Pizza

2bfirsttime

If you know good NY pizza not close.

When they first had pizza it was reasonably good and than for the past few years went to the level of the old Doino's.

Lasat Oct on Triumph found it rather good.

Going on Freedom next week and hope it will remain good.

However not going to get to the level of good NY pizza though.

Ya' see... there's my point right there... It's NOT New York pizza... it's NOT Chicago pizza... it's TRADITIONAL pizza.

Like I mentioned previously, it's the kind of pizza one would find in Italy and there's not a thing wrong with that.

Consider how many menu items on board are NOT like at home. How often do you have Escargot at home... Chateaubriand, Strawberry Bisque or Supreme of Hudson Valley Duck?

Expand your horizons just a bit... That's one of the great things about cruising... it's not the every day... it's not what you can get at home...

Just my $.02...

:)

I can't think of any reason why the pizza would vary from ship to ship but I thought the slice I had on the Conquest one afternoon was terrific.

Hoping for the same on the Ecstasy I was real disappointed.

So I'm guessing that sometimes it boils down to how you are that particular day vs. another day and whether or not the stuff has been sitting out, etc..

Just a thought.

Thanks for all the replies, I think I will skip the pizza, but is sounds like something DH will enjoy as he likes pizza chain types and the wal mart box stuff. I myself prefer NY and Chicago stlye. But the salad sounds great, can you tell me what all comes on the ceaser? And can you make it more like a greek salad upon request?

Never asked them to make a greek, but I think you can create your own from the salad bar - as I recall, they have olives, feta, peppers etc. I am sure they would give you some anchovies as a side.

It is quite delicious. Surprisingly the do not skimp on the cheese! I order mine special and they make it for me while i wait and give me the while pizza. That way I get it how I want and it is fresh and drippy and cheezy and just plain goodness! I like the pork sausage!

Ps. I live in chicago and I HATE chicago pies! I love NY style, byt CCL's is not a folding type pizza...to gooey. you need to eat it with a fork. BTW, I do not like dominoes, pizza hut or papa johns and i LOVE carnivals piza....again, only freshly made while i wait though.

This may sound like a silly question, but what is the pizza like on the ships?

Like the stuff in the hot box at the gas station?

More like Pizza Hut?

Anything close to REAL NY style pizza?

Like a take and bake?

Just wondering what to expect so I wont be dissapointed.

It is quite delicious. Surprisingly the do not skimp on the cheese! I order mine special and they make it for me while i wait and give me the while pizza. That way I get it how I want and it is fresh and drippy and cheezy and just plain goodness! I like the pork sausage!

Me too, I always ask for extra sausage and tip the pizza guy...that way he will remember me when I come back.........:).....Dennis

The frozen variety that you buy at the grocery store....the appeal to this whole pizza thing is that it is 24/7

definitely not anywhere near NYC quality

Sorry, I have to disagree with you on that one. It may not be up to "NYC Standards", but it's definitly isn't the same as the frozen grocery store variety either.:rolleyes:

I hope that it is better than the worst pizza I've ever had, and here is the list.

Pizza in Dublin, Ireland

Pizza in New York, NY

Pizza in Florence, Italy

Pizza Hut Pizza

I hope that Host Mach is correct, because I'm looking forward to some pizza when we cruise in September.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

P.S. About 13 years ago, my assistant who was from New Jersey, had his mother bring his favorite New York pizza when she came for a visit. It was not good.

I hope that it is better than the worst pizza I've ever had, and here is the list.

Pizza in Dublin, Ireland

Pizza in New York, NY

Pizza in Florence, Italy

Pizza Hut Pizza

I hope that Host Mach is correct, because I'm looking forward to some pizza when we cruise in September.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

P.S. About 13 years ago, my assistant who was from New Jersey, had his mother bring his favorite New York pizza when she came for a visit. It was not good.

Bad A$$ Cafe? :confused:

I think the quality depends on the ship and your taste. I found the pizza on the Elation was excellent. On the Spirit it was OK. I did not try the DeChevre (sp) but my family did and loved it.

Jen in SoCal

This may sound like a silly question, but what is the pizza like on the ships?

Like the stuff in the hot box at the gas station?

More like Pizza Hut?

Anything close to REAL NY style pizza?

Like a take and bake?

Just wondering what to expect so I wont be dissapointed.

Bad A$$ Cafe? :confused:

I don't remember the place (it was 16 years ago), but the crust was like over-cooked pita bread, and it was topped with ham, kernel corn and mushrooms. Not a lot of sauce (OK with me) and virtually no cheese. It was terrible.

The others had toppings I like, but were just not good, and the reasons they weren't good were all different. Things like cracker crusts, rubber-like crusts, lousy cheese, boring or outrageous sauces. Pizza Hut, on the other hand was completely bad. I haven't been to a Pizza Hut in more than 30 years.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

P.S. I made pizza last night, and all of this talk of pizza made me have to have some. I'm reheating a slice as I'm sending this. It's wonderful, with just the right amount of sauce, pepperoni, ham and a lot of cheese. When reheating, I always add more cheese, because cheese only melts once, and I have to have fresh melted cheese.

IMHO they do not use enough saucee and the crust is too thick in the middle so it comes off the conveyor line undercooked to my taste.

However as I said before was very pleased with pizza on Triumph last fall, Plan on giving it another try on the Freedom and Glory in the near future.

I can't think of any reason why the pizza would vary from ship to ship but I thought the slice I had on the Conquest one afternoon was terrific.

Hoping for the same on the Ecstasy I was real disappointed.

So I'm guessing that sometimes it boils down to how you are that particular day vs. another day and whether or not the stuff has been sitting out, etc..

Just a thought.

Definitely different among ships. The first time I sailed on the Elation, I was so not impressed with the pizza. but then my first time on the Splendor, the pizza was great. Then on the Paradise, the pizza was the worst I'd ever tasted--the cheese was different and wierd--like a fake processed american cheese like texture--melts liquidy but doesn't brown. Then the second time on the Splendor, they had that crappy cheese too.

Then I went on the Elation in November. The pizza was good. I'm hoping the pizza is better this time around on the Splendor. I think they must use a couple of different vendors for cheese, and once in a while they get the yuck cheese, and once in a while they get the good kind.

I don't think it is good as pizza from "any" resturant, but it is better than most that you get at the grocery store. The only problem I see is it is light on toppings,

And it never looks like the display pizza they have,

If you just ask they will put extra toppings on your pizza and give you the whole pizza......... Dennis

Archived