Any Buckeye Cruisers Out There?

Ghost

Ghost -- agree with you about the snow & cold. In our younger days DH & I wondered why our older relatives headed for Fl so fast each winter. Now that we are the people we wondered about, we're wondering how we've put up with all this sleet, snite and snow for years.

DH solidified booking for our fourth -- and final -- cruise itinerary last night. He headed for Dayton for a questionable snow experience realizing that all totaled, he will be spending 32 days of year 2005 on cruise ships heading even further than Florida. :)

I'm sure he smiled all the way to Dayton and will still be smiling when he makes it back to Hilliard, however long that takes him. :eek:

Dianne

Guess I can appreciate the snow because I don't have to go out in it !! Having said that, I am looking forward to a week of Caribbean ports in 4 weeks.

I'm originally from Columbus, so probably wouldn't know your husband. My husband graduated from Montpelier in late 60's. My son (OSU student) is currently dating a very nice girl from Sylvania (also OSU student)

Wow !!! 20 cruises. I usually have to be very drugged on a cruise, so don't know if I could handle that many !!! I'm usually still rocking a full week after.

Have you ever been on the Golden?

NWBuckeye -

My husband has been away from Montpelier a long time but still has a brother and sister that live there. The older I get, the more I hate winters around here with all the snow and cold - I can't wait to get away from it!

We've never been on the Golden but have been on both the Grand and Caribbean Princess - loved them both!

Kathy

Wow, feel like I have a second family here! We should all keep in touch and when fall football season rolls around next Sept we can meet and tailgate before the game. We always have a great tailgate!:)

I went to the store this am for two reasons.....1)preparation for the Steelers game this weekend and 2) because they are predictiong 6-8" of snow between Fri night and Sat. and with a fifteen year old non stop eating teen, I have to be prepared. Thank goodness for the Horizen Court, it is truly his first stop. If you saw him you would think him malnourished. I only wish that I had half of his metabolism! He is a very avid tennis player though and so I am sure that he burns calories very fast ( wish I had that problem)

The Golden is a fabulous ship although our favorite cruise was on board the Grand western carribean. We talked about that last night and decided it was because we really enjoyed the cruise staff, they were so much fun and we were upgraded to a PH suite that cruise (absolutely heavenly). Our favorite ship has been the Sapphire, it is just a gorgeous ship and it was so much fun exploring new areas.

Thanks Ghost for starting this thread, this takes away the gloom and doom of winter! Have a great weekend all and be careful in the snow.

Linda

Linda -

We're expecting about that much snow up here too, so guess I'd better make a grocery run after work tonight.

I agree, we Buckeyes need to keep in touch and try to plan a gathering once this horrible winter passes. We hosted a get-together here in Toledo a couple of years ago and had 25+ people attend from all over. Also attended one in Columbus at Dave and Buster's then last year one in McComb, Ohio. It's such fun to meet fellow cruisers, some have even turned out to be practically our neighbors. From the same town or very close by. We've always had a great time and have made some wonderful friends.

Hope this thread keeps going - I know there are LOTS more Buckeyes out there - I've met a lot of them!

Kathy

I am definitely looking forward to OSU games next fall too. We go to all home and several away games. We also love other OSU sports, especially baseball. When games are closer (Michigan and Mich. St) we travel, which people think is sooo strange. Older son, who just graduated, covered some games in various sports, so enjoyed listening to him too. By the way, he's looking for a job. Anyone know of a job for a sports/communications major ?

The cardinals are so pretty with the background of snow. Yesterday, however, I saw a hawk go after a cardinal, certainly not my intention when putting food out. We (in the very NW corner) missed the ice Columbus had a few weeks ago. Our kids barely made it home for Christmas. I bet that was really pretty. (OK, not to everybody)

Linda...we are only in a minisuite on the Golden, but will certainly take an upgrade. Also on the Dolphin deck, which doesn't thrill me, but I think we had no choice. As long as I have a balcony, I'll be happy. This will be our 6th cruise, first on a Princess. Any advise for things I need to take or things to see/do in San Juan? We will be staying one night in San Juan prior, just to be sure to get out of the possibility of flight delays in Detroit.

Wish I had a little Buckeye smilie face for these posts.....:)

Melinda

Think we need a new Ohio theme song for cruisers. Getting tired of that ``Hang on Sloopy'' stuff.

Here's the beginning. . . you fill in the rest:

``Oh why, oh why o - hio,

Would I want to leave Ohio. . .''

For me it would be:

``Winters are bad

Summers aren't great

but it's the best home I've ever had.'' :)

and please don't give me a ``Go Bucks'' after that. I'm really tired of OSU's athletic fiascos at this point, although I still refuse to wear maze and blue on any day.

Dianne

Dianne, I love the song!! So true.

I like neither Ohio State nor UM...that's why I'm a Notre Dame fan. We have seen better days in our Football program, but we've got national women's soccer champs!! Ha!

Anyway, back to the point of this post....great song!

Kathy- we've had non stop snow, but we are supposed to get about another 7 or so inches tonight...of course it couldn't happen during the week so classes would get cancelled! It's only going to ruin our weekend plans! Ha!

Stay warm, everyone!

Dianne, I love the song!! So true.

I like neither Ohio State nor UM...that's why I'm a Notre Dame fan. We have seen better days in our Football program, but we've got national women's soccer champs!! Ha!

Anyway, back to the point of this post....great song!

Kathy- we've had non stop snow, but we are supposed to get about another 7 or so inches tonight...of course it couldn't happen during the week so classes would get cancelled! It's only going to ruin our weekend plans! Ha!

Stay warm, everyone!

Hi Learning to Fly,

Our son is a huge ND fan.(and not so much Ohio State to his mom's dismay;) )his goal is to get there someday, he loves their tennis camps in the summer. He has gone for three years now and his favorite dorm is Carroll Hall. We know that it gets very cold there, my husband's best friend went there and said that one time the ink froze in his pen while walking to class. ND is a great school and actually we all love it, and South Bend.

Dianne, your song is great and I agree with you......tired of all of the "dumb" decisions that some of the players make.

Bundle up fellow Buckeyes and for those of you that used to be Buckeyes, we will gladly send you some snow!

Linda

I'm another Buckeye who needs their head examined by booking a family trip to ALASKA in June! Like I don't see enough Glacier-like activity here when I put up my garage door and there is a 5 foot drift "calving" in!!! Get your shovels ready for the weekend!

BTW, raised in Upper Arlington and lived in Hilliard for quite some time as well-small world!:D

I'm another Buckeye who needs their head examined by booking a family trip to ALASKA in June! Like I don't see enough Glacier-like activity here when I put up my garage door and there is a 5 foot drift "calving" in!!! Get your shovels ready for the weekend!

BTW, raised in Upper Arlington and lived in Hilliard for quite some time as well-small world!:D

Hi GoBucks04

You will absolutely LOVE your cruise in Alaska. Our family has cruised there twice now and we loved it. It will be springlike probably in June and sometimes rainy but not unpleasant. The views are spectacular, much better than what I am looking at out of my window right now:) What ship are you cruising on?

Oh, I am just sure that you will love your cruise, try to do a whale watching excursion, it is amazing!

Linda

We are on the Diamond. I'm sure it will be fun-we are going for our parents 50th anniversary(11 of us) I did book the whale watching with Capt. Larry and combined helicopter glacier landing with Coastal. I'm sure it will be warmer weather than it is here now!!!Dianne: We are right down the street from Marysville-I love the country(have 9 acres) but miss the city-life. Marysville is moving up and getting a Super Walmart and Home Depot though-LOOKOUT!!!!;)

Heather: In-laws still live in Marysville so we're ``up'' there quite a bit. Know what you mean about changes - but then, I can get lost in Hilliard now after 32 years and I've been a newsreporter here for 19 years! :eek:

Milford Center is where Mom & I used to go to get our fresh fruit for canning and freezing - Ohio Orchard. DH & I actually met in 4-H club work in Union County back in the late 50s and were camp counselors together at Camp Clifton in 1964. We married in 1967. We were both 19 when we married at Ft. Dix, N.J. during the Vietnam war era.

Dianne

I....................O..................

I was just driving back from Easton Tonight (met some friends at the Cheesecake Factory-yummy) and it was Blizzard like down these country roads!! We didn't get as much as they thought, but it was pretty bad driving!

Dianne: What a small world-thank you for the story. What a great job you have!!

Archived