disembarkation at southampton

granny red

Could someone please advise about disembarkation at Southampton as I have to arrange travel home after our cruise. Our coach home leaves Southampton at 11am or 1 30pm. Would it be wiser to book the later one !

I assume that you are travelling with National Coaches in which case you will need a cab to take you to their location, it is less than 10 minutes. You should be OK on the early one but do let the Pursers desk know that you need to be off the ship by 10am. Cunard also have coaches that go all over the country and they pick up and drop at the ship which might be easier.

Hi thanks for your advice. Would like to get the 11am coach but just a little worried in case we dont make it in time or we are refused permission to leave the ship earlier. I will look into booking Cunard coaches also

Many thanks.

Hi thanks for your advice. Would like to get the 11am coach but just a little worried in case we dont make it in time or we are refused permission to leave the ship earlier. I will look into booking Cunard coaches also

Many thanks.

I would think you will be ok booking the 11am coach, but it might be an idea to have a back up plan. You will be mad if you go for the later coach and could have got the earlier one. I did that last year with the train. I was booked on the 11.15 to Manchester, and I was at the station in time for the 9.15. I had a "cheap" ticket so had to hang around for 2 hours and let 2 trains go as my ticket was only valid on the 11.15 train :mad:

I would think you will be ok booking the 11am coach, but it might be an idea to have a back up plan. You will be mad if you go for the later coach and could have got the earlier one. I did that last year with the train. I was booked on the 11.15 to Manchester, and I was at the station in time for the 9.15. I had a "cheap" ticket so had to hang around for 2 hours and let 2 trains go as my ticket was only valid on the 11.15 train :mad:

Hi,yes I can imagine that happening and I really would be kicking myself as waiting around for 2 hours or so would be so frustrating!

My only worry is that I dont have a back up plan as it would be unfair to ask a relative to drive all that way(I live near Chester) and if I booked a train I would be paying twice!

Just a little worried in case we dont disembark in time for the 11am coach.

Hi:

I'm sure this has been well addressed elsewhere, but I can't find it. Does anyone know a good reliable private car service for a transfer from Southampton to central London? I know I can arrange through Cunard, but there price seems a little high, and I always like arranging my own transport to/from pier.

Hi,yes I can imagine that happening and I really would be kicking myself as waiting around for 2 hours or so would be so frustrating!

My only worry is that I dont have a back up plan as it would be unfair to ask a relative to drive all that way(I live near Chester) and if I booked a train I would be paying twice!

Just a little worried in case we dont disembark in time for the 11am coach.

The Cunard Coach gets around that problem as they would have to wait. It's a good service, and I have used it a few times, but it is quite expensive. It's a risk going for the 11am coach but I would say quite a small one. Have you checked the trains, there is one each hour to Manchester which calls at Crewe? Last time I used the train it only cost me £20.00 each way.

The first time we cruised from Soton we used National Express, and although we made all our times, it is a hassle getting off the ship and through baggage handling and to the taxi rank, you have to handle your luggage yourself from the ship and at every coach transfer, not again, I said!!

We have used Coachconnect ever since, it is more expensive, £69 each (not much when put against the total cost of the cruise, and you don't need a taxi to the coach in Soton) from just north of B'ham, but no hassle, the luggage disappears to reappear in your cabin and if the ship is delayed, the coach will wait.

The only problem is collecting your luggage yourself from the baggage hall on docking and wheeling it to the coach, but porters are on hand if required.

Hi:

I'm sure this has been well addressed elsewhere, but I can't find it. Does anyone know a good reliable private car service for a transfer from Southampton to central London? I know I can arrange through Cunard, but there price seems a little high, and I always like arranging my own transport to/from pier.

A very reliable car service is www.smithsforairports.com or +44 23 9283 1111 . Lots of people including me have used them and no complaints.

We used smiths for airports to get us to Heathrow. Our plane was departing at noon so we got off QM2 at 8am. The process was incredible smooth! We signed up for early disembarkment the day before and there were no lines, no waiting, we just walked off the ship with our luggage! Our driver was waiting for us and we had a great ride to the airport!

One of the best kept secrets of the UK transport system is the Megatrain. this is the system where you can early book a seat on certain off peak trains to London for as little as £1.

As you might expect there are restrictions, but the price is compelling as the off peak timings tend to match the times of disembarkation.

For more details visit the South-west Megatrain website. I seem to recall that you can only book up to three months in advance.

Hope that this helps.

Hi:

Mike. We will be taking the train from Southampton Central (five mins from the piers) to London Waterloo. The time is about 1:20 and there are at least two trains per hour. GBP 60 for first GBP32.70 for standard. A quick taxi from Waterloo can get you anywhere in central London in about 10 minutes for about GBP 10.

Its a lot faster than a private car and not a tough trip.

There is a lift at Southampton Central to get you and baggage from the station to Platform 1 where the London Train Calls. I usually have a bit if a train of luggage, with two roll aboards and my briefcase, which is manageable. The First Class carriage is at the front of the train, so you go to the east end of the platform, and wait. Not a problem storing bags or finding a seat.

Upon arrival at Waterloo, your off the train, out the door to a taxi. If you don't have Pounds you can charge the trip and the taxi if you need to. There are also ATMs at Waterloo.

Its worked like a charm for me for a number of trips, most recently last October.

Good Luck Mike.

There is a lift at Southampton Central to get you and baggage from the station to Platform 1 where the London Train Calls.

Upon arrival at Waterloo, your off the train, out the door to a taxi. If you don't have Pounds you can charge the trip and the taxi if you need to. There are also ATMs at Waterloo.

Mike, when you take the cab in Southampton ask to be dropped at the back entrance, this is Platform 1 and saves the hassle. Also at Waterloo there are ATMs opposite Platforms 1- 3 but very few cabs take credit cards.

What time is an early disembarkment and is it available to anyone who requests it?

Hi granny red,

I believe you can leave as early as 7:30... we disembarked around 8am. Yes, you bring your own luggage, but ours have wheeles (as most do) so it was no issue at all! Nor was it far... DH and I were absolutely amazing at how smooth the process was! We would definately consider doing early disembarkment again... there was no fuss in waiting or lines or confusion.

Hi granny red,

I believe you can leave as early as 7:30... we disembarked around 8am. Yes, you bring your own luggage, but ours have wheeles (as most do) so it was no issue at all! Nor was it far... DH and I were absolutely amazing at how smooth the process was! We would definately consider doing early disembarkment again... there was no fuss in waiting or lines or confusion.

Hi thank you for your reply. Very helpful !

Hi:

If you are working with a TA you might ask your TA. We had our TA arrange a prepaid car service for us in Rome. It was not cheap, but it was paid for in US$ in advance before we left. We would do the same again.

• 2 weeks later...
We used smiths for airports to get us to Heathrow. Our plane was departing at noon so we got off QM2 at 8am. The process was incredible smooth! We signed up for early disembarkment the day before and there were no lines, no waiting, we just walked off the ship with our luggage! Our driver was waiting for us and we had a great ride to the airport!

Can you let us know what you paid smiths for Southampton to Heathrow?

Archived