Space Saver bags

VeggieCruzer

As anyone used these. I love to pack with them but I'm worried about not having a vaccuum to use when it comes time to go home. Is there a possibility of getting ahold of one?

You can get some travel space savers that you roll and don't need a vacumm. I don't use them when I go to the cruise but take them with us and use them on the way back. When we flew you have to be careful if you use them to watch your luggage weight. They are great for swimsuits, and dirty laundry on the way home. I have also used a plain 5 gallon (large I think ) ziplock bag and it works also. Hope this helps.:)

Get the travel ones - no vacuum needed. Just fill and roll them to squeeze the air out. They let you put so much in your luggage you can go over the weight limit quickly so watch for that.

And I can speak from my Dh's experience - follow the instructions to LOOSELY drop the clothes in up to the fill line. My DH is the overpacker in our family and cramming too much in them will cause them to explode while trying to squeeze the air out. :p

I have heard of ppl asking their room steward for a vacuum for this purpose, so I don't think you'd have a problem. Like the other person said, they also make bags with valves that you can roll instead of vacuum to get the air out, plus any good-quality Ziploc bag works, too. (The cheaper Ziploc-type brands aren't air-tight and slowly air leaks back in.)

I use Ziplocs for some of my toiletries that don't fit in the toiletry bag that the suitcase came with, including for my bath scrubby, and roll the air out (after closing most of the bag, then once you've rolled the bag to the top, close the last inch or so). I've also used Ziplocs for dry dog food and dog treats.

I have heard of ppl asking their room steward for a vacuum for this purpose, so I don't think you'd have a problem. Like the other person said, they also make bags with valves that you can roll instead of vacuum to get the air out, plus any good-quality Ziploc bag works, too. (The cheaper Ziploc-type brands aren't air-tight and slowly air leaks back in.)

I use Ziplocs for some of my toiletries that don't fit in the toiletry bag that the suitcase came with, including for my bath scrubby, and roll the air out (after closing most of the bag, then once you've rolled the bag to the top, close the last inch or so). I've also used Ziplocs for dry dog food and dog treats.

What do you do with dog food on a cruise? :D:p;)

Shay

Get the travel ones - no vacuum needed. Just fill and roll them to squeeze the air out. They let you put so much in your luggage you can go over the weight limit quickly so watch for that.

And I can speak from my Dh's experience - follow the instructions to LOOSELY drop the clothes in up to the fill line. My DH is the overpacker in our family and cramming too much in them will cause them to explode while trying to squeeze the air out. :p

We've had busted (torn, small hole) the travel Space bags on vacation. We squish & pack those last. Once inside the closed suitcase they won't expand.

It takes a lot to break these bags.

I like the travel compression bags better than the ziplock. They fit better in my suitcase. I have the real Space bags, Target and Walmart knockoffs and ones I've picked up at the Dollar Tree. The original Space Bags work the best over the long term. (I don't work for or sell them, just a consumer testing them.)

We've had busted (torn, small hole) the travel Space bags on vacation. We squish & pack those last. Once inside the closed suitcase they won't expand.

It takes a lot to break these bags.

I like the travel compression bags better than the ziplock. They fit better in my suitcase. I have the real Space bags, Target and Walmart knockoffs and ones I've picked up at the Dollar Tree. The original Space Bags work the best over the long term. (I don't work for or sell them, just a consumer testing them.)

I agree - the real space bags are much better than the Target ones. The only time we've had them bust is when my dh stuffed WAY too much in them and kept cramming before he tried to squeeze the air out. The whole seam down one side exploded. Scared me to death - it sounded like a gunshot! :p

We take dog bones with us when we snorkel. The fish love them and come right up to you and eat them.

Learn something new everyday! With two dogs and a cat, I've got plenty to bring with us if we plan on snorkeling.

DH just said, "and what eats fish? Sharks!" We may not be trying the dog food.

:rolleyes:

Shay

As anyone used these. I love to pack with them but I'm worried about not having a vaccuum to use when it comes time to go home. Is there a possibility of getting ahold of one?

I ordered the travel ones from the space bags website and got a combo set with different sizes. I've used them for my trip to California and my cruise on the Freedom. They're pretty easy to roll and they helped save a lot of space (I tend to stuff my suitcase:rolleyes:). As for the wrinkles. I carry a travel size bottle of downy wrinkle release spray.

Downey Wrinkle Release. I don't travel without it.

Shay

I second that! I tend to use the space bags for casual stuff mostly. Socks, t-shirts, underwear, bathing suits. I don't really care about the wrinkles on those.

The other stuff like DH's dress pants and khakis or my dinner clothes I spray with Wrinkle Release the first day as I unpack and hang them and the wrinkles are gone by the time I'm ready to wear.

I have a travel size bottle and keep a huge bottle at home - haven't plugged in my iron since I discovered the stuff a few years ago. :D

OP,

I used to use them all the time:

The DW still does.

On our last cruise we had late dinner seating and the steward let us use his vacuum when we returned from dinner (about 10 pm)... (which was really great of him) he got an extra tip as well as the ppd gratuities.

I switched the the Sky roll luggage ( its basically a carry on with a garment bag rolled to the outside of it.) It forces you to pack smarter

But you should not have an issue.

i found myself over packing and carrying close to 50 lbs of luggage in a single bag with the space saver bags, its was too much. But i had a plentiful supply of clothes:D

So use away, you cannot go wrong with them.

You do not need a vacuum. Just press all the air out and they work just the same.

You can either remove the plug and replace after you squeeze out the air... or... leave about an inch of the ziploc unzipped and when all the air is out just zip the last little bit.

I have never used a vacuum and can get those buggers virtually air-free with just hand pressure!

My family swears by the travel space bags... we've used them for a couple years now. Lately I've stopped using them because I found that if I just take the time to fold my clothes really neatly & flat it takes up around the same amount of space than if I used the bags. I don't like my clothes to get all wrinkly either.

What do you do with dog food on a cruise? :D:p;)

Shay

It is delicious! :D

I'm kidding; I've never tried it, but it is all-natural, human-grade, made in the same factories/kitchens as food for human consumption, so I'm sure it is actually delicious. LOL, on my last trip my cousin was with me and she saw me preparing the food and seriously wanted to try some! I don't think my dog would've been very happy about that! ;)

The dog food is for my service dog, whether on a land trip or cruise trip. Although, this past week I just ordered a waterproof nylon-outer storage bag that has a flat top that zippers closed, so I'll be trying that out this trip instead of the individual Ziploc bags (one for each dinner). (I'm taking a collapsible silicone measuring cup that folds up flat, so that won't take up much room.)

The dog food is for my service dog

I have seen a service dog on a cruise. I actually dined in the MDR and the dog was at (or lying near) the next table. No dress code was required for the dog, which I thought was appropriate, as the dog wore fur.

I just hate to leave my dog, and do wish the ships were pet-friendly though I do understand why they cannot be. There are enough cruisers who act like animals that they already have their hands full.

No dress code was required for the dog, which I thought was appropriate, as the dog wore fur.

Oh yes, dhaling, fur is always in style! ;)

Although, on my previous cruise (and likely my upcoming one), on formal night I did put a feathery hair boa barrette thing in my dog's topknot (on top of her head). No pearl necklace, though; they only make those for little dogs.

There are enough cruisers who act like animals that they already have their hands full.

LOL!!

Archived