Prohibited items

hoosier_done_it

From the NCL FAQ:

Passenger is not allowed to bring on board the vessel any intoxicating liquors, or beverages, firearms, weapons of any kind ....
So, my question is how picky are they? I've carried a small Swiss Army knife every day since I was 12. I consider it to be a tool, TSA says it is a weapon. Any experience with NCL's interpretation?

No actual experience, and I don't know how "small" your knife is.

The only place that it will be a problem is on initial security screening and perhaps when reboarding the ship in the various ports. If it was in your checked luggage on initial boarding it will most likely pass. If you carry it with you, you will need to put it out with the other metal objects in the tray / bin and then you will find out their take on that.

I would put it in your checked bag for check in (like you would on an airline) and then wear it on board or ashore as you wish. You should be able to handle being without it for a few hours.

I am aware of people who HAVE gotten through ship security with a pocket swiss knife and who have had it taken away for the duration. I also know of someone who was called to the naughty room for one in their luggage and had it confiscated for the duration.

So it just depends on how much they are paying attention.

From the NCL FAQ:

So, my question is how picky are they? I've carried a small Swiss Army knife every day since I was 12. I consider it to be a tool, TSA says it is a weapon. Any experience with NCL's interpretation?

I brought a traditional waiter's corkscrew that included a knife blade larger than most Swiss Army knives onto the Jewel in Miami in December. The security folks had no problem with it.

It all depends on the security as you board. You can take just about anything in your checked luggage. After all, they have steak knives onboard.

Going through ships security, it is actually comical. I have seen small knives confiscated and larger ones go through. Watched some people 'ask' security and the took them. Next person on group had same thing (gift knives) and just put them in their bag and it went right through with no problem, and away they went while the first person was filling out paperwork.

Packed my Swiss Army knife in my checked luggage last year on the Dawn and checked airport luggage. NO Problem. Except.......I looked for it this year for our cruise on the Jewel and couldn't find it. Took my leatherman this time and still no problem. Someone on the Dawn wound up with a nice Swiss knife.

Wifey got me a new one for Christmas. Only problem is.......it's big enough that it needs its own suitcase.:D

I have carried a small swiss knife since I was about 10.

Just toss it into your checked baggage when flying. I've never had a problem carrying one when boarding the ship, either on embarktation, or while reboarding in any port.

I have had them closely examine a tiny led flashlight that I carry, but I don't remember them even looking twice at my Victorinox.

I carry one also. Never had a problem on NCL.....TAS is another issue. Had them take one once.

One thing NCL is getting strict about is irons. I got called to the "naughty room" because they thought I had an iron. It turned out only to be a steamer the top of which is shaped like an iron. They still kept it until the end of the cruise!!! :eek:

Next time it goes in the carry-on! ;)

All the advice here is very good.

I actually knew more about this than I thought I did. Last October on a RCCL cruise I packed my faithful little red tool kit in my checked bag to get it through TSA, then unpacked it the next time I saw my luggage - in my stateroom. Each time through the metal detectors to get back on the ship, I dropped it and all my other metal stuff in a fanny pack that I use as a camera bag and sent it all through the x-ray. No problems. However, I just looked at the RCCL FAQ Prohibited Items (for the very first time :o) and guess what they say:

Prohibited items:

-Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.

-Sharp Objects, including knives and scissors.

{snip}

I had a pair of blunt tip scissors in a carry-on that they took from me, wrapped in cardboard and taped with a mile of tape, and then delivered it to my cabin. I couldn't really figure out the point of this. Maybe they thought I would attack the security people with the scissors in order to board faster, but I wouldn't be a danger with them once I got on the ship? Maybe I would use them to gain control of the ship . . . :eek:

I had a pair of sewing scissors confiscated on POA (I had taken some classes in Honolulu in Hawaiian Quilting). They returned them to me when we disembarked. Usually it's my husband who has to give up his pocket knife, but that got through and my scissors got caught.

Archived