Princess allows non-cruisers onboard for embarkation day

Infi

Hi all,

As one who has been lucky enough to be invited to visit a ship while in port, this is not a big issue, like others have said having passports taken, temp cruise cards with your photo issued etc is no problem, often around 100 people visit a ship while in port.

As for safety you will be the one taking the bullet proof limo,

where would you rather be on a cruise ship with fire doors, sprinklers a trained crew, on a tin can at 30,000 feet , or a sub way car, a bus etc

please do not use "these times" as an excuse

I see no reason why Princess should not try this idea.

yours Shogun

...It doesn't make any difference to the people boarding for a cruise and in any case I should think only a handful of people are able to visit.

Yes, I believe this announcement on the Princess website states "approximately 50 guests" would be permitted to visit. (http://www.princess.com/news/article.jsp?newsArticleId=na1074)

Among others, those who live near the port cities.

The Bon Voyage Parties of yesteryear were great fun, streamers and all.

True, I think it will eventually head in the direction that Princess will send "invites," to locals who know no one on the ship, just to show the ships off and get people hooked. It is genius from a marketing standpoint. I think eventually they will be leading tours of people, companies, possible bridal parties etc. Whoever came up with this, is sure to receive a large bonus at the end of the year.

I don't see a problem with the program. Despite what most people think about no visitors, every cruise line does TA tours, weddings, and parties. On an RCI cruise a couple of months ago there was an anniversary party during our port call in Bermuda which included some passengers but mostly guests from Bermuda.

My first introduction to cruise ships/ocean liners was as a non-passenger visiting any passenger ship that was embarking passengers in NYC for the princely cost of 50 cents. The money went to the seaman's welfare fund or some such. We were informed to leave the ship by the "all ashore that's going ashore" announcement before sailing. When I left the ship I definitely knew I wanted to go on a cruise. I think that ended when airline hijackings came on the scene. Seabourn allowed visits all the way up to 9/11.

I like the idea too. I remember on our first cruise back in the 70s, we toured various ships to see which one we wanted to sail on. It was a great experience and helped us decide we wanted to go. There are so many people out there that have no clue what's inside that huge white thing parked at the dock that it will open up the cruising world to many more people. Like Toto, I remember being in Alaska and boarding the other ship for a tour. I also remember being able to get on to visit with a friend just using my drivers license about 15 years ago in San Pedro. The impact to the passengers will be minimal. Travel agents tour ships all the time and it hasn't been a big deal to anyone before.

Just saw this online.

From the article:

Princess Cruises is reviving a signature tradition from the early days of cruising, the opportunity for passengers to have non-sailing friends and family come aboard on embarkation day to wish them a "bon voyage."

The "Bon Voyage Experience," as Princess is calling it, will cost $39 per person.

Princess says visitors who sign up for the new program will get a four-course dining room lunch with wine on the ship, a tour of the vessel and a souvenir photo. They and the passengers they are accompanying will have access to priority embarkation, and they'll be allowed onboard for about four hours. The $39 fee for the experience can be applied to a future Princess cruise.

The program will debut in March in the ports of Los Angeles and Fort Lauderdale, and then roll out to New York, San Francisco and Seattle.

Link: http://www.usatoday.com/travel/cruises/item.aspx?type=blog&ak=78458.blog

My reaction - what a unique (and smart) idea! I remember when non-cruisers were allowed to visit ships (for free) on embarkation day many years ago, and it was a nice way to spend an afternoon. I'm sure it was great advertising for the cruise line, too. What do you all think?

Guests pay USDD$39 pp and get to eat in the DR and we pax eat in HC or the burger joint (lol) without wine OR are we allowed to sip out of the glass of our paid guests? :eek:.

Think it's great to revive the tradition. Would like to know how they got around the security requirements. Wait for the call "All guests ashore, the vessel will be sailing in 45 minutes" Let's wait for the first attempt and see how many wanna be cruisers stow away onboard :D

Ciao for now!!!

I think Princess has a great marketing idea offering this.

As for security, Just think, these guests will not be carrying on luggage or the amount of items that regular passengers would be, but I am sure they will need to go through the same security procedures as regular passengers. So, I see no more security risk with this as with anyone else.

Way back when, we were allowed to board any princess ship in port with us for a tour, all it took was us showing our cruise card from our ship. We did this in a few foreign ports to check out the other ships that happened to be there. You could have lunch and walk around exploring with no problem at all. I know times have changed since then. But as long as the visitors go through the security process, I don't feel at all threatened by this.

TOTO:

You are entirely correct, as usual.

Let the party begin.

Laisser le bon rouleau de temps.

Recommendation for scardy-cats: Stay home, on your sofa, and watch CNN.

:D:D;):D:D

Guests pay USDD$39 pp and get to eat in the DR and we pax eat in HC or the burger joint (lol) without wine OR are we allowed to sip out of the glass of our paid guests?

Think it's great to revive the tradition. Would like to know how they got around the security requirements. Wait for the call "All guests ashore, the vessel will be sailing in 45 minutes" Let's wait for the first attempt and see how many wanna be cruisers stow away onboard.

All Ashore will be called 1 hour prior to sail.

All Diners at the table will be served wine. After all, it IS the cheap stuff. The food is actually worth more than the wine; however, there ARE those who will be leaving plastered and weaving through disembarkation.

There is no "get around the security requirements."

The same background checks are done for these "Guests" as for those paying for a cabin. That is why the Cruise Personalizer must be filled out. If you do not have this 6 days prior, one may call 800-Princes with their booking number and the agent can add it to the booking.

Fail to provide the background data for Guests, so sorry. Wave Goodbye from the dock.

;);):eek:;);)

All Ashore will be called 1 hour prior to sail.

There is no "get around the security requirements."

The same background checks are done for these "Guests" as for those paying for a cabin. That is why the Cruise Personalizer must be filled out. If you do not have this 6 days prior, one may call 800-Princes with their booking number and the agent can add it to the booking.

Fail to provide the background data for Guests, so sorry. Wave Goodbye from the dock.

;);):eek:;);)

And due to the fact that they are not sailing reduces the number of Gov't agencies involved. ;)

A ceiling of 50 viewers would be OK, especially if screening was carried out as described. A luncheon would give viewers a sample of what to expect. Perhaps the FCC consultant could present a mini lecture as well for those who have nver sailed or never sailed 'Princess style'.

This starts March 6 and it's limited to 50 people? Watch for "my vacation was ruined because my friends weren't allowed to come aboard when we were the 51st applicants, and I think I'm due some compensation" whines by the Ides of March. ;)

Caro

What a wonderful idea! I have friends and family that have never been on a cruise ship and are not sure if they would like it. This would be a great way for them to look around and have a nice lunch also. Applying the $39 to a future cruise might just be the incentive they need.

I think this may be a winner for Princess.

I love this idea. The first time I was ever on a cruise ship was when I visited family sailing from Los Angeles to Vancouver on the Cunard Line's Vistafjord. It stopped in Santa Barbara and I was allowed on for dinner and the entertainment after dinner. There was no charge for guests to join you for dinner at any port of call in those days (mid-80's). I had a great time and knew I wanted to cruise some day.

This is a wonderful marketing strategy by Princess. I have no worry about security. I am sure they will check everyone out.

I wonder if guests will be allowed on only at the port of embarkation or will they be allowed on at any port?

I've never sailed from NYC or FLL, but I have sailed from LAX and live in SEA. The infrastructure here is bad enough as it is, without adding extra people trying to get on, and then off again, on embarkation day. When there are groups of travel agents coming on for a ship inspection during the "lull" between disembarkation and embarkation, they can tie up the gangways and elevators/rampways for literally hours. This has the potential to be worse than that. I don't like it, and I wish they would rethink it.

Princess already does this with their weddings on board. There are always a lot of guests that attend the wedding and the reception and then leave the ship. They have to be registered at least 6 days before and their id's/passports are kept by security personnel at the entrance to the terminal and returned when they get off the ship. Has been going on for years and there have been little or no problems.

I thought I would read most of the way through to see if any more shore staff had thoughts-Thanks Ed.;)

Archived