Crasiest or Dumbest things you have heard people complain about

spyder1

Wow! Isn't it amazing the things people will find to complain about? I sailed on the Liberty in June. I struck up a conversation with an older lady while waiting got my son. She told me she hated how the ship had such limited smoking areas and that she was miserable. She was irritated her daughter would take her on such a ship. Then she informed me that her daughter had also booked her in a non-smoking room the night before sailing. She said she just smoked in the bathroom because she wanted to. She informed me she had no idea whether the hotel would charge her daughter a cleaning fee.

Please don't think I am telling this story to slam smokers. I met her in the smoking area. Get it? I am telling this story because I couldn't believe she could be so insensitive with her daughters feelings. I have no doubt her daughter put a great deal of effort into including her mother in their vacation. I would have hated to be in the car or at the dining table with her all week. How selfish can a person be?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I was on the volendam going from Hong Kong to Singapore in 12/13. I witnessed a woman complain to our outstanding waiter that the logo on her dinnerplate was not pointing to the 12 oclock position. The waiter turned the plate to the correct position. She proceded to comlain about the shoddy service for the rest of the meal. She did however leave the waiter a $20 tip. Go figure.

On the same cruise i was going down in the lift and noticed that they hadnt changed the flor mat that reminds you what day it is. A woman got on and as a way of making small taklk I said to her look we are having monday for a second time. she didnt say a word she just pushed the button for guest relations and stormed off to tell them of the mistake. I was tlking to one of the crew about this and he said that sometimes they do this to see how long it takes for someone to complain.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Another time we were having lunch in the main dining room and sat with some folks from the states (can't remember which one). Things were going pretty good until the fellow raised such a stink because he had broccoli on plate! My God! There was broccoli on his plate touching his food and he 'hated' broccoli. He had the waiter take the plate away and bring him a new one without the horrid broccoli. He could have just moved the thing over, but then that wouldn't make for such a huge production.

Maybe he was allergic to broccoli. I absolutely love crab but I became allergic to it (probably from eating too much of it) a few years back and now my throat swells shut and I'm unable to breathe if I eat even one bite of it so if crab meat touched my dinner plate I would have to send it back rather than just scoot it over to one side.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

One night during show time, or whatever they call the singing/dancing/guest participation time in the MDR on Carnival ships, we got a conga line going. When my table (actually, come to think of it, I think the eight of us and a couple waiters were the only people that participated!) danced by this other table which had a man, his wife and their no longer sleeping baby, the man loudly exclaims, "NO NO NO NO NOOOO! I hope you're happy now! You woke up a sleeping baby!!" The thing is, this was late dining! It was already 9:00 PM or later. If he was concerned about his baby sleeping, as he should be, wouldn't it have been a good idea to sign up for the early dining option? Just a thought.

Actually he may not have had a choice. Early dining fills up first and I've actually heard families requesting early dining because they have small children and being turned down. I see where a lot of the complaints of others are humorous however if you look at the person's motivation and know all the facts a lot of times the complaints of folks make sense! So I try to give others the benefit of the doubt and hopefully they do the same. After all you don't really know what it's like in somebody else's shoes until you've walked in them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Edited by Jana60
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

My Mom and I were on the NCL Wind quite a few years back. With the anytime dining, we had some okay fellow diners and some really great tablemates. Then we had the unfortunate experience to meet with 2 sisters and their husbands. During the meal, the one sister complained about everything that was served to her. The last straw was during dessert. My mother and the complainer both ordered the same thing. The complainer went ballistic that my mother's piece of pie was larger than hers. Needless to say from that point forward, we avoided that group like the plague.

On our first cruise to Alaska, at the omelet station, I asked for mushrooms in my omelet. The poor guy was freaked out that he had run out of mushrooms and had to go get some. It took a few minutes, but it was all good. The poor guy apologized so many times. I finally told him, it was fine, that, "As long as I didn't have to buy it, prep it, cook it, and then clean it up I was a happy camper". That finally brought a smile to him. I feel so sorry for the staff when they are terrified to have even the slighted thing go wrong. :(

• Like 1

On our first cruise to Alaska, at the omelet station, I asked for mushrooms in my omelet. The poor guy was freaked out that he had run out of mushrooms and had to go get some. It took a few minutes, but it was all good. The poor guy apologized so many times. I finally told him, it was fine, that, "As long as I didn't have to buy it, prep it, cook it, and then clean it up I was a happy camper". That finally brought a smile to him. I feel so sorry for the staff when they are terrified to have even the slighted thing go wrong. :(

That's because they often get blamed for it by their managers, even when they did nothing to cause it. (Example: his manager accuses him of negligence with inventory and running out of mushrooms because of it.) I know first-hand, from working in IT. I lost count of how many times I got reprimanded for getting a blue screen while fixing someone's computer, even when that person was to blame by putting malware on it. So I can totally sympathize with the line cook at the omelet station.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

• 1 year later...

I'd like to think that those that _itch the most (I hope I'm not alone in this mentality) are inmature guests that have never worked in a service related capasity. These guest are usually the guests that have paid the least (not that that sould make one bit of differance). Most of these 'very important people' have likely watched way to much TV and beleive they are celeberties intitled to service they can't afford who think they are 'high rolleers' (high rollers can be just as irritating).

When the complaining involves bashing any [non deserving] staff memeber or even the cruise line I cry foul. The staff isn't alowed to defend themselfs and cruise lines don't like to fight with paying customers.

This is where I can act as a voice. If need be I don't hesitate jumping in with both feet offering a wonderfully [humorous/synical] public thrashing in situations where the staff isn't allowed to defend itself. You'd be hard pressed to intimadate me in such a defence.

If something doesn't meet a preceived standard have a conversation with the front desk. These folks bend over backwards to please - unless you start verbally abusing them.

If you do that - I hope I'm near by.

Well done! I agree that a lot of these blow hards only complain noisily because they don't think there will be a consequence, and they know the crew can't respond. It takes the wind out of their sails if other passengers let them know that they are out of line and not appreciated.

When the complaining involves bashing any [non deserving] staff memeber or even the cruise line I cry foul. The staff isn't alowed to defend themselfs and cruise lines don't like to fight with paying customers.

This is where I can act as a voice. If need be I don't hesitate jumping in with both feet offering a wonderfully [humorous/synical] public thrashing in situations where the staff isn't allowed to defend itself. You'd be hard pressed to intimadate me in such a defence.

If something doesn't meet a preceived standard have a conversation with the front desk. These folks bend over backwards to please - unless you start verbally abusing them.

If you do that - I hope I'm near by.

I enjoy Blackjack. One time, I was in the anchor position. Last player at the table. Someone has to take the blame I guess. A gentleman was playing at position 3 at the 6 chair game. Whenever he lost a hand, it was blamed on me.

While looking at nobody, he would complain in a loud voice about my play. Well, I play often and know the game. Being the gentleman that I am, I offered to exchange chairs with him. No response and continued to complain about my play.

So........ In my own way to resolve a problem, first chance that I had, I split 10's and drew until both hands broke. His face became red and the veins in his forehead began throbing. He grabbed his chips and stormed off. The other players at the table clapped politely and the dealer gave me a wink. Shortly after, the pit boss came over and gave me a new drink.

Every time after that, when he saw me, he went the other way. Made me chuckle. After that, every time that I played and ordered a drink, I was given two. To heck with the money. The drinks were worth it. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's because they often get blamed for it by their managers, even when they did nothing to cause it. (Example: his manager accuses him of negligence with inventory and running out of mushrooms because of it.) I know first-hand, from working in IT. I lost count of how many times I got reprimanded for getting a blue screen while fixing someone's computer, even when that person was to blame by putting malware on it. So I can totally sympathize with the line cook at the omelet station.

I can so relate...I work in IT also and its "always my fault' :(

Not a specific "crazy thing", but we cruised the first time last Dec. (if you don't count 39 years ago for our honeymmon). The same people I saw and heard complaining about everyone (guests and crew) and everything are the same people who told me they cruise 6 - 10 times or more a year! We came to the conclusion "some people just LOVE to complain".

On our second cruise, at the muster, I heard one person claim that they would never cruise XXXline again. What could have been that bad by 4pm on the first day?

Dori

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On our second cruise, at the muster, I heard one person claim that they would never cruise XXXline again. What could have been that bad by 4pm on the first day?

Dori

To throw a little perspective onto that, you don't know what happens pre boarding.

I made a statement like that years ago about the party boat line after an absolutely horrendous experience pre boarding, we eventually got on board at something like 10 pm (4pm sailing that eventually left around midnight) and were not fed and left standing in the rain for about 4 hours of that evening after being locked out of the port for 6 hours before that as it was too busy. There was a girl with her grandmother who was in her 80s in front of us and they wouldn't let her sit down on one of the chairs up at the entrance, so I just went back up and took it for her, she was really suffering and was sitting down on the kerb, and as I mentioned it was lashing and we were all soaked.

By the time we got on board at 10 pm ish, all that was available was cr*ppy pizza and by the time we sat down they closed it and hauled us out of the eating area for the muster before we could eat. It soured the whole cruise/ship which was cr*p anyway especially the smell on board, "Ecstasy" it was not...............

It wasn't my first time with them I had been on the Legend but now I wouldn't step on board that line if you paid me, although we do use some of the other lines owned by that corporation but they are way better imo, horses for courses of course.

Things do go wrong, this situation was weather related, but for me as a seasoned world traveler, it is how problems are handled that speaks volume and whether a company gets my hard earned cash again.

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

Didn't happen on a cruise as such, but....

Queueing in a looong line to go inside The Great Pyramid at Giza. But behind me was on his phone, griping loudly about all that he didn't like about Egypt. As we got through the entrance, deep into the pyramid, not unsurprisingly he lost the signal, and so found something else to grumble about!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not sure this 100% fits in with this topic but it did result in a sort of complaint.

We went on the Allure for new year for my 40th Birthday with extended family. My parents ordered me a birthday cake(& the had been a few problems with the ordering).

On the 1st night when they arrived back to their cabin the was birthday cake in the cabin with my Dad's name on it. It took him all week to convince his room steward it wasn't his birthday & I'm not sure she ever believed him.

However it was funny standing in Guest Services queue and saying "I want to complain about this cake"

"Why sir?"

"Its not my birthday":D

• Haha 2

Not sure this 100% fits in with this topic but it did result in a sort of complaint.

We went on the Allure for new year for my 40th Birthday with extended family. My parents ordered me a birthday cake(& the had been a few problems with the ordering).

On the 1st night when they arrived back to their cabin the was birthday cake in the cabin with my Dad's name on it. It took him all week to convince his room steward it wasn't his birthday & I'm not sure she ever believed him.

However it was funny standing in Guest Services queue and saying "I want to complain about this cake"

"Why sir?"

"Its not my birthday":D

By the way we did eventually get the correct cake on my birthday which was the last night of the cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

We were waiting and waiting and waiting to disembark in Costa Rica. The Costa Ricans put up the first gang plank....nearly vertical. Captain said, "uh uh, no way!" and the ship's crew put up a different one. Finally got almost to the nice little man who scans your card...just one person in front of us. This person was an elderly man whose card wouldn't scan and you would have thought it was the end of the world. He went on and on and on. "Are you people total idiots? Do you want my cat's id too? You're making all these people wait. Yada, yada, yada." So he finally totters through with his walker, going v-e-r-y slowly. As we followed him, v-e-r-y slowly down the plank I quietly asked my husband if I could give him a little shove. Just a little one? Please? Luckily my husband has much more compassion than I do, so I managed to avoid a jail sentence!

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

On the Carnival Conquest back in May:

My mom was standing in line to get cards for bingo, and a very dramatic woman behind her made it known that she disliked the 'horrible sewer smell' and she was surely going to pass out if she had to stand in that area any longer... The "sewer smell" was actually oil-based paint since they were doing some painting outside the ship (around the whale tail) which is nowhere near the main lounge where bingo is held. :confused:

Second to last morning at the breakfast buffet, we had the pleasure of sitting next to older man, his wife, and a second couple at the buffet. (We had chosen a table near the window, and they were right beside us, in a booth). The older man immediately started spouting off how the Conquest is the worst ship in the fleet and EVERYONE agreed with him that he talked to. (I kept thinking to myself how he sounds like everyone who leaves a 1 star review :p) Then he says, "well, the pizza was good.. but I was on the toilet AT LEAST 15 TIMES last night because of it!" Not to mention he had a very generous plate of breakfast items in front of him.

Hi Everyone

Ive been reading and many of the posts have made me laugh.....I have always said...YOU HAVE TO TRY VERY HARD TO HAVE A BAD TIME ON A CRUISE (VACATION) .....BUT SOME PEOPLE ARE ABLE TO DO IT!!!!!!

If they spent a little more time focusing on relaxing and what is good about the trip....

AS I have cruised for many years. I have become more bold about saying to complainers...We are trying to enjoy our cruise please don't spoil it for everyone...then start clapping.....usually others who are suffering in silence will join in which usually causes the complaining to stop....IF we the ENJOYERS did this more...we might be able to take back our vacations....

WE could start a thread about our success!!!

• Haha 2

Back in February my friend and I were on Vision of the Sea and someone got hurt and the ship had to divert and we missed Roatan, Honduras, what would have been our first port in favor of Cozumel, Mexico since they had a hospital more able to handle the situation (as the Captain said, without saying what had actually happened) while it sucked to have missed the secondary main reason we booked that cruise..... For the rest of the week we heard people complaining, some rudely... and it was really off-putting to me since I'm sure whoever got hurt... Probably wishes they hadn't and everyone complaining should have put themselves in that person///persons family shoes and just carried on with the fun.