Is this a good order/time frame for Rome?

maidut

This is our first visit to Rome. The Coliseum is the must see for me and my DH, so we want to see that first. We decided to wait on the Vatican Museums for a future trip, but would like to see St. Peters. Here is what we are thinking for a day from 8AM-8PM in port. Its a very "typical tourist" day, but we are excited about it :)

Please let me know if the time in each area is appropriate, if the order is the most time efficient and if it best to walk, bus, taxi or subway btwn the locations.

Thanks!

Train from Civetcchia to Ostiense, then the subway to the Coliseum 8:41 to 9:37 or 8:59 to 10:07)

enjoy the Coleseum from about 10-11:30

walk thorugh the Forum 11:30AM-12:15

Walk to Trevi Fountain – grab lunch and a gelato 12:30-1:30

Walk Pantheon 1:30-2:15

Spanish Steps - after the Pantheon. Jump on the #116 electric bus at Piazza della Rotonda and take it directly to the Spanish Steps 2:30-2:45

or would it be easier to just crab a taxi to the Spanish steps?

Piazza Navona- take a taxi or walk from Spanish Steps 3-3:30

Walk/taxi to Vatican to see St. Peters 4-5:15 or so

take one of these trains from Roma S. Pietro to Civ.

5:29 to 6:15 or 5:35 to 6:27 or 6 to7:04

If you must see the Spanish Steps, it's only going to happen in this plan if you take a taxi.

Everyone has heard about them and seen pictures of the steps, and so feels the need to see them. I understand, I did too. But really, it's just a big staircase with a lot of people on it, and a pretty fine view from the top.

My first advice is to drop the steps but, if you must, then you'll need to go by taxi. The electric bus does connect the two, but you could easily wait for 30 minutes for one to come along, only to have it full and unable to pick you up. They are small!

This is our first visit to Rome. The Coliseum is the must see for me and my DH, so we want to see that first. We decided to wait on the Vatican Museums for a future trip, but would like to see St. Peters. Here is what we are thinking for a day from 8AM-8PM in port. Its a very "typical tourist" day, but we are excited about it :)

Please let me know if the time in each area is appropriate, if the order is the most time efficient and if it best to walk, bus, taxi or subway btwn the locations.

Thanks!

Train from Civetcchia to Ostiense, then the subway to the Coliseum 8:41 to 9:37 or 8:59 to 10:07)

enjoy the Coleseum from about 10-11:30

walk thorugh the Forum 11:30AM-12:15

Walk to Trevi Fountain – grab lunch and a gelato 12:30-1:30

Walk Pantheon 1:30-2:15

Spanish Steps - after the Pantheon. Jump on the #116 electric bus at Piazza della Rotonda and take it directly to the Spanish Steps 2:30-2:45

or would it be easier to just crab a taxi to the Spanish steps?

Piazza Navona- take a taxi or walk from Spanish Steps 3-3:30

Walk/taxi to Vatican to see St. Peters 4-5:15 or so

take one of these trains from Roma S. Pietro to Civ.

5:29 to 6:15 or 5:35 to 6:27 or 6 to7:04

You are doing a certain amount of backtracking in the middle of the day. I'd suggest the following instead. After you see the Colosseum and Forum, take the Metro to Termini, change lines to the Red line, and get off at the Spanish steps exit. You'll be right at the bottom of the steps. From there, it's a nice walk to Trevi Fountain, then to the Pantheon, then to Piazza Navona. All these are more or less in line and not far apart. Lunch can be eaten at any of these places where you (a) are hungry and/or (b) see somewhere you want to eat.

After Piazza Navona, it's a good walk to the Vatican so if time is critical I'd advise just getting a taxi.

(P.S. I agree with eurocruiser about the Spanish Steps; if you decide to eliminate them, you could just walk to Trevi from the Colosseum/Forum, then continue as listed above.)

A couple of years ago, we pretty much did everything on your tour but in a different order. We got off at St Pietro and started our tour at the Vatican. We then took bus into the Termini station then picked up a connection to the Colisseum. All the buses in Rome seem to stop outside the station. You pass so many of the main sights on the bus, so keep your map nearby. On the way back we walked through the Forum / past the Circus Maximus and onto the sights you mentioned. Would highly recommend you buy yourself a good map when you arrive in Rome and walk. We chose a slightly different order. We did the Panthenon (amazing!!) then the Trevi Fountain - very very busy - and the Spanish Steps, which were fairly close together and on the same side of the Via del Corso. I climbed the Spanish steps (minus DH and after a HUGE ice-cream to cool me down) and for me it was one of those unmissable things I had to do and had always wanted to. I take it from your timings that you don't intend going into the Sistine Chapel etc? You will LOVE Rome :) but it can be very hot and dusty so have lots of stops and take water

you guys have such great insight! I really appreciate all your comments.

DENTONVIEW- that is right, no sistine chapel this trip, but a brief exploration of St. Peters.

I am not sure about the time allowances in the areas, is this too much or not enough? I re-worked the order to take cruisemom's suggestions into account:

arrive at coliseum by 10AM and stay until about 11:30

Walk to Forum 11:30-12:15

Spanish Steps take the Metro to Termini, change lines to the Red line, and get off at the Spanish steps exit. You'll be right at the bottom of the steps. 12:30-12:45

From there, it's a nice Walk to Trevi Fountain – 1-2 with Lunch

Walk to Pantheon- explore from about 2:15PM-3PM and walk to Piazza Navona

Piazza Navona- 3PM-3:30 PM

taxi to Vatican from Plaza Navona to see St. Peters- 3:45PM-5PM

catch train back to port at 5:30

If you're going in the summer, expect huge crowds and horrible heat. That may affect how much you can get done.

I agree with some of the others, I thought the Spanish Steps were way overrated.

We went at the end of November and it was not crowded at all. I love that my pictures don't have many people in them.

My 2 cents worth--the Spanish Steps are just that--steps. Just a big staircase as previously stated. The other things on your itinerary are so much more interesting to see--of course that's easy for those of us who have been there to say! Rest up the night before as you are sure to be worn out at the end of the day!

Cathy

Suggest Colosseum, Forum, Campidoglio (Capitoline hill). Take taxi to Spanish Steps (or not; very nice architecture and fountain, Super Chi-chi shops on via dei Condotti: Prada, YSL, Gucci, Armani et c.)

Then walk: Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, Piazza Navona, depending on your abilities and temperature . . . you can even walk to St. Pete's if you're up to it. Taxis are more time efficient than buses, but not the most honest people drive them.

Some people choose to take a private tour with driver & guide who can take you from & to Civitavecchia and around to all the sites you mentioned, including Vatican museum/Sistine Chapel. More relaxed and more comprehensive, if more expensive.

I actually love the Spanish Steps, particularly in the late afternoon. The view from the top (again particularly at sunset) is amazing. You can see the dome at the Vatican in the distance from this area. We walked from our hotel to the Spanish Steps several times, and found a street that took us directly to the top, then walked down the steps and on the Trevi Fountain. Look at your Rome map and find Via Sistina. It runs between Via del Tritone and the top of the Spanish Steps.

Our favorite site in Rome is the Trevi Fountain so we made a point of visiting it several times from early morning, while it was still roped off and being cleaned, mid-day, later afternoon and evening. It is truly amazing. We always make that our last place to visit as well while in Rome, to toss our coins into the fountain, wishing for a return trip.

Archived