Princess allows non-cruisers onboard for embarkation day

Infi

We received this email regarding our Mexico cruise in April. I think its a good idea for people who have never been on board a cruise ship to see if it is something they would like to do. If someone wanted to do something to the ship, they could just book a cruise and do it.

You hit the nail on the head. The terrorists who took over the flights on 9/11 were paying customers not guests.:rolleyes: One of my associates at work has been asking me about cruising. He just asked me a few weeks ago if he would be able to tour a cruise ship just so he could get a feel of the size of the ship and the rooms. I am sure if he could see first hand he would book a cruise. I am sailing from San Juan so bringing him on as a guest is not an option.

• 4 weeks later...

I think this is an excellent marketing tool on Princess' part. If any Tom, Dick or Harry could call up Princess and get aboard for $39, then maybe I'd agree security could be an issue. But if you have to know someone who's already a passenger on the sailing, then I don't understand the security concerns. I'm sure there are far more serious security breeches every day at airports across the country!

My only 'beef' with the Cruise Critic article's 'spin' is the way they tout this as being so very unique and resurrecting a tradition that is "from the past". Crystal has, for many years, allowed guests of passengers aboard their ships at not only the point of embarkation, but any port along the itinerary. Like Princess, Crystal requires advance notification (you fax them a form--they fax back approval or denial) with proper ID, etc. You are told where to go in the terminal, check in with terminal security, who looks up your name on the visitor's list, etc.

Allowing guests of passengers aboard is a terrific way to "sell" people on cruising. Isn't the percentage of Americans who've never cruised something like under 5% of the population?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I know this is an older thread but if anyone has any more information on this they could offer. Has anyone done this yet?

We are loyal Celebrity cruisers and have received Elite on that line. We have sailed once each on RCCL, Disney and Regent. We have talked about wanting to try Princess.

I had read about this on the boards a few months ago and wished Celebrity would do this so my parents could join us for a wonderful meal as my mother would NEVER actually sail, but would love the beauty of the ships and the pampering.

Well, our local paper today had an ad from a travel agent that would set up the bookings for you for the Bon Voyage package out of NY and we are in NJ. We figure this will be a great way to get a taste of Princess and see if we like what we see and would think about sailing it.

Thank you so much for any information anyone can offer.

I just booked it for my son and his girlfriend for our embarkation on May 27th out of Brooklyn, NY.

The cost was $39 per person and they will be getting a photo upon embarkation, a 4 course lunch in the MDR including wine, and a tour of the ship. They asked for their names and addresses and created a booking. I need to print up boarding passes for them. They also get a $39.00 FCC each.

We will be able to board at 10:00 am.

We had some friends join us on the Coral Princess while in Ft Lauderdale in March. Ours was a slightly different situation as we were doing a b2b Panama Canal from LA and were already onboard the ship...in any case it worked out great.

We called and made the reservation a few weeks prior to sailing..our friends got an email from Princess with the booking number and then they went online to do the Personalizer and print out boarding passes. There were several others doing the Bon Voyage Experience and they were the first people to board, around 11:00 if I remember correctly. We actually got off the ship to meet them in the boarding area and we are glad we did because that is where they took a photo of the 4 of us. After coming onboard, the Future Cruise Consultant took us all on a tour of the ship. At noon we went to a very nice lunch in one of the dining rooms, which included wine. The photos were available for pickup in the photo area and we each received our own copy.

We felt the whole experience was very well done and would not hesitate to do it again.

Does anyone know if it would be okay for our Bon Voyage guests to utilize the swimming pool with us after lunch? If they can be on board until 3:30pm, it sounds like we'll have at least two hours of time on our own with them. In NY in the summer, a dip in the pool could be great...

Thanks,

Michelle

I understand the $39 guests will get a $39 FCC good for 90 days as part of this program.

My question for those of you who have done this (or entertained guests):

Were the $39 guests also offered the opportunity to actually BOOK a future cruise and thereby obtain regular Future Cruise Credits (the $100 deposit + OBC based on category/no. of days) like you get if your do a FCC during your cruise?

I've used up my regular FCCs & want to book a cruise. I'm wondering if this will be a way I can get a couple more regular FCCs.

I understand the $39 guests will get a $39 FCC good for 90 days as part of this program.

My question for those of you who have done this (or entertained guests):

Were the $39 guests also offered the opportunity to actually BOOK a future cruise and thereby obtain regular Future Cruise Credits (the $100 deposit + OBC based on category/no. of days) like you get if your do a FCC during your cruise?

I've used up my regular FCCs & want to book a cruise. I'm wondering if this will be a way I can get a couple more regular FCCs.

I asked two diff CS at princess and one said "NO" the other one said it is up to the FCC agent onboard. So who really knows.:confused:

I asked two diff CS at princess and one said "NO" the other one said it is up to the FCC agent onboard. So who really knows.:confused:

Yes, that's the same I got by calling Princess. That's why I was hoping someone on CC knew first hand.

But the Princess rep who said it's up to the FCC consultant was probably right.

The good thing is that being able to get a regular FCC was only one reason to go!!! We'll probably do it just for the fun and opportunity to spend a couple nights in Seattle!

Allowing guests of passengers aboard is a terrific way to "sell" people on cruising. Isn't the percentage of Americans who've never cruised something like under 5% of the population?

Are you stating over 95% of American HAVE sailed :confused:

Are you stating over 95% of American HAVE sailed :confused:

I believe the Beav did not intend to include the "n" before the work "ever".

I don't like it at all! With today's terrorist threats I don't need anyone having even a slight chance of someone planting anything in a hidden corner. I'm sure some will argue that even a passenger could do that, but why ask for more chances of trouble? We've had family who lives near ports join us for pre-sail parties in the mid '70's, but that was a much different time.

I totally agree with you

Archived