Quick Review - Zuiderdam - Jan 22 - Feb 1, 2010

gofigure49

Embarkation was a breeze. We were coming from Naples, Florida so we drove to the port. We arrived around 11:00 a.m. and we dropped off our baggage (baggage handler asked for a tip) and parked our car in the Cruise Ship Parking Terminal ($15/day). Since we had prepared our documents on-line, getting to the waiting area was quick. You are given a number and asked to take a seat. While you are waiting to be called you can purchase a wine package ($149 for 5 bottles of so-so wines). There is a wine card available on-board. Works out to about $3.50 a glass but it's not advertised anywhere. Be sure and find out how to get one, it's a much better deal. Once your number is called you can enter the ship and go to the Lido Restaurant for lunch while you wait for the cabins to be ready. At around 1:30 p.m., an announcement will advise you to go to your cabins.

Our cabin was one of a very few SZ Superior Veranda Suite on the ship. We had 6117 which turned out to be a great cabin. It's on the "hump" of the Upper Verandah deck and as a result you end up with a few extra square feet and a zig-zag balcony. We immediately wiped down everything with Lysol wipes as insurance against Noro-Virus (our entire cruise was Noro free!). Although the room is a bit dated, it was spotless and our cabin stewards kept it that way. There is a shower stall, a double vanity and a full jacuzzi tub and shower. Loved the bathroom. Loved the Elemis bath products. There was more than enough closet and drawer space and terrific wooden hangers. Look under the beds for more storage options! The bar fridge was stocked. The cabin was on the Starboard side of the ship. Unfortunately, the boat passes almost everything on the Port side so if you spend a great deal of time in your cabin you may want to request an even numbered cabin.

We had "as you wish" dining for dinner. We ended up being happy with this choice. We did make a reservation for around 6:00 each night but this was totally unnecessary. Noone had to wait very long for a seat. The food was great, selection was fine and varied and service was okay. We met lots of interesting people this way and never had to spend more than 2 hours with people we might not be compatible with. We ate in the Pinnacle Grill one night. It was good but I think the food was just as good in the MDR. There's a better wine list in the Pinnacle and we opted for a bottle of Conundrum ($39.00). The leftover wine was brought to us in the MDR the next night. We had breakfast in our room every morning. Room service is terrific and fast and the food was hot. I had read that the coffee was awful but for us it was fine. We had lunch from either the Terrace Grill (super hamburgers) or the Lido Buffet. However, we always chose something that one of the staff served us as opposed to a serve yourself option. Just being cautious about spreading germs. Having said this, Holland America is diligent about doing everything they can to run a clean ship.

Entertainment was better than I expected. The Zuiderdam singers and dancers are great performers and the staged shows were good. The costumes were top-notch. We also enjoyed the Singer/Impersonator (Jeff Trachta and he used to be on the Bold & Beautiful), Island Magic (Steel Drum Band from Trinidad), Magician/Comedian Jeff Peterson and his magic dog Indy and the Comedian, Lee Bayliss. Some of the performers even did 3:00 p.m. sessions or morning interviews so if you missed the evening performance you could get a flavor of their performance at a more informal session. Note, show times are 8:00 and 10:00 p.m.

The only tour we took was the Eco Train/Bus/Boat/Banana Plantation tour in Costa Rica. Our guide Sara was terrific. Saw sloths, herons, iguanas, etc. Could have done without the Del Monte Banana Plantation part of the tour. We were already 5 hours into it and it was raining.

We stayed on board for the Panama Canal crossing. It's very early in the morning and still dark out when you go through the first time so I found it difficult to see everything. But coming back through around noon was great. There was a boat in front of us and another boat coming through the other way. There was a narrator on board who took us through the whole process. Extremely enjoyable. The Crow's Nest on the 10th floor has a great observation area but get there early for a good seat.

Half-Moon Cay was great. Since we drove to the ship we were able to bring our own beach umbrella. Cabanas and Clamshells sell out early so we were glad that we brought our own shade. The bar-b-que was great and the lines were short at 12:15.

Took out a couples spa package for the 10 days ($199 if you purchase on board). Really enjoyed the thermal pool (93.6 degrees) and the heated ceramic chairs. If you don't take the tour of the facility, make sure you ask someone to show you around. It took us two days to figure out that you need a locker to get a robe and slippers.

I'll quickly mention the demographics. We are a married couple and just turned 60. We were amongst the youngest on board. There were two medical emergencies (one requiring a Coast Guard Helicopter). The boat is very wheelchair friendly and many folks we met were on special diets. We had a great time but think on our next cruise we might pick a cruise line that is aimed at a slightly younger crowd.

Disembarkation was fine despite a terrific rain storm that made for a very wet departure.

All in all it was a great cruise. Be glad to answer any questions.

So happy to hear you had a good cruise! We were on the cruise before you and also had a good cruise. We did have a noro outbreak but it really did not affect anything. Service was wonderful throughout and the crew was a delight.

We had any time dining and, like you, never had problems being seated for dinner. The first night we met some great couples and we all asked to be seated together for several nights during the cruise which did not seem to be a problem at all.

I was happy to read your comments about the SZ cabin. I think it is probably one of the best deals on the ship!

Funny about the Zuiderdam though - I could never really get attached to the ship itself. Loved the people, loved the cruise but did not love the ship. I think the smaller ships must be for me!

Thank you for posting your review. Glad you enjoyed your cruise.

Just a FYI: everyone on the ship has 'As You Wish' dining: it includes tradational two sittings and open, flexible dinner; specialty restaurants; the Lido; Terrace Grill; room service; afternoon tea etc.

What you had is the flexible open option.

We had "as you wish" dining for dinner. We ended up being happy with this choice.
:confused: This isn't a choice. ALL passengers have "as you wish" dining. Some wish fixed seating, some wish open seating. Some wish to dine in the lido, room service, by the pool.....

I stand corrected. All passengers have "as you wish" dining. We booked the cruise last minute and did not have the option to request a fixed dining time. All passengers always have the option of booking a reservation on Deck 2 of the MDR or just showing up at Deck 2 of the MDR even if they have been assigned an early or late seating.

Thanks for posting your review and reassuring me that things are going to fine for us when we leave on March 3rd. Were you able to order "off the menu" (such as Eggs Benedict) for room service breakfast. One past cruises we wrote it on our ticket and it was there the next morning. Just wondered if you were able to request different items. I'm really looking forward to this cruise. All new ports for us. We've decided to do a tour in Costa Rica but the rest are open for us.

All passengers always have the option of booking a reservation on Deck 2 of the MDR or just showing up at Deck 2 of the MDR even if they have been assigned an early or late seating.

No, only those passengers who have open seating can dine on the lower level (depending on the ship, it isn't always Deck 2). Those passengers on fixed seating would have to give up their assignment for the duration of the cruise if they wanted to go to open seating.

Archived