Solstice in Labadee today

C 2 C

Just about everyone on board left the ship to go ashore. RCL is donating all revenue spent by guests ashore.

An average of $10 pp would yield $20,000 for local aid.

Here is a picture of one of the UN trucks picking up water and medical supplies

IMG_2676.jpg

I can't understand how those that feel that the ship shouldn't stop in Haiti, would be happier going to another island. The pain and suffering are still there - Just because you are not as near to it doesn't make it go away. Give what you can to help these people - at this point that is all we can do. Staying away will not help anyone!

These type of people like to bury their heads in the sand. They don't want to be bothered with problems like this. Their fear is that they may somehow see something affected by the quake.

I think if I were a passenger I'd prefer the option of purchasing a "shore excursion" with all proceeds going to one of the relief organizations and I would stay on the ship. To me, it seems a little inappropriate and just too soon.

On his blog, Adam Goldstein has said that on average $30,000 net revenue from on-shore activities is being donated to the relief fund. This is in addition to the normal per capita tax of $10 per passenger as well as the salaries paid to the 300 workers at Labadee and the 200 vendors who sell in the various straw markets.

After 9/11, the Mayor and Governor of New York constantly went on the air imploring tourists to keep coming to NYC,

On his blog, Adam Goldstein has said that on average $30,000 net revenue from on-shore activities is being donated to the relief fund. This is in addition to the normal per capita tax of $10 per passenger as well as the salaries paid to the 300 workers at Labadee and the 200 vendors who sell in the various straw markets.

After 9/11, the Mayor and Governor of New York constantly went on the air imploring tourists to keep coming to NYC,

That's in addition to the $1 million in aid pledged. As mentioned in today's Cruise Critic article on Haiti:

"Royal Caribbean will continue to donate all money made during Labadee calls through at least February 1, at which point the cruise line will re-evaluate the situation. The first three days of calls netted $110,000 -- all passed on to the relief effort.

Overall, the line has pledged at least $1 million in aid, but the final tally will far exceed that and is already projected to be closer to $2 million."

And yet they continue to attract negative press. Sad. Very sad.

I think the ships should go to Hati.Cruiseship passangers may be more likely to give to the relif effort after they have visited the country. I feel more of an attacment to places where I have been and talked to the locals.

Dominican Republic seems to be doing little or why the aid can't go through that country?

Some of it is, it's also being used as a staging area.

People go on about "haves & "have nots", earthquake etc, don't forget Haiti was a basket case long before the quake - poverty, squalor and privation in abundance.

Many of the Caribbean Island countries are a near disaster as well, as you'd see if you stayed more than a day but I don't hear people saying the ships shouldn't stop at those places.

Its gov't wants the ships to call & I'm sure the employees do as well.

Have a great trip.

That's a little precious' date=' isn't it?

The point is....there is something terribly wrong about a bunch of tourists whooping it up on the beach, wolfing down burgers and drinks when a couple hundred thousand folks are dead, more dyiing everyday for lack of the very basics like food, water and medical treatment.

Many, many people are not getting of the ships at this location... Frankly, the ships who call there could simply offload supplies and move on. There is no need to party on the beach with death and suffering all around.[/quote']

I whole heartedly agree. Read below the fold, everyone. Haiti-the most corrupt nation IN THE WORLD. Our American aid for YEARS has NOT gone to the people for the most part. The money you donate, except to agencies like US AID/Red Cross, etc. go into the pockets of corrupt locals. Corruption caused a large part of the damage to so many, many buildings-pay a fee to a corrupt building inspector and build without ANY regard for safety. Look at earthquakes/damage/death in other parts of the non corrupt world. Even severe earthquakes in California don't cause any where close to the destruction you see in Haiti.

The cruise lines would be revered if they dropped off supplies and PAID their employees without expecting to be reimbursed through drinks/food from passengers. And take off the silly stickers that were shown in the CC picture. The only people who will see those silly stickers are the aid workers distributing the water/food. Once the shrink wrap is gone, you really think a thirsty Haitian KNOWS or CARES where the water comes from? A pat on the back from the cruiselines to themselves. Definitely NOT a magnaimous gesture!!!

After 9/11 NYC wanted nothing more then tourists to return to the city. Tourism is a huge part of Haiti's economy. So you want to shut down a main economic driver in addition to the earthquake?

NYC wasn't DESTROYED, as much of Haiti is. Tourists were AFRAID to go to NYC, hence all the encouragement to return.

Why anyone would go to Haiti during this time is beyond me. Donate money DIRECTLY to the Royal Caribbean crew fund if you want to make an impact to the employees/vendors.

We donated much more than we would spend on our frozen drink or trinket at Labadee. I certainly won't feel we are hurting their economy by staying onboard. By the way, we usually choose not to go on "private islands" at anytime. Hope I won't get any looks of disdain.

I am sure there will be no looks of disdain but if my cruise was stopping at Labadee I would spend some time and money there. Haitians earn money from the tourist trade why do away with their jobs in the time of a disaster ? The cruise area was not affected by the earthquake so why penalize the locals who work there.

Sure the US and the UN will give tons of money and many people will donate millions of dollars to the people of haiti, BUT THAT MONEY WILL EVENTUALLY STOP pouring in. Then what ?

I would rather see people earning money, emergency supplies being off loaded and passengers doing there best to help keep at least on small area in an earthquake torn country running.

Or the ship could stop on another nearby island and party as usual there.

bosco

There is death and suffering all over this world. I'm sure there is death and suffering in your very neighborhood. Do you stop your life because of it? If you haven't personally donated, the ones spending money in Labadee are doing more to help then you are.

After 9/11 NYC wanted nothing more then tourists to return to the city. Tourism is a huge part of Haiti's economy. So you want to shut down a main economic driver in addition to the earthquake?

If there was an earthquake in San Fran, can one not go to Disneyland in Anaheim?

You are so right on that. We had a trip planned to NYC the first week of October, 2001 and after 9/11 we were in a quandry as to what to do. We decided to go anyway and we were treated like long lost family members in every single store and restaurant we entered. There were hugs and huge thank you's from everyone because NYC was literally dying from the lack of people in the city. We made sure to go to the small mom and pop establishments, those that were in danger of closing, and just like in Haiti, every dollar helped. It was one of our most memorable visits. You can't do anything about those who have already passed, but you sure can do something to help the living. You don't have to party, just get off and buy something and get back on---every dollar helps their people.

I am going to put in my 2 cents. Isn't RCCL, Celebrity concerned about aftershocks? And how would they get those pax back on the ship if that side of the island got distroyed? They have been taking a huge risk.

I am going to put in my 2 cents. Isn't RCCL, Celebrity concerned about aftershocks? And how would they get those pax back on the ship if that side of the island got distroyed? They have been taking a huge risk.
Taking a look at your signature block I see you have been on a Caribbean cruise. You do realize don't you that almost all islands in the Caribbean sit on an edge of a tectonic plate and both earthquakes and volcanoes occur often [speaking in geological time]. The strike-slip fault running under southern Haiti runs east-west, and appears to have no connection to the northern part of the island where Labadee is located.

Thom

I have been to labadee several times and will still do so. Even before the earthquake I was very aware that Haiti was a very poor country and that by spending time in labadee, buying a few trinkets, tipping the local musicians and restroom attendance i was "giving" something back.

You need to think what if your relatives lost everything but you still had a home and work? You would do what you could to help them. But what if you lost your job because people thought is was immoral to still pay you when your relatives are suffering? Now that just doesn't make sense.

So you should still go to labadee and support the local staff that way you can direct support the local community.

In fact knowing the RCL are donating all revenue from the stop at labadee i would certainly spend more.

NYC wasn't DESTROYED, as much of Haiti is. Tourists were AFRAID to go to NYC, hence all the encouragement to return.

Why anyone would go to Haiti during this time is beyond me. Donate money DIRECTLY to the Royal Caribbean crew fund if you want to make an impact to the employees/vendors.

Much of Haiti is not destroyed, as Labadee and Cape Haitian prove.

Why go to Haiti? To continue delivering much needed supplies into the country and to continue to support the remaining economy by continuing business in area's unaffected by the disaster.

For everyone's info, Disneyland and Disneyworld (as almost all theme parks in the USA) both closed only on the day of the 9/11 attacks and were opened again Wednesday, September 12, 2001. Was that a good decision? I'd say like Labadee yes.

Because one city make a not a whole country.

Just home from the Solstice. Posted some thoughts about Labadee from the ship, but that thread is buried somewhere. If you read my past posts on a Haiti visit you will see that clearly I questioned it. I wrote to X indicating my feelings and making some suggestions on fund raising activities. The visit has changed my opinion.

I spent my time speaking to locals about the situation. They expressed a very genuine appreciation for our visit. Some were surprised that Americans even knew about the situation and were grateful for any support. One said "God Bless America."

The ship off loaded supplies. They brought family of Hatian crew members to the ship and offered to take care of them. All proceeds from the visit were donated to relief efforts. RCL is matching dollar for dollar all crew contributions. I didn't do the beach thing, I didn't take tours, but this was the most personally fulfilling port call I ever made. RCL should be comended for their actions.

I whole heartedly agree. Read below the fold, everyone. Haiti-the most corrupt nation IN THE WORLD. Our American aid for YEARS has NOT gone to the people for the most part. The money you donate, except to agencies like US AID/Red Cross, etc. go into the pockets of corrupt locals. Corruption caused a large part of the damage to so many, many buildings-pay a fee to a corrupt building inspector and build without ANY regard for safety. Look at earthquakes/damage/death in other parts of the non corrupt world. Even severe earthquakes in California don't cause any where close to the destruction you see in Haiti.

The cruise lines would be revered if they dropped off supplies and PAID their employees without expecting to be reimbursed through drinks/food from passengers. And take off the silly stickers that were shown in the CC picture. The only people who will see those silly stickers are the aid workers distributing the water/food. Once the shrink wrap is gone, you really think a thirsty Haitian KNOWS or CARES where the water comes from? A pat on the back from the cruiselines to themselves. Definitely NOT a magnaimous gesture!!!

I've often wondered what a mental Pigmy thinks... :rolleyes:

Just got off the Solstice and I can say that I heard no one talking about the stop. The locals seemed to be happy and the U.N. didn't have any issues with sending their truck to the pier to pick up supplies. I wonder why CNN didn't donate the money it cost to video the ship for CNN International to the relief effort. It's old news and a "controversy" started by the media. Ask a question and when you get a different answer, you have an instant "controversy". I think that RCCL/Celebrity has stepped to the line and made a logical, smart choice. Why penalize all other Haitians because someone in the media thinks it's a bad idea!

For people who are upset about people cruising to Haiti right now. If you have a bad feeling about it, then don't go. It is no different however; to say 'I would feel bad being on a beach when not too far away people are hurting, trapped, etc'. Then how can you justify going to any Caribbean Island right now, they are ALL not that far apart. Would you have still vacationed in Texas after Katrina? After all it was close to that Hurricane. Each person has thier own opinion, and staying away from Labadee will do no one any good except that it makes it easier to pretend it never happened. My opinion, go and enjoy and let RCCL do thier job to help the people there.

Archived