Where to stay in Beautiful Vancouver

Renorita

We only have day and night before embarking on our cruise on the Infinity. Any good places to stay near the pier would be appreciated. Would like a bay view if possible, but want to keep the price under $200 if possible.

Also reasonable places to eat and things to do, also within walking distance of the pier would be appreciated. Not fancy, just good food. :) Thank you!

We ended a Hawaii cruise 1 1/2 years ago in Vancouver. We spent an afternoon at Granville Island and had a relaxing and fabulous time just wandering around and then had the best fish & chips and orangina martini I've ever had at Bridges Restaurant.

I think this is about 20-30 minutes from the pier with plenty of taxi's around but you should probably check before you get stranded!

http://www.granvilleisland.bc.ca

We stayed in downtown Vancouver at FAIRMONT HOTEL VANCOUVER which was good but we were so exhausted from the cruise that we just vegged out in front of the tv.

There's a bazillion restaurants in the area, and the downtown is easily pricelined. Probably the PanPacific or Fairmont are good choices if you MUST stay immediately next to the pier.

A very affordable and pleasant activity if you're on foot is to take the North Vancouver ferry - only a couple of dollars, and pretty scenic, and of course, Stanley Park is always great.

Try Priceline. We did and got the Haborside Marriott for $129. Nice hotel, downtown and depending now where they put you, a view of the harbor. Unfortunately, they were building high rise condo between the harbor and the hotel last year. Still a nice hotel and relatively close to the pier and, I think our taxi was about 12.00

Hyatt is just 2 blocks from the pier, very central, right downtown and handy to Robson Street, the city's best shopping. There are lots of good restaurants downtown, so you won't have trouble finding a good place to eat. Of course, Stanley Park shouldn't be missed. Granville Island, right on the harbour and filled with many good shops, markets and restaurants is also very enjoyable. If you have a chance, do take the sea bus over to the North Shore and also take the gondola up Grouse Mountain where you will get spectacular views of the city. There are a lot of good tours too, which could be arranged at your hotel. I've read many posts of cruisers getting the Hyatt for $60-$70 a night on Priceline.

There are many things to see and do in Vancouver. Enjoy! Enjoy!

I got the Hyatt for $65 on priceline last Memorial Day Weekend before my cruise on the Inifinity to Alaska. I highly recommend this hotel. They let us check in early and there was no priceline snobbery etc. Plus it is a fantastic location within two blocks of robson street and a five minute cab ride to the pier. Check the website biddingfortravel.com for assistance with your bidding.

We were on the same Memorial Day cruise on the Infinity. I think I was the first one to report the $65 Hyatt deal on Priceline. We actually had two rooms for two nights at that price. With wheeled luggage, an easy walk to the pier at Canada Place.

Art

We stayed at the Sutton Place--right at the corner of Burrard and Robson--pretty much the exact center of everything you could possibly want...

We found the hotel to be excellent, the rooms ample and nicely decorated...

Burrard is the main artery of Downtown Vancouver while Robson is the trendy restaurant/shopping Street...Everything is walking distance...We walked from there to Granville Island first day we were there (but opted for a taxi back--it was fairly cheap, just a few dollars)...after that, we just stuck to the area around the hotel...there is a major mall about three short blocks away and every other store and every restaurant you could want right on Robson...

Get on the Grayline double-decker bus and ride around the whole city in about two hours. When you see something you like, get off and stay a while and then jump back on and continue. You'll get a very good look at Vancouver in one day.:)

Nice place remodeled within last couple years, on Robson. About 3-4 blocks from pier, Gastown, Yaletown. They have free shuttle to pier late am you reserve with concierge. Used it two recent years but used travel miles so not sure what $$.

Definitely do Priceline!!! We got the Hyatt Regency on Burrard for $75 (including taxes) this past Sept. Excellent location and excellent room. Just a short stroll to Canada Place. Ask for 4 star in downtown area. We put in the bid mid-June for early Sept sailing. Bid price was $60...turned down...then bid $62 and it was accepted. With taxes it came to $75.

We did the Hyatt summer of 2003 off of Priceline. RCI and Celebrity use this hotel as it has a great location. Robson street is just a short walk away and right next to the underground to take you whereever you need to go .

Thank you all for your responses! :) It looks like most of you suggested the Hyatt via Priceline. Only had one experience with Priceline a long time ago for a plane ticket and it didn't go so well. Guess I will try again.

mrr210 - Will try the biddingfortravel site. Do they help you understand what you are doing? :D

mloopscruisers Where do we find the Gondola? That sounds like fun!

Ma Bell Double decker sounds like a good idea also, Thank you!

So sounds like the downtown area is fairly close to the pier, is that right?

Rita

We will be spending two nights in Vancouver after our Summit southbound cruise this August. Have been bidding on priceline for about two months now but haven't gone over $80.00 yet for a 4 star. We are certainly willing to pay more but are holding out for a good deal. As it gets closer to August will we get a better deal or should we just start bidding higher now?

We will be spending two nights in Vancouver after our Summit southbound cruise this August. Have been bidding on priceline for about two months now but haven't gone over $80.00 yet for a 4 star. We are certainly willing to pay more but are holding out for a good deal. As it gets closer to August will we get a better deal or should we just start bidding higher now?

Hello: welcome to 'weak US$ land". When you bid $80 last year it was 'worth' about 114 Canadian $ to hotel. Bidding US$80 now is worth about 98 Canadian $ to hotel - so there slowness to respond to your US$80 bid. You need to bid US$92 NOW to have same 114 Canadian dollar value bid that was accepted last year when you bid $80. Blame the US trade deficit and government deficit. Good Luck.

The bidding for travel site will actually lay out a bidding strategy for you. I have to admit I did not rely on them for a strategy, but I did read the instructions on the site and so I guess you could say I came up with my own bidding strategy. If you go on the site and read the thread that says something like "read this before you go on", I think you will find it quite helpful. It is also a good resource for seeing what other people are getting on priceline so you can make an informed bid. Biddingfortravel basically takes the guesswork out of priceline. Happy Bidding!

Thank you all for your responses! :) It looks like most of you suggested the Hyatt via Priceline. Only had one experience with Priceline a long time ago for a plane ticket and it didn't go so well. Guess I will try again.

mrr210 - Will try the biddingfortravel site. Do they help you understand what you are doing? :D

mloopscruisers Where do we find the Gondola? That sounds like fun!

Ma Bell Double decker sounds like a good idea also, Thank you!

So sounds like the downtown area is fairly close to the pier, is that right?

Rita

Rita,

Hotel will be able to give you directions, information about the gondola ride to the top of Grouse Mountain. Grouse Mountain is not far from downtown - about 15 minutes by car (NOT in rush hour) to the base of the mountain. I'll see is I can get better info for you to post later.

Sue

Rita,

Hotel will be able to give you directions, information about the gondola ride to the top of Grouse Mountain. Grouse Mountain is not far from downtown - about 15 minutes by car (NOT in rush hour) to the base of the mountain. I'll see is I can get better info for you to post later.

Sue

Well, I should have just checked for this link before I posted, but I needed another coffee first.

Here is the link to Grouse Mountain. http://www.grousemountain.com/

You will see the views are spectacular, and the mountain really is only 15 minutes from downtown.

Sue

Archived