Best Trip Protection for Cruise/Air/Medical

hartskys

Never heard of TruTravel!

Your Total Cruise/Airfare cost is $2547 for 3 adults ages 45? 45? and 79? for How many Day Cruise?

ken

6 night cruise with hotel before and after and round trip airfare. Only paid deposit final payment is due in a few weeks. Ages 42, 46, 79

I went on insuremytrip.com and compared a lot of policys. I'm new at this so I'm a little lost. It seems to me TruTravel insurance is pretty good with a good rate of $137. I'm looking at around $2547 for our trip to be insured at and includes my MIL at 79 years old. Has anyone used this company?

In absence of all your info:

CSA Freestyle is a very good, medium priced Policy. Two adults age 45 each insured at $850 each for 5-day cruise would be about $50pp premium. Adding MIL would be about $150 for MIL.

ken

Right now I am booked with Carnival but I looked at Travelocity and they are offering $100 OBC if booked with American Express and travel insurance is $51 pp. Has anyone ever went through them?

Any comment on switching from Carnival to Travelocity?

If you're traveling with kids, you GOTTA consider TravelEx and TravelInsured, as they insure kids free with insured adults!!!!!!

Premiums should be same whether you purchase from insuremytrip or direct from the Insurer. If you're a member of USAA, I believe they discount TravelInsured premiums a little bit for their members.

ken

We are members of USAA, where can I find the information regarding a discount?

In absence of all your info:

CSA Freestyle is a very good, medium priced Policy. Two adults age 45 each insured at $850 each for 5-day cruise would be about $50pp premium. Adding MIL would be about $150 for MIL.

ken

Carnival has my MIL as the 3rd person which is only $289 plus air of $160. Couldn't I insure her as that amount and the balance of it on us?

If you're traveling with kids, you GOTTA consider TravelEx and TravelInsured, as they insure kids free with insured adults!!!!!!

Premiums should be same whether you purchase from insuremytrip or direct from the Insurer. If you're a member of USAA, I believe they discount TravelInsured premiums a little bit for their members.

ken

Nevermind! I found the USAA information!

We are members of USAA, where can I find the information regarding a discount?

I went to USAA site and ran some sample numbers for their TravelInsured Policies, then went to the TravelInsured site and ran the same numbers. The USAA rates were maybe 9% cheaper.

ken

Right now I am booked with Carnival but I looked at Travelocity and they are offering $100 OBC if booked with American Express and travel insurance is $51 pp. Has anyone ever went through them?

I don't know about Travelocity. I used Expedia for my last cruise on RCCL and there were no issues.

Carnival has my MIL as the 3rd person which is only $289 plus air of $160. Couldn't I insure her as that amount and the balance of it on us?

Even better. Insure MIL for $289 + $160 for about $65 premium with Carnival. Are you using Carnival FlyAweigh? in which case you don't have to add in the airfare, as it's covered. If MIL has any pre-existing conditions, and files a medical claim that's denied as being due to pre-existing medical conditions, she'd get a future cruise credit in her name. Make sure that your Agent does not feel that in order to insure your MIL you have to insure everyone in the cabin.

Insure yourself and spouse with maybe TravelInsured Trip Protector or TravelGuard Premier Protect Assist, or even cheaper TravelEX Basic (in which cases you add cruisefare + airfare). Purchase w/in a few days of booking to ensure that you get "waiver of pre-existing conditions" coverage.

the 3rd party Policies factor age into the premium, thus they are more expensive than Carnival for the elderly above 70, and quite a bit less than Carnival for the young.

No advice on TA versus Carnival Booking, other than if you're only saving $100 for combined 3 people I personally wouldn't do it and would stick with Carnival booking.

FYI - We're not allowed to mention specific Travel Agencies / sites here.

I went to USAA site and ran some sample numbers for their TravelInsured Policies, then went to the TravelInsured site and ran the same numbers. The USAA rates were maybe 9% cheaper.

ken

I ran my policy numbers through both TravelInsured's site and USAA.

My USAA TravelInsured policy came out @ $200, whereas TravelInsured's site was $300 for the exact policy (WW Trip Protector)...quite a savings.

As a matter of fact, USAA has the added benefit of higher missed connection; baggage & personal effects; and medical expense payouts.

Thanks Ken. You have been a great help. I spoke to my MIL last night and she has had no health issues or medicine changes for over a year. She really is a healthy woman except for her eye sight going very fast. Should she go into her doctor and get a clean bill of health paper and should we have it dated for the same day we buy insurance?

I ran my policy numbers through both TravelInsured's site and USAA.

My USAA TravelInsured policy came out @ $200, whereas TravelInsured's site was $300 for the exact policy (WW Trip Protector)...quite a savings.

As a matter of fact, USAA has the added benefit of higher missed connection; baggage & personal effects; and medical expense payouts.

Not sure what you're saying here? The WW Trip Protector Policy on USAA has exactly the same coverages as the WW Trip Protector Policy at the TravelInsured site. both are $750 Missed Connection, $1500 Baggage and Personal Effects and $50,000 medical Payout. It's the same Policy. ken

I just bought the Trutravel, super saver today to insure my trip for me (26) and my mom(54) for a total of $1738 for the both of us for $60. It seemed to have the coverage I wanted for a low price since I'm paying for the trip for both of us. I have a 10 day free trail too. So, If I find something better between now and 10 days I can get my money back. I wanted unemployment coverage just b/c I've been laid off before in the past and I'm paranoid about that, but I hope my VP wouldn't give me vacation off and then know I was going to get let go in the next 4 months. A chance I'll have to take.

Oh, Q? Is the $60 I paid the premimum?

I did forget to try my credit card for travel insurance though...I should look at that. Thanks for the reminder.

If one of us would get sick and need antibiotics or god forbid one of us would break a leg on the ship and we had trip insurance (lets just say through Carnival) would it be covered 100% with this insurance?

Yes - as long as you get receipts/bills for everything. Also, with Carnival (and several others) if you require continuing treatment for that illness/injury, you're covered for one year (the continuing coverage would be for anuything that your regular Health Insurance (if any) doesn't pay for.

ken

Thanks Ken. You have been a great help. I spoke to my MIL last night and she has had no health issues or medicine changes for over a year. She really is a healthy woman except for her eye sight going very fast. Should she go into her doctor and get a clean bill of health paper and should we have it dated for the same day we buy insurance?

You really don't need to do that. IF you ended-up filing a claim, they'll ask for all her medical records and figure everything out for themselves.

Color me cynical, but It might actually be counterproductive to do this, as there'd be a record of a Doctors visit on the day you bought the insurance.

ken

My husband and I booked the Dream Blogger's cruise and bought Travelex thru insure my trip. My father-in-law had surgery, suffered complications and was in CCU. We had to cancel the trip 4 days before sale date. He had all kinds of pre existing conditions that perhaps could qualify , however we got the documentation and claim paperwork to Old Republic who wrote the policy. We received the full amount of our money within 4 weeks of cancellation. We bought the insurance the day we paid for the cruise in full. It came to around $300.00. Our cruise was over $3000.00. Could not afford not to have insurance. Hope this helps.

My dd got sick on the ship and had to go twice to the ship's doctor. My dh called the insurance company. They said to submit to her health insurance company at work. If they did not reimburse her, that the trip insurance would. Her health insurance paid it.

So if you buy the insurance through the cruise company on the day you book, you are covered for all health issues including preexisting?

I booked a cruise thru NWA and it was actually Travelocity and I took the $51 insurance they offered. The coverage was thru Berkley. It was a good choice. When our flight had to be diverted due to weather and we missed the ship all our costs were covered. Two nights hotel, airfare to catch up with the cruise and meals. A surprise was the 2 unused days we missed of the cruise they reimbursed us for. Reimbursement came in about 2 weeks. This was in December, 2009.

My dd got sick on the ship and had to go twice to the ship's doctor. My dh called the insurance company. They said to submit to her health insurance company at work. If they did not reimburse her, that the trip insurance would. Her health insurance paid it.

So if you buy the insurance through the cruise company on the day you book, you are covered for all health issues including preexisting?

You're covered for health issues covered in the Policy. You'd be covered for pre-exisitng if that Policy offers Waiver of Pre-Existing conditions (but Carnival's Berkely doesn't - you'd get a future cruise CREDIT if your claim is denied as being due to a pre-existing condition - 60 day lookback window).

If you were to purchase one of the several PRIMARY plans, you would not have to first submit bills to your own insurance, the Trip Insurance would cover everything. Carnival's Berkely is SECONDARY. ken

Not sure what you're saying here? The WW Trip Protector Policy on USAA has exactly the same coverages as the WW Trip Protector Policy at the TravelInsured site. both are $750 Missed Connection, $1500 Baggage and Personal Effects and $50,000 medical Payout. It's the same Policy. ken

On the TravelInsured website, when I click on "Worldwide Trip Protector" and then on the "Benefits" tab, it comes up as $500 Missed Connection, $1000 Baggage and Personal Effects and $25,000 medical Payout.

The numbers you quoted were for TravelInsured WW Trip Protector GOLD...that policy would have cost me $417 (vs. the $300 they quoted for the plain vanilla WW Trip Protector). So I guess I kinda got some of the benefits offered on the "GOLD" too.

I'm guessing that USAA negotiated a better deal with TravelInsured since they are offering it up to their membership; moreover, I guess USAA is passing along part (or all?) of their commission as a savings to their members.

It's well worth the time for USAA members to check out the TravelInsured plans offered up on the USAA membership website--it my case, it was a 33% savings.

You really don't need to do that. IF you ended-up filing a claim, they'll ask for all her medical records and figure everything out for themselves.

Color me cynical, but It might actually be counterproductive to do this, as there'd be a record of a Doctors visit on the day you bought the insurance.

ken

Ken - what do you think of Travelex? If we buy it before Wed. it looks like it would cover any pre-existing conditions and has much more coverage then Carnival has and is cheaper.

Ken - what do you think of Travelex? If we buy it before Wed. it looks like it would cover any pre-existing conditions and has much more coverage then Carnival has and is cheaper.

I see nothing wrong with TravelEx!

They generally cover kids free with insured adults, most of their policies offer a Medical Upgrade if you want to increase the Medical coverage, they are PRIMARY insurance so you don't have to file claims first with your personal health coverage, and (at least TravelPlus and TravelLite) include a $5000 Hospital advance if required to get you admitted to a Hospital.

If you're looking at TravelEX Basic, just note that the Trip Interruption coverage is only 100% of your TripCost, which might be low if you had to buy airfare to catch-up to a cruise, and the Medical is only $15,000 - but both still equal or better than Carnival's!

TravelEx you have to purchase w/in 21 days of Cruise Deposit and you have to be medically fit to travel the day you purchase.

ken

On the TravelInsured website, when I click on "Worldwide Trip Protector" and then on the "Benefits" tab, it comes up as $500 Missed Connection, $1000 Baggage and Personal Effects and $25,000 medical Payout.

The numbers you quoted were for TravelInsured WW Trip Protector GOLD...that policy would have cost me $417 (vs. the $300 they quoted for the plain vanilla WW Trip Protector). So I guess I kinda got some of the benefits offered on the "GOLD" too.

I'm guessing that USAA negotiated a better deal with TravelInsured since they are offering it up to their membership; moreover, I guess USAA is passing along part (or all?) of their commission as a savings to their members.

It's well worth the time for USAA members to check out the TravelInsured plans offered up on the USAA membership website--it my case, it was a 33% savings.

Boatsie - thanks for the info - I'll re-check later today, I must/may have missed something! thanks, Ken

Archived