Cruise ship leaving without you?

dsal

This will be our first cruise. I know that it's important to bring a watch and keep track of when to be back on the ship when going on land excursions, and to allow plenty of time to return to said ship, etc. But I'm wondering how often a ship sails off without passengers who didn't make it back in time? Does the ship keep track of who left and who should be returning? Does the ship ever delay leaving port in order to wait for a straggler?

Not planning on being one of those stragglers! Just wondering what goes on in those circumstances!

dsal

You get checked off & back on again, every port you hear will XXXX of cabin XXXX contact the desk, I suppose they do but if they ain't back in time it's hard luck & down to them to find either their way to the next stop or home. They also kick people off for ''misbehaving''

Yes, they do keep track of who has not reboarded, but yes, they will leave without you. Don't count on them cutting you any slack.

If you are on a ship-sponsored shore excursion they will wait if the excursion is late. We have been in that situation a couple of times. Once they literally pulled up the gangway as soon as I stepped on board.

It's happened on almost every cruise we've been on....folks tend to get carried away with their "fun" and simply run late....maybe they are late for everything...I don't know. But, if you keep your eye on the time (and traffic, if you're far away), you'll be fine.

Especially if you are new to cruising I would highly recommend that you only book ship sponsored excursions. If only for the piece of mind that you won't be stuck on the dock waving to the ship and trying to figure out how to meet up with her at the next port, at your expense by the way.

That being said, we love to find a place on the Lido deck facing the dock and listen for the announcment and look for "runners". These are the folks that did't keep track of time and are running for the ship. (Some actually stagger)

Unless you are on a ship sponsored excursion that has not returned yet then the ship WILL leave without you. They do keep track and they do know you are not aboard but they will still leave. By the way taking a ship excursion then getting off at the end to do shopping does not mean they will wait if you don't make it back on time which is suppose to be 30 min prior to sail away time.

Look on You Tube for the video about the ship leaving without you...

I always laughed thinking of those running to catch the ship, but after seeing this video I was close to tears. Although it was probably their own fault, how devastated they must have felt. :(

This will be our first cruise. I know that it's important to bring a watch and keep track of when to be back on the ship when going on land excursions, and to allow plenty of time to return to said ship, etc. But I'm wondering how often a ship sails off without passengers who didn't make it back in time? Does the ship keep track of who left and who should be returning? Does the ship ever delay leaving port in order to wait for a straggler?

Not planning on being one of those stragglers! Just wondering what goes on in those circumstances!

dsal

You will get a great opportunity to see and take photo's of what your ship looks like as it sails w/out you ! :eek:

Archived