Solstice in Labadee today

C 2 C

why not it's over 100 miles away.

Actually, they are transporting refugees and displaced folks, children without parents, those who've had medical treatment, and others to Cap Haitien, which is about 6 miles away where a large camp is being set up....and some supplies are being received at Cap Haitien and driven to Port au Prince by road....

So you're opposed to helping their economy?

That's a little precious, isn't it?

The point is....there is something terribly wrong about a bunch of tourists whooping it up on the beach, wolfing down burgers and drinks when a couple hundred thousand folks are dead, more dyiing everyday for lack of the very basics like food, water and medical treatment.

Many, many people are not getting of the ships at this location... Frankly, the ships who call there could simply offload supplies and move on. There is no need to party on the beach with death and suffering all around.

Here we go again. Take a look at this article, even a Senior Fellow at Dukes Institute of Ethics thinks they should go. And I totally agree. I still don't understand how you are allowed to have fun but only if on another island. It makes no sense.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/01/21/haiti.tourism.ethics/index.html?iref=allsearch

That's a little precious' date=' isn't it?

The point is....there is something terribly wrong about a bunch of tourists whooping it up on the beach, wolfing down burgers and drinks when a couple hundred thousand folks are dead, more dyiing everyday for lack of the very basics like food, water and medical treatment.

Many, many people are not getting of the ships at this location... Frankly, the ships who call there could simply offload supplies and move on. There is no need to party on the beach with death and suffering all around.[/quote']

There is death and suffering all over this world. I'm sure there is death and suffering in your very neighborhood. Do you stop your life because of it? If you haven't personally donated, the ones spending money in Labadee are doing more to help then you are.

After 9/11 NYC wanted nothing more then tourists to return to the city. Tourism is a huge part of Haiti's economy. So you want to shut down a main economic driver in addition to the earthquake?

If there was an earthquake in San Fran, can one not go to Disneyland in Anaheim?

There is death and suffering all over this world. I'm sure there is death and suffering in your very neighborhood. Do you stop your life because of it? If you haven't personally donated, the ones spending money in Labadee are doing more to help then you are.

After 9/11 NYC wanted nothing more then tourists to return to the city. Tourism is a huge part of Haiti's economy. So you want to shut down a main economic driver in addition to the earthquake?

If there was an earthquake in San Fran, can one not go to Disneyland in Anaheim?

Thank you. I agree 100%. It is a terrible tradegy and hopefully we have all donated or done what each of us could do to help. But life does go on, and what Haiti needs is $$$ from tourism. The Government has asked that the ships continue to come, they need they revenue.

There is no sign of devastation here.

Any money spent here would be of greater advantage to the people who live here than diverting the ship to another island where the need of tourist dollars is not so great.

This whole debate is completely beyond my comprehension. How can someone seriously believe that Royal Caribbean's 300+ local employees would be better off if the ships stop calling? They need their salaries now more than ever. They need to food and aid that is coming in via the ships. And most importantly, they need a sign of normality and stability in their lives. And who can seriously believe that the street vendors, store keepers, etc. would be better off if the ships stop calling? People would be left to starve.

Floris

In a way, I think it's more disrespectful not to go on the Island and support them. They have had nothing but tragedy for over a week, yet they are working trying to make money to support their families.. so you're going to just wave from the ship, while you're sitting at the pool drinking cocktails. We all need to do our part.. not only with the dollars we have donated to various relief funds, but also to directly support those in need.

Or... cruisers can contribute in other ways if they choose not to go on the island, can't they? We donated much more than we would spend on our frozen drink or trinket at Labadee. I certainly won't feel we are hurting their economy by staying onboard. By the way, we usually choose not to go on "private islands" at anytime. Hope I won't get any looks of disdain.

I agree with those who have stated that it is important for cruise ships to call at Haiti and for the passengers to get off and stimulate the Haitian economy. Yes, I realize Royal Caribbean "owns" the facilities at Haiti, but unless I am mistaken, there must be a staff of Haitians who work there?

If the ships did not stop there, these people would probably not get paid for the day's work. If for no other reason than that, I think it's important. Sure, I still think those who are able should donate to relief efforts (and/or volunteer their time and money to charitable organizations in their own hometowns), but just because you are enjoying your vacation (and thus giving several Haitians a job that they might not have otherwise), doesn't mean that you don't care about the tragedy that happened there.

The sentiments about "to be or not to be" calling on Labadee are varied and certainly very personal. We will be on Solstice soon, and I must admit that I have very mixed feelings about Labadee. On one hand, I am happy to know that ships are bringing much needed supplies and support to Haiti, but another part of me feels very sad about being the "haves" part of the "haves and have nots". I would not berate someone for having a differing opinion, nor would I want to be flamed for the way I feel. The one thing I think we can all agree on is what a terrible tragedy this has been, and continues to be; and that the people of Haiti need as much humanitarian help as the world can afford them.

Many, many people are not getting of the ships at this location... Frankly, the ships who call there could simply offload supplies and move on. There is no need to party on the beach with death and suffering all around.[/quote']

If you feel that it is unseemly to be "whooping it up on the beach, wolfing down burgers and drinks when a couple hundred thousand folks are dead, more dyiing everyday for lack of the very basics like food, water and medical treatment" then you will never go out and enjoy yourself. I think that it would be safe to say that pain, suffering, hunger, etc. exists every day in some corner of our planet. And, I'm sorry to add, that there was plenty of suffering in Haiti even before the earthquake shone a spotlight on the plight of Haiti.

It's been beaten to death, but why do so many people feel it's not ok for RCCL to stop at Ladabee, a stop which brings aid and income to Haitians, but feel that it's fine to be "whooping it up on the beach" a few miles further away? When did distance equate to respect? When did cutting off someone's income equate to helping them?

Nothing wrong with it at all.

I can't understand how those that feel that the ship shouldn't stop in Haiti, would be happier going to another island. The pain and suffering are still there - Just because you are not as near to it doesn't make it go away. Give what you can to help these people - at this point that is all we can do. Staying away will not help anyone!

Archived