Safe to do land tour on my own?

lmt1022

I had booked an independent land tour for myself and my husband before our Southbound cruise in July. We were going to fly into Anchorage, rent a car and drive to Seward, spend a few nights there, do the Kenai tour, SeaLife Center, Exit Glacier, etc. From there we were planning to drive to Denali , spend 2 nights and take the shuttle into the park, Husky Homestead and whitewater rafting. Then my husband was leaving and my Mom and daughter were flying in for our Southbound cruise.

Now it looks like my husband will not be coming (long story) - However, I

I know I definitely still want to go and I know I would enjoy doing this on my own - But, is this safe or should I try to find a friend that could join me?

I travel all the time for work, so am very savvy with renting cars, hotels, driving in unfamiliar areas, etc. But, was not sure it is wise to travel alone in remote parts of Alaska (the drive to Denali, exploring Seward, etc.)

Any single ladies do this before? Any concerns with safety?

Thanks.

I haven't driven those highways on my own, but I have been on them several times on coaches - a private tour, a Princess tour, a HAL transfer. I've never experienced being out there when I would think of it as "remote"! Most of the time there's a lot of traffic that can get very slow at times. Also, I think that as long as you stay on the highway, cell phones should work just fine. I'd vote for - go for it!

I have been driving the roads and highways of Alaska on my own for decades. Never thought once about not doing so. Have done it winter and summer, although I tend to avoid summers in Alaska as I don't like crowds.

If you want to do it, then do it.

I can tell you how confident I feel about traveling alone in Alaska: I have pulled over and slept in my car many times. Our Dad reared us to be independent and capable. I am more concerned about my city life that I live now that all those lonely miles in Alaska.

The really old joke in Alaska is that typical Alaskan attire makes it difficult to tell the boys from the girls anyway!

Although I have not "gone" to Alaska on my own, I have gone off on all day trips by myself, without a single hesistation. (I have no problem prowling around NYC by myself for days either) IF you can find someone to go with your, then certainly the split costs may be of benefit??

But, it isn't your first time by yourself, so I would say, YES, go and enjoy this wonderful place. :)

Heck, I've traveled all over the state for years on business and pleasure by myself. Though if it's usually for pleasure my faithful sidekick Shadow is with me. Though now at 14 and basically deaf she mainly sleeps as I drive but I still talk to her as we go along and heck she's done some of the roads so much with me that she knows when were getting close to some of our destinations :D

As I tell everyone that's coming up, if you're traveling just be aware of your surroundings and don't do anything that you wouldn't do if you were at home in regards to your safety.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Heck, I've traveled all over the state for years on business and pleasure by myself. Though if it's usually for pleasure my faithful sidekick Shadow is with me. Though now at 14 and basically deaf she mainly sleeps as I drive but I still talk to her as we go along and heck she's done some of the roads so much with me that she knows when were getting close to some of our destinations :D

Susan, it's ok to travel with your shadow and to talk to your shadow. However when you shadow starts talking to you, it may be time to check into one of the Denali rehabs!

Susan, it's ok to travel with your shadow and to talk to your shadow. However when you shadow starts talking to you, it may be time to check into one of the Denali rehabs!

Heck if that happens, I'm retiring and taking her on tour :D Always tell her with some of her vet bills I wish I could declare her as a dependent on my health insurance. But we do what we must for our faithful 4 legged kids :)

Susan in Anchorage :)

Amen, AK - you're my kinda girl! My dogs are my babies and its ridiculous what we spend to keep 'em healthy and happy! Lucky you having Shadow so long! We just lost our dear girl Bailey in November, and its taking some getting used to having a one-dog household again after all these years. Enjoy each and every moment with Shadow - I'm glad you two still get to travel together thru that beautiful state of yours!

I have been to Alaska once with my DH and I have to say, that I would not feel uncomfortable travelling there alone. I would probably only drive in daylight if I was by myself, and of course have my cell phone and water with me. That said, if you have a friend that would like to go, is able to go and whose company you enjoy, then that would be wonderful.

One suggestion: Either at the car rental, or the first gas station you find, have your tires checked for air. We were on the Parks HIghway and noticed that one tire was low. We had the Milepost with us so I looked up how far to the next gas station. It was quite a ways up the road and when we got there they did not have air. Totally unbelievable that a gas station along the Parks Highway would not have air. So, we had to continue and drive to the next gas station. Fortunately the tire was not damaged, but just needed a bit of air.

Archived