck 5.