15 miles from Labadee !!!!

aprilfool

To all those who feel guilty that tourists shouldn't enjoy themselves while at the same time, others are suffering greatly on the island of Hispanola... I propose a compromise.

Instead of going to Labadee and drinking a "fruity umbrella drink" while eating BBQ that you paid for on a trip that was purchased months before the disaster in Haiti, I propose that RCI make an excursion to the fenced area of Labadee to allow the suffering Haitians view a self-flaggelation in response to your perceived guilt.

This, in addition to the money RCI pays to the country of Haiti for the private beach area known as Labadee, the aid that RCI is offering, the donations made by other travelers aboard RCI's ships, and the monies spent at Labadee at the "Straw Market" where I'm sure the vendors are COMPLETELY angry that tourists are even THERE buying stuff...

All that will make everything better.

guaranteed!

\end sarcasm

Last spring, there was a major earthquake on the east coast of Italy 2 days before we left for our long-planned trip of a lifetime there. The epicenter was only 70 miles from where we were staying, and we met/saw many earthquake refugees on the streets, as well as experienced some aftershocks. It did not deter from our enjoyment of our holiday, but rather gave us a unique learning prospective, especially since we happened to be in the Sistene Chapel on Good Friday (the national day of mourning for the victims) during the national moments of silence.

I wish I were headed to Labadee now. I'd bring clothes, flip flops, toys, etc to leave on the beach or with one of the venders in the straw market. I'd buy their goods WITHOUT bargaining on the price. (Both of these are things I've done in the past at Labadee and other places int he Caribbean) Holding back from going would take away these people's livelihood, and would prevent RCI from carrying aid into the country, which would be a much more selfish gesture to ease one's conscience. I've read that the port fees are in the tens of thousands every time a ship visits there...would you deprive this country of that income now?

I just think RC owes Haiti alot more than they are probably giving.

I would like to nominate this line for January's Cruise Critic "Sentence Of The Month."

Either that, or maybe you can explain to me how RC "owes" ANYTHING to Haiti.

That's spoken from the same mentality as when someone says "I worked for so & so for thirty years and I have nothing to show for it" Well, didn't you have a JOB for thirty years?

Along the same line, hasn't RCCL been contributing to Haiti's economy for decades now? And for that, they OWE Haiti? And not only that, but they owe Haiti MORE than what they've already pledged?

That is amazing, really.

RE:

Big whoopee doo that RC employs 230 Haitians. Thats nothing compared to the thousands and thousands of dollars that they make everytime the ship stops there. 300 more employed in the market place..I cant see that, there were not that many booths. If RC really is donating ALOT of relief supplies then let them stop. But we dont know exactly what they are offloading. If they would let passengets bring donations to leave there with a responsible party that would distribute it to the earthquake areas then let them stop there. I do believe RC is taking advantage of Haiti and making a ton more money off Labadee than they are contributing. The Haitian government is so corrupt, exactly who did RC make these deals with. I doubt the population in Haiti with the exception of the 230 workers and the market vendors are benefiting from this. Yes they should make some profit but not take advantage. The people of Haiti are going to get more desperate in the weeks to come and just because RC has hired security doesnt mean you will be safe there so that might change wether they stop at Labadee or not. I can see desperate rioting if they know RC is taking supplies to shore. 55 million is alot to spend to make Labadee paradise, think what that would of bought if half of that would of been donated to the red cross instead of building an ugly cement dock or a zip line. I just think RC owes Haiti alot more than they are probably giving.

First of all, the paragraph is your friend.

What exactly is the thrust of your rant? You are all over the place with topics. Is this more about your safety concerns, or the worry that people of Haiti are not actually seeing the dollars dropped there by tourists and cruise lines?

Do you really believe that if there are, by your count, some 300 artisans at the marketplace, they would be the ONLY beneficiaries of the money spent there by cruisers?

Are you unaware that every dollar spent would reach approximately three other persons, just like lost jobs here adversely affects several other people in addition to the one who loses his job?

When I visited Labadee a few times, BEFORE the dock (which enables more people to go ashore -- and spend money -- since there are usually many cruisers who cannot 'tender' to any ports due to disabilities), there were many, many artists/craftsmen selling wares. Do you want to deny them those sales?

I live in earthquake prone CA and have survived a few big ones and my home was totally destroyed in the Northridge quake. People were killed, injured, we were without services for many days -- it wasn't Haiti because our building codes are better but for this region, it was huge and extremely costly.

But hopefully no one stayed away from the unaffected tourist areas of the region because they felt uncomfortable about the tragedy. Did CA want people to avoid touring? NO! Tourism in a few areas is one of Haiti's few highlights -- if you don't want to go, fine -- but cancelling ships' calls is a very bad idea.

Last spring, there was a major earthquake on the east coast of Italy 2 days before we left for our long-planned trip of a lifetime there. The epicenter was only 70 miles from where we were staying, and we met/saw many earthquake refugees on the streets, as well as experienced some aftershocks. It did not deter from our enjoyment of our holiday, but rather gave us a unique learning prospective, especially since we happened to be in the Sistene Chapel on Good Friday (the national day of mourning for the victims) during the national moments of silence.

I wish I were headed to Labadee now. I'd bring clothes, flip flops, toys, etc to leave on the beach or with one of the venders in the straw market. I'd buy their goods WITHOUT bargaining on the price. (Both of these are things I've done in the past at Labadee and other places int he Caribbean) Holding back from going would take away these people's livelihood, and would prevent RCI from carrying aid into the country, which would be a much more selfish gesture to ease one's conscience. I've read that the port fees are in the tens of thousands every time a ship visits there...would you deprive this country of that income now?

Great post!!!

Heads up to you still on the fence about whether or not RCL is doing their share to help out or if RCL should continue to call there:

NY1 (a very reliable source) reported the following regarding the travel industry's involvement with the relief efforts:

See: NY1.com

NY1.com

header-img.gif

1/17/2010 02:57 PM

Travel Industry Joins Haiti Relief Efforts

By: Valarie D'Elia

travelers51f759b2-e68c-4965-a74a-26540451058f.jpg To view our videos, you need to

enable JavaScript. Learn how.

install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

From donations to relief-conscious incentives, the travel industry is coming together to offer help to the victims of the Haiti earthquake. NY1's Valarie D'Elia filed the following report.

While Haiti is far from a tourism hotspot, it has been a popular stop for Royal Caribbean ships that call at a private outpost in Labadee on the northwest coast of Haiti.

Royal Caribbean International -- one of the largest foreign investors in Haiti -- says it thought long and hard about continuing those cruises in the wake of the catastrophe, but decided it will and that Haiti will benefit more than ever from the revenues that are generated. To date, the cruise port has brought in more than 10 million tourists spending $100 million.

Royal Caribbean says for now it will also donate all the revenue from its Labadee stop, and an additional million dollars to the relief effort. Besides carrying paying passengers -- who can make donations through their onboard accounts -- the ships are also transporting relief supplies in tandem with the U.S. based charity Food For The Poor.

A number of airlines are also pitching in through their mileage programs.

American Airlines is offering bonus miles to customers who make donations through its website to selected charities.

United Airlines is allowing frequent fliers to donate their miles directly to charities to help transport their relief workers to Haiti.

Additionally, some hotel chains, such as Choice and Starwood are letting customers use their loyalty points to make donations.

Travel Guard insurance is also providing free emergency travel and medical assistance services to people affected by the earthquake.

They will coordinate but not pay for services such as evacuations, temporary lodging, and cash wire transfers.

The Caribbean Tourism Organization is soliciting donations through its Disaster Relief Fund at www.onecaribbean.org.

Haiti shares the island of Hispaniola with the Dominican Republic to its east, a destination with a very well developed tourism infrastructure.

The Dominican Republic Ministry of Tourism reports the DR experienced no damage from the earthquake and that all hotels, resorts and beaches are open and no flights or tours have been canceled.

In fact, many emergency workers are looking to reach Haiti by first flying commercial airlines into the DR.

To accommodate relief supplies, American Airlines is imposing an embargo through mid-February on all excess, oversize and overweight baggage on most of its regularly scheduled flights to the DR.

#######

So, if you do nothing else take a moment to say a silent prayer for the victims, survivors, and the relief workers. Prayers cost you nothing.

MARAPRINCE

The universe moves on no matter what. There are funerals every day, all over the world, and right next door, you may have birthday parties and weddings where people are celebrating.

We have to help those in need how we can. Staying away will not help, it will only make the situation worse. Fretting will not help the Haitian people. Money and supplies will.

Keep those in need in your thoughts, and donate as much as you are comfortable with. But enjoy your life...enjoy your cruise...enjoy Labadee. Every moment is precious.

The above is exactly what the church sermon message was about yesterday. Pray for those less fortunate ( speaking of not only the Haitians, but all those in need), give, give, give, and enjoy the life that God has given you.

I/we have also felt guilty about the thought of taking another cruise, when so many others are suffering.:( After the sermon yesterday, we went straight to the treasurer of our church and made a sizable donation to the fund for Haiti through UMCOR , along with picking up a kit (plastic bag) to fill with health supplies for those that have lost everything. We are also regular contributors to the Salvation Army, United Way, many missions, along with other good causes. Does this make us feel less guilty about what we have, or for possible taking a cruise in the next few months? ...NO, but we know that we must go on with life in the midst of tragedy.

instead of building an ugly cement dock or a zip line. I just think RC owes Haiti alot more than they are probably giving.

Who do you think built these things? The Haitians did and were paid wages for their work. Had RCCL not made the improvements on Labadee, there would not have been jobs for these men.

Hi Aprilfool, We will be on the same cruise as you and we are trusting that Royal Caribbean won't put us in harm's way. There's still some time before we leave so I am taking a "wait and see" approach to this.

p.s. I too am an April Fool!!

I'd rather stay away as well - I have a cruise on RC going to Haiti around the 12th of Feb. Here's my thinking on the subject:

A. RC probably makes most of the money in Haiti .. Don't they even bring their own wait staff off to serve food? Port charges are probably free for RC since I assume they pay yearly or in some overall larger contract with Haiti to call that their private island/beach. It sounds like there are some locals which make money off of RC's private beach somehow ... maybe selling items on the beach? My solution - just provide an average amount of $$ to these vendors for the next few months if they (RC) are really being generous and let the locals use their time to go help others there and not mess with tourists.

B. Rather than put passengers into a situation where they may be uncomfortable (which is very bad when these passengers are paying big $$$ to be on a cruise), why doesn't RC substitute another sea day or another stop for the cruises .. and then lease a cargo ship to transport supplies to their private beach. They are going to get a lot more than 40 palettes of supplies in this way, and not put passengers into a strange/weird situation.

C. Seriously people ... Wouldn't you rather all give a $50 donation to Haiti and then hit another island? $50 / head is WAY more than those locals will make on the visits from those ships.

The prisons are emptied ... disease will be rampant... all those people need is supplies .. not rich Americans messing around.

RC - Donate generously in terms of Supplies and Money , and choose another port.

An excellent and perceptive first post, welcome to the boards

I have to say that RCI is getting bad press here in the UK, with at least two of the quality papers going big on its decision to visit Labadee while the living and dead are still being unearthed from the rubble, no doubt the tabloid press will soon follow suit - whatever excuse you make, it's showing Americans in a bad light - ignorant, uncaring, and with a deep lack of common decency and compassion for the injured, dead and bereaved - would it hurt RCI that much to stay away even for just a short while as a show of respect?

An excellent and perceptive first post, welcome to the boards

I have to say that RCI is getting bad press here in the UK, with at least two of the quality papers going big on its decision to visit Labadee while the living and dead are still being unearthed from the rubble, no doubt the tabloid press will soon follow suit - whatever excuse you make, it's showing Americans in a bad light - ignorant, uncaring, and with a deep lack of common decency and compassion for the injured, dead and bereaved - would it hurt RCI that much to stay away even for just a short while as a show of respect?

Feel free to read the actual FACTS about the benefits that Royal Caribbean's presence brings to the island and its inhabitants.

And thanks for the kind words about Americans. :rolleyes:

would it hurt RCI that much to stay away even for just a short while as a show of respect?

I don't know.

Say RCI stays away from Labadee for 4 weeks... that's 4 weeks that the families that depend on the income coming from that destination will be without an income.

Already, I'm sure that the country is experiencing a countrywide shortage of aid. Shortages of food, medical supplies, increases in prices for such items.

Is 4 weeks of ADDITIONAL hardship for those families acceptable?

RCI is giving their cargo space for aid. Delivering "100 pallets of aid, 3-4 times a week" to the port at Labadee. Cutting off that avenue of aid will also add to the hardship.

I think what RCI is doing is good. While the decision is most definitely controversial, I think it's still a decent and appropriate response.

If I booked a trip a few months prior to the disaster, I would hope that my vacation would benefit the residents of Haiti. Whether directly through my own personal donations that I can carry with me to Labadee, or indirectly through my support of the local economy.

Haiti is NOT a popular tourist destination. No other cruise line has such a relationship with Haiti. I'm glad RCI hasn't abandoned their partners in Haiti in this time of great need.

I'm not questioning the benefits RCI brings to the island, just the lack of decency in not keeping passengers off the island while the disaster is still unfolding. Even a few weeks would show some compassion and respect where, at the moment, there is none.

By all means, let the ships deliver aid, but not let the passengers disembark, and if that's too awkward then find another port.

As for words of kindness, they are a lot kinder than some of the attitudes I've witnessed on this forum towards their fellow men and women.

I don't know.

Say RCI stays away from Labadee for 4 weeks... that's 4 weeks that the families that depend on the income coming from that destination will be without an income.

Already, I'm sure that the country is experiencing a countrywide shortage of aid. Shortages of food, medical supplies, increases in prices for such items.

Is 4 weeks of ADDITIONAL hardship for those families acceptable?

why couldn't RCI just give them the money to cover for those weeks they were away? It wouldn't cost a lot. Problem solved, and it would be great PR

We have sailed with RCCL for 20+ years and will be sailing on the Liberty of the Seas for back to back March 1st. I am glad that RCCLwill be calling in Labadee and all passengers in a small way will help to contribute to their economy. I went right back to NYC after 9-11 and I am sure many folks went to New Orleans after their disaster, it certainly doesn't help to stay away. Having said this, This trip we won't step on Labadee with fun fun fun expectations, we will have a great deal of sadness for what has occurred and will still be recurring, say a few prayers, visit the shops, enjoy the meal, see the beauty and hope against hope that this Beautiful Spot in the Caribbean will become a Better place for the Haitian People and future visitors.

We have sailed with RCCL for 20+ years and will be sailing on the Liberty of the Seas for back to back March 1st. I am glad that RCCLwill be calling in Labadee and all passengers in a small way will help to contribute to their economy. I went right back to NYC after 9-11 and I am sure many folks went to New Orleans after their disaster, it certainly doesn't help to stay away. Having said this, This trip we won't step on Labadee with fun fun fun expectations, we will have a great deal of sadness for what has occurred and will still be recurring, say a few prayers, visit the shops, enjoy the meal, see the beauty and hope against hope that this Beautiful Spot in the Caribbean will become a Better place for the Haitian People and future visitors.

Well, it's your decision and I'm sure you are sincere, but when I was on Labadee two years ago loads of people on these boards complained about having to tip the Haitian workers for bringing over chairs, drinks etc, which was a shocking attitude considering how dirt poor these people are.

No doubt people will dig deep into their pockets this time round 'to buy a few trinkets to help the local exonomy' but I wonder how long this amazing generosity will last? :rolleyes:

I'm not questioning the benefits RCI brings to the island, just the lack of decency in not keeping passengers off the island while the disaster is still unfolding. Even a few weeks would show some compassion and respect where, at the moment, there is none.

By all means, let the ships deliver aid, but not let the passengers disembark, and if that's too awkward then find another port.

As for words of kindness, they are a lot kinder than some of the attitudes I've witnessed on this forum towards their fellow men and women.

Passengers bring money to the destination.

The families that sell locally made items at Labadee depend on tourist money for an income.

The families that maintain Labadee depend on the destination for their income.

Without tourists, there's no jobs, there's no sales. What will they do to provide for their families? If they have families 90 miles away in Port-au-Prince, how will they help them without an income?

You are assuming that tourists will still go to Labadee and carelessly enjoy themselves regardless of the tragedy occuring on the opposite side of the country. I doubt that the tourists going will be giving the locals "a hard time". I would like to believe, like others have mentioned on this board, that they have altruistic concerns for the people there... much like the response Americans have always had for people suffering from a disaster.

why couldn't RCI just give them the money to cover for those weeks they were away? It wouldn't cost a lot. Problem solved, and it would be great PR

RCI has already donated $1 million... Every dollar counts... including the ones from tourists.

edit:

Americans have always been more giving than how others have perceived us to be. While the image of the "dirty American" tourist does exist, it's been my experience that our altruism as a whole is a completely different animal than our other image.

Even post-Katrina... Americans were giving strangers room in their homes to help those that had lost everything in New Orleans.

Frankly, with a little light hearted sarcasm, the French tourists in the Caribbean have always been the worst lot... even to the point where the "euro-trash" behavior was embarrassing the "dirty Americans"

tuff2 was not the only one missing your point. I have gone back and read all 5 posts you have made on this thread, and it seemed that every one of them discussed what RCI owed you and how everyone else on your cruise was as selfish as you and what RCI was going to have do to make sure that YOU were happy. Explain to me what point I missed.

Thom

Apparently your not to bright...and this has nothing to do about me being selfish! My point is that the situation in Hatti is a known issue. Catastrophic by the way...To put people at sea because they (RCI) don't want to anticipate a possible problem, is not a satisfactory resolution to the issue if it were to come up in the near future. To summarize: I understand that RCL has rights..but this is a unprecedented event in history that a large company needs to keep an eye on. RCL needs to think outside the box. The "what if scenario"...Prepare themselves and think of what the customer would need if things would change..

Do you get it?? Or do I need to send it via Morse code!

I had posted (on the Labadee thread that was pulled) that we have apprehensions about going on to Labadee ,(week of Jan 24 sailing) due to potential violence or disease. We noted on that post that if the ship does not stop there, the announcement would likely be “due to sea or weather conditions …” ( you know the speech)

We have been on many sailings when we could not make it to port. (Costa Maya, Grand Cayman, Coco Cay and have never had anything but a sea day)

We will assess the situation but at this point we expect to stay on board if the ship does stop there. It will be our first time (in close to 50 sailings) that we have not gotten of at a port.

M

They could find a spot! The Caribbean is a very large place..they would find a spot!

About four years ago, Haiti was experiencing political unrest. We were on Mariner of the Seas. Our day at Labadee was cancelled and we were given a day at sea...no other port was substituted. I think a very small amount was refunded to us as an OBC.

Feel free to read the actual FACTS about the benefits that Royal Caribbean's presence brings to the island and its inhabitants.

And thanks for the kind words about Americans. :rolleyes:

Actually the poster is correct. We Americans, as well as RCI, are not being viewed in a positive light regarding the Labadee thing.

I just posted a link to an article in the Guardian on one of the other Haiti threads. It's a good read if you come across it.

Apparently your not to bright...and this has nothing to do about me being selfish! My point is that the situation in Hatti is a known issue. Catastrophic by the way...To put people at sea because they (RCI) don't want to anticipate a possible problem, is not a satisfactory resolution to the issue if it were to come up in the near future. To summarize: I understand that RCL has rights..but this is a unprecedented event in history that a large company needs to keep an eye on. RCL needs to think outside the box. The "what if scenario"...Prepare themselves and think of what the customer would need if things would change..

Do you get it?? Or do I need to send it via Morse code!

Hurricanes hit Caribbean Islands on a regular basis. Known issue

Sea conditions impact the ability to tender into Grand Cayman. Known issue

Result: Sea day

Haiti earthquake: new issue, three choices

1. Dock

2. Take a known solution for issues with a port stay. I.E. sea day

3. Find and alternative port, not as easy as said as done.

That is not how it works. If something happened that made it likely that Labadee could not be used for an extended period of time, Royal would likely revise itineraries. If it is something impacting a small number of sailings, in all likelihood it would mean an extra sea day (and no substituted ports). This is the industry standard. There would not be compensation (aside from possibly $10 in port fees or a token gesture such as $50 OBC or a free cocktail hour). Probably 98% or so on your cruise would understand this and find it acceptable.

amen bro not much do there anyway but eat

RCI has already donated $1 million... Every dollar counts... including the ones from tourists.

edit:

Americans have always been more giving than how others have perceived us to be. While the image of the "dirty American" tourist does exist, it's been my experience that our altruism as a whole is a completely different animal than our other image.

Even post-Katrina... Americans were giving strangers room in their homes to help those that had lost everything in New Orleans.

Frankly, with a little light hearted sarcasm, the French tourists in the Caribbean have always been the worst lot... even to the point where the "euro-trash" behavior was embarrassing the "dirty Americans"

I know you all keep insisting RCI has donated one million dollars CASH and I've read all the statements from RCI but no where does it say CASH. While I am not in any way negating the fact RCI has stepped up to the plate and are working diligently to help, the stated one million dollar figure is ALL donations combined. I have done an exhaustive search on the internet to see if there was a million dollar CASH donation and no where does it say there is/was. I have to hand it to RCI, their legal department really uses semantics brilliantly!

Archived