Use Choice Air!!

mimicsr

I just booked our one-way Tampa,Fl. to Barcelona air for our 11/6 Transatlantic and saved a bundle!! I was considering consolidator tickets (Airfare.com or CheapOair) for around $550 per person, which I thought was a pretty good deal, as regular fares were around $1400.00/pp for one-way. Then I read the thread about "frustrated with air fares" and saw where someone suggested trying Celebrity's "Choice Air." When I tried it, we were able to get the very same flights for only $326.00 per person. I can't believe it!! Thank you so much!!

I just booked our one-way Tampa,Fl. to Barcelona air for our 11/6 Transatlantic and saved a bundle!! I was considering consolidator tickets (Airfare.com or CheapOair) for around $550 per person, which I thought was a pretty good deal, as regular fares were around $1400.00/pp for one-way. Then I read the thread about "frustrated with air fares" and saw where someone suggested trying Celebrity's "Choice Air." When I tried it, we were able to get the very same flights for only $326.00 per person. I can't believe it!! Thank you so much!!

You STILL got consoldator tickets. You should have been creative and booked Air Lingus or a RT and either used the second half for another trip to Europe or thrown the second half away. You have NO protections with your tickets. DIRECT from the X website:

"Airline tickets we issue are highly restrictive and you may find that your ticket cannot be exchanged, reissued or revalidated for another carrier or routing."

This wording is the VERY nature of consolidator tickets. Hope your trip goes well, BUT if it doesn't, PLEASE be prepared with lots of alternatives on your originating carrier.

You STILL got consoldator tickets. You should have been creative and booked Air Lingus or a RT and either used the second half for another trip to Europe or thrown the second half away. You have NO protections with your tickets. DIRECT from the X website:

"Airline tickets we issue are highly restrictive and you may find that your ticket cannot be exchanged, reissued or revalidated for another carrier or routing."

This wording is the VERY nature of consolidator tickets. Hope your trip goes well, BUT if it doesn't, PLEASE be prepared with lots of alternatives on your originating carrier.

You get the same Celebrity guarantee with Choice Air that they will get you to your ship if there are airline problems. Most ??? people fly in a day or two early anyway. If you have cruise insurance and you are really planning to go then I don't see the problem.

QUOTE FROM CELEBRITY SITE: When you book your airline tickets through ChoiceAir, you can rest assured that Celebrity will be there to support you before, during and after you travel. On the day of your travel, your flights will be monitored and, if there is a delay or schedule change, Celebrity will work with the airlines to "repair" the trip; to either get you to your port on an alternate flight, or if necessary, to the next available port. If your plans change our Celebrity Star Treatment is just a phone call away. Our ChoiceAir Support desk is available at 800-533-7803 to change or cancel ChoiceAir reservations and answer any questions you may have.

Are you saying he should have paid the $1400. instead of $326.?

You get the same Celebrity guarantee with Choice Air that they will get you to your ship if there are airline problems. Most ??? people fly in a day or two early anyway. If you have cruise insurance and you are really planning to go then I don't see the problem.

QUOTE FROM CELEBRITY SITE: When you book your airline tickets through ChoiceAir, you can rest assured that Celebrity will be there to support you before, during and after you travel. On the day of your travel, your flights will be monitored and, if there is a delay or schedule change, Celebrity will work with the airlines to "repair" the trip; to either get you to your port on an alternate flight, or if necessary, to the next available port. If your plans change our Celebrity Star Treatment is just a phone call away. Our ChoiceAir Support desk is available at 800-533-7803 to change or cancel ChoiceAir reservations and answer any questions you may have.

No, Celebrity has also covered themselves by saying some fares are very restricted aka "not endorsable" - meaning no other airline will accept them... so you are still bound by the fare codes on your ticket.

Here's an example.. the cheapee flight was on Delta. Client missed the connection in CVG though they'd be able to take the next flight out which happened not to be Delta. Wrong.....ticket was good on Delta only. Problem was.. there wasn't another Delta flight that day.

Also an OP posted about his insurance company not reimbursing him for his Air New Zealand air after his cruise had been cancelled. He has a credit with Air New Zealand, BUT it can only be used on Air New Zealand.. can't even be used on a code share partner. Another example of a highly discounted rate - being non -endorsable.

The best thing about buying flights through the cruise line is the cancellation provision. It's the same as your cruise. If you decide to cancel the cruise, before final payment is made, you own nothing for the airline tickets. If you book air flights on your own, you are often stuck with the tickets if you decide to cancel the cruise.

PLEASE read through your cruise contract, paying PARTICULAR attention to section 5. THAT is the contract you are legally bound by, NOT something on a website. All sounds really good on the website BUT what is legally required and what is hype are two entirely different things.

It is VERY specifically pointed out in the contract that Celebrity (or most cruise lines for that matter) book air as a CONVENIENCE. The cruise lines are in NO WAY, ShAPE or FORM responsible to get you to the cruise or even assist you. Their only obligation is to refund your air fare/hotel/excursion/transfer.

http://media.celebritycruises.com/celebrity/content/pdf/cruise_ticket_contract/Celebrity_04_23_08.pdf

I am not saying the OP should have paid $1400. I am saying that there were ALTERNATIVES at somewhat the same price that offered FULL protections with the airlines (change of routing, change of carrier). I can see prices on two carriers around the OP's date of less than $500.00pp. Sure it is more than the cruise air price, but a small price to pay to KNOW you can board another carrier with your ticket.

You CANNOT get on another carrier with your cruise line issued ticket UNLESS the airline allows you to do so. Not going to happen very often in this day and age, as the originating carrier has to pay the flying carrier IN CASH. No tit for tat exchanging seats. You are essentially STUCK with the originating carrier and whatever problems that carrier may have. You will WAIT for seats UNTIL they have them available. This info is contained in the cruise contract AND the airline contract of carriage. If you don't see the word ENDORSABLE or see wording to the effect of "non changeable, non reroutable", you have a consolidator ticket and all the ramifications.

The best thing about buying flights through the cruise line is the cancellation provision. It's the same as your cruise. If you decide to cancel the cruise, before final payment is made, you own nothing for the airline tickets. If you book air flights on your own, you are often stuck with the tickets if you decide to cancel the cruise.

Not so with Choice Air tickets. Book and PAY for them on the same day. Totally separate from the cruise. NO refunds, no cancellations without HUGE change fees. And in the fine print-at the discretion of the cruise line AND the airline.

This is quite interesting if true. We booked through our TA who used a consolidator. Our fare was almost exactly $300 less than what ChoiceAir quoted. The cancellation fees for our tickets are $300. Works out to be pretty much a wash if a cancellation happens and ChoiceAir provides a refund, but if not, we saved $300!

No, Celebrity has also covered themselves by saying some fares are very restricted aka "not endorsable" - meaning no other airline will accept them... so you are still bound by the fare codes on your ticket.

Here's an example.. the cheapee flight was on Delta. Client missed the connection in CVG though they'd be able to take the next flight out which happened not to be Delta. Wrong.....ticket was good on Delta only. Problem was.. there wasn't another Delta flight that day.

As an airline professional I have a feeling you are getting thing mixed up. "Non-endorsable" means that YOU cannot decide to fly with the Delta ticket on another airline. You cannot suddenly figure "Hey, I'll take my Delta ticket to American Airlines and fly with them today". If however your first stretch and your onward connection from CVG are in the same ticket and the first Delta flight comes in late at CVG, meaning your connection has gone, Delta has the OBLIGATION by IATA-law to rebook you on the next available reasonable alternative flight. And I can tell you: airlines want to get passengers on their way as soon as possible, since they are required to give you a hotel, food, expenses and a telephone call if they cannot get you out on the same day. That really mounts up for them, and so do claims afterwards. Delta is in an alliance with so many other airlines that it cost very little for them to just fill up that partner seat that would go empty anyway. The "non-endorsable" has absolutely nothing to do with that.

As an airline professional I have a feeling you are getting thing mixed up. "Non-endorsable" means that YOU cannot decide to fly with the Delta ticket on another airline. You cannot suddenly figure "Hey, I'll take my Delta ticket to American Airlines and fly with them today". If however your first stretch and your onward connection from CVG are in the same ticket and the first Delta flight comes in late at CVG, meaning your connection has gone, Delta has the OBLIGATION by IATA-law to rebook you on the next available reasonable alternative flight. And I can tell you: airlines want to get passengers on their way as soon as possible, since they are required to give you a hotel, food, expenses and a telephone call if they cannot get you out on the same day. That really mounts up for them, and so do claims afterwards. Delta is in an alliance with so many other airlines that it cost very little for them to just fill up that partner seat that would go empty anyway. The "non-endorsable" has absolutely nothing to do with that.

Really? Over the years I have missed many a connection because my first plane was late. I don't recall a single instance where I was put on another carrier to continue onward with my trip. Usually I have to sit waiting hours and hours for the next departing flight on the same carrier. I've even had to stay in a hotel overnight because the carrier had no more flights for the night and put me on one the next morning. And these were never instances where I had bought consolidated tickets.

greatam, are you saying that it would be better to book through a kayak, travelocity, orbitz rather than some of these discounted Cruise Air type sites? Or better to just take regular Celebrity air so they guarantee that you get to the boat?

This is quite interesting if true. We booked through our TA who used a consolidator. Our fare was almost exactly $300 less than what ChoiceAir quoted. The cancellation fees for our tickets are $300. Works out to be pretty much a wash if a cancellation happens and ChoiceAir provides a refund, but if not, we saved $300!

Are you talking Choice Air or Celebrity's regular air? Celebrity confuses people by offering regular celebrity air, custom air and Choice Air. Each one is different.

Choice Air guarantees that you get to the boat.

Of course, you don't just decide to fly with another airline. The second airline would have to agree to accept what we used to call "paper." and only in particular situations.

I've been spending more time as of late getting clients out of air jams with their consolidator tickets. When the tickets specifies "ABC" airline - only... it means just that!

Airlines do not have to provide hotel, etc. if it is "act of nature" - such as weather.

Of course, you don't just decide to fly with another airline. The second airline would have to agree to accept what we used to call "paper." and only in particular situations.

I've been spending more time as of late getting clients out of air jams with their consolidator tickets. When the tickets specifies "ABC" airline - only... it means just that!

Airlines do not have to provide hotel, etc. if it is "act of nature" - such as weather.

But that's whether it is a consolidator ticket or a regular ticket. No difference if it's weather related as far as I know.

Please note that I put the very important phrasing "in the same ticket" in italics in my original response. If you traveling A to C via B, all stretches have to be in one ticket for the airline to be responsible for missing connections.

If your TA has sold you 2 separate tickets A to B and B to C, no, you are not entitled to any help or support, that is then at the discretion of the airline.

I also used the important phrase "the next reasonable alternative flight" An airline does not have to rebook a passenger on first class at huge cost if the coach class for this next flight is full. Nor can it expect from a passenger to travel half way round the world because that is cheaper for the airline (Miami to New York via LA). So yes, it is possible that an airline does not book you on the next flight listed on the screens in the terminal.

Weather has nothing to do with any of this onward connection issue, other than being a possible reason for missing one. If your flight is cancelled or delayed because of extreme weather, you are not entitled to compensation for damages that are a result of that, since the airline only has a contract with you to get you from A to B (or A to C). And yes, in case of delay of a flight because of something they can't help (weather, act of God) they don't have to pay for your hotel, although in Europe they often do.

Perhaps European carriers are just very consumer friendly that they help passengers out with everything that is in their power. I worked for an airline that flew from Amsterdam to the Caribbean and Florida and we always had a problem getting people rebooked on certain airlines (some of them american ones). At least we tried and haggled with the other carrier to get people out on a reasonable alternative. Passengers should not have to worry about any of this. BUT: 2 separate tickets = DIY

And no, it does not have anything to do with where you bought the ticket. I have seen major TAs going wrong by issuing 2 separate tickets.

Are you talking Choice Air or Celebrity's regular air? Celebrity confuses people by offering regular celebrity air, custom air and Choice Air. Each one is different.

Choice Air guarantees that you get to the boat.

I was responding to someone's posting that I thought was about Choice Air. You are right about being confused about the different air reservation options :eek:

Really? Over the years I have missed many a connection because my first plane was late. I don't recall a single instance where I was put on another carrier to continue onward with my trip. Usually I have to sit waiting hours and hours for the next departing flight on the same carrier. I've even had to stay in a hotel overnight because the carrier had no more flights for the night and put me on one the next morning. And these were never instances where I had bought consolidated tickets.

greatam, are you saying that it would be better to book through a kayak, travelocity, orbitz rather than some of these discounted Cruise Air type sites? Or better to just take regular Celebrity air so they guarantee that you get to the boat?

I not only was moved to a different airline...from Delta to US Air...they put me in 1st class at no additional charge....I think part of it is how insistent you might become standing in front of an agent at the airport pleading your case....guess I pled well....:eek:

Please note that I put the very important phrasing "in the same ticket" in italics in my original response. If you traveling A to C via B, all stretches have to be in one ticket for the airline to be responsible for missing connections.

If your TA has sold you 2 separate tickets A to B and B to C, no, you are not entitled to any help or support, that is then at the discretion of the airline.

I also used the important phrase "the next reasonable alternative flight" An airline does not have to rebook a passenger on first class at huge cost if the coach class for this next flight is full. Nor can it expect from a passenger to travel half way round the world because that is cheaper for the airline (Miami to New York via LA). So yes, it is possible that an airline does not book you on the next flight listed on the screens in the terminal.

Weather has nothing to do with any of this onward connection issue, other than being a possible reason for missing one. If your flight is cancelled or delayed because of extreme weather, you are not entitled to compensation for damages that are a result of that, since the airline only has a contract with you to get you from A to B (or A to C). And yes, in case of delay of a flight because of something they can't help (weather, act of God) they don't have to pay for your hotel, although in Europe they often do.

Perhaps European carriers are just very consumer friendly that they help passengers out with everything that is in their power. I worked for an airline that flew from Amsterdam to the Caribbean and Florida and we always had a problem getting people rebooked on certain airlines (some of them american ones). At least we tried and haggled with the other carrier to get people out on a reasonable alternative. Passengers should not have to worry about any of this. BUT: 2 separate tickets = DIY

And no, it does not have anything to do with where you bought the ticket. I have seen major TAs going wrong by issuing 2 separate tickets.

DEPENDING on the fare class. About 95% of the consolidator class tickets have NON ENDORSABLE provisions in them-no re-routing, no changing carrier. And the way consolidator class tickets are sold to entities in the USA are VERY different than those sold in Europe by the "bucket shops".

Example: airline sells cruise line XXX tickets from point A to B at YYY price. At this point, the airline could care less how much the cruise line sells the ticket for. The tickets now belong to the cruise line. Since the ORIGINATING carrier is the ONLY airline in the chain who KNOWS what the price was, other carriers generally WILL NOT accept those tickets except as an act of goodwill (and fat chance of that in this economy). If the NON ENDORSABLE provisions are attached to the fare class, MOST carriers, even in the same alliance, (unless you are a top tier FF or a VIP) WILL NOT accept consolidator tickets. You are STUCK with the originating carrier, if and when they have seats available. Could be 2 hours or 2 days.

And European travelers have many more consumer protections than US travelers do when booking package trips.

I not only was moved to a different airline...from Delta to US Air...they put me in 1st class at no additional charge....I think part of it is how insistent you might become standing in front of an agent at the airport pleading your case....guess I pled well....:eek:

Again, DEPENDS on the fare class your original ticket was booked in. Tickets booked directly with the airline and MOST Travelocity/Orbitz/Expedia tickets have endorsable provisions. NOT CONSOLIDATOR class cruise air tickets or those purchased from Airfare.com, CheapoAir, Bestfares.com, etc. etc. etc.

Geez!! I didn't mean to open such a big can of worms, but I do appreciate all the replies. I just was surprised that the Choice Air flights we have were so much lower than the regular consolidator fares I was looking at. We are not flying until November, and we are flying in to Barcelona TWO days before our cruise, so I hope we will be okay. Plus it's Delta, and only one change at JFK with over 2 hours between flights. Also, it's early November, so hopefully we won't have record snow and ice!! Anyway, all the info is food for thought. Thanks again.

We are going to look into Choice air for our eventual SA cruise--esp since it involves two diff airports in SA & not round trip tix

You can EASILY book an open jaw ticket to South America. AND if you look at the FOREIGN carriers-TACA/LASCA, TAM, AeroMexico, Mexicanna, Copa and a few other, you can generally save quite a bit. All are generally better than the average USA airline flight-food, booze, etc.. Flights for this cruise season from the East Coast/Florida to/from South America AVERAGED $700pp or less. You have to be creative to get the best prices.

You MAY have to buy a cheapo from your home airport to JFK or MIA to get to a foreign airline "gateway". I fly to South America 4 times per year for business. I RARELY fly a USA airline (and I fly AA and partners over 100,000 miles per year). The service on LAN (if approximately the same price) beats AA/Delta/United, etc. by a LOOOOONG mile. The other airlines, while not quite as good as LAN, are still superior to the average USA airline. Sad, but true.

Choice Air DOES NOT provide a refund. You pay for it the day you book it. NO refunds. You MAY get airline credit.

So what is the take home message here?

Should we

1. Allow Celebrity through normal air to book tickets?

2. Use Choice Air, with the understanding that it might be a consolidated ticket and we're left stranded somewhere and Celebrity isn't really obligated to get us to the boat?

3. Do all the leg work on our own so we make sure we get the flights, the connections, and that it's not one of these non-endorsable tickets?

Obviously these all come at a different price point. I guess the answer lies in what risk you're willing to assume vs. the possibility of saving a little bit of money.

Have you read you cruise contract??? The cruise lines DO NOT guarantee they will get you to the ship. There are NO guarantees OTHER than the cruise line will refund your money for air, hotels, excursions or transfers. Air, hotels, excursions and transfers are booked as a CONVENIENCE for cruise passengers. It is in your cruise contract.

I am very emphatic about this. Most people mistakenly BELIEVE the cruise line will "get them to the ship". NOT TRUE. They will TRY, maybe. They don't HAVE TO. They can just refund your money and wash their hands. IT IS IN THE CONTRACT.

MAYBE is truly the name of the game. The cruise lines can ONLY deal with the airline who issued the tickets. And IF the airline has no seats available or are not willing to ENDORSE their tickets to another airline (they aren't generally), per their contract with the cruise line, you are STUCK.

Happened to my own step son when he "didn't listen to Mom" and booked cruise air. Missed two days of his cruise, got stuck with about $800 worth of expenses while he was STUCK in Los Angeles instead of Hawaii for two days. You think a 25yo and his almost wife wanted to sit in a hotel room or the airport waiting for the next flight out?? They were getting married in Hawaii and had it all arranged. Missed the wedding and missed the VERY expensive private helicopter trip we had booked as a honeymoon present. They got married at a JP in Iowa when they returned. NOT what anyone had planned!!!

I deal with the airlines day in and day out (international logistics company owner). I also personally fly well over 100,000 miles per year, quite a bit of it internationally. READ the fine print, READ the fare codes, READ the fare rules before you book ANY airfare.

I recommend EVERYONE use http://www.itasoftware.com/. Find the flights you prefer. READ the fare rules and FIND the fare code (in the details section). THEN go to the airline website and DUPLICATE what you found including fare code. You will most likely have to use "book by schedule" to duplicate what you found. You need to pick the EXACT flight with the EXACT fare code. Takes some work and research, BUT the rewards are worth it. And you will be a better informed consumer. Good luck!!!

So what is the take home message here?

Should we

1. Allow Celebrity through normal air to book tickets?

2. Use Choice Air, with the understanding that it might be a consolidated ticket and we're left stranded somewhere and Celebrity isn't really obligated to get us to the boat?

3. Do all the leg work on our own so we make sure we get the flights, the connections, and that it's not one of these non-endorsable tickets?

Obviously these all come at a different price point. I guess the answer lies in what risk you're willing to assume vs. the possibility of saving a little bit of money.

Booking cruise air, whether "normal" cruise air or Choice air, almost guarantees consolidator tickets.

"Airline tickets we issue are highly restrictive and you may find that your ticket cannot be exchanged, reissued or revalidated for another carrier or routing"

THAT phrase is the VERY nature of consolidator tickets.

MOST of the time you can come VERY close or beat the cruise line prices. It takes some work-see post #24 to find out how to do the work.

Archived