Princess allows non-cruisers onboard for embarkation day

Infi

I don't like it at all! With today's terrorist threats I don't need anyone having even a slight chance of someone planting anything in a hidden corner. I'm sure some will argue that even a passenger could do that, but why ask for more chances of trouble? We've had family who lives near ports join us for pre-sail parties in the mid '70's, but that was a much different time.

Totally agree. It's a mistake from a security perspective.

We have a friend that is scared to get on a large ship, and we just know that if she is able to tour one for a few hours, she will be hooked!

I hadn't thought about that, but we're in a similar position. One of our dearest friends talks about going with us because of how much fun we talk about having, but he's incredibly anxious about the idea of being on a ship. I'll bet if he could do a tour like this, it could get him over his anxiety.

As others have mentioned, these folks will be screened before boarding and will have to walk through a metal-detector too. I think the security risk is basically zero...

This is a good move for Princess, IMHO.

I don't like it at all! With today's terrorist threats I don't need anyone having even a slight chance of someone planting anything in a hidden corner. I'm sure some will argue that even a passenger could do that, but why ask for more chances of trouble? We've had family who lives near ports join us for pre-sail parties in the mid '70's, but that was a much different time.

How do some of you people ever muster the courage to even leave your houses? And, let's see, I think the Israeli athletes in Munich in 1972 might disagree with you about the halcyon days of the 1970s.

Personally I find it harder to board as a visitor than as a passenger. The security look at your ID a lot closer than I have ever had the port staff look at my passport. You have a photo taken as you board the same as passengers and don't forget the cameras all over the ship. So it's not like they won't know what you look like and what you are doing. Also the crew on IPM will be aware of what is going on.

Just what we need. More people, many who will be rude and disrespectful as a lot of passengers are. There's enough commotion before sailing without the extra cast.

From my experience as a visitor you don't always go onto the ship the same way as the passengers. Usually you board the same way as the crew.

Personally I find it harder to board as a visitor than as a passenger. The security look at your ID a lot closer than I have ever had the port staff look at my passport. You have a photo taken as you board the same as passengers and don't forget the cameras all over the ship. So it's not like they won't know what you look like and what you are doing. Also the crew on IPM will be aware of what is going on.

From my experience as a visitor you don't always go onto the ship the same way as the passengers. Usually you board the same way as the crew.

This has been my experience too when visiting a ship. They are very thorough and we always boarded at the crew entrance.

Just what we need. More people, many who will be rude and disrespectful as a lot of passengers are. There's enough commotion before sailing without the extra cast.

Wow... it's only 50 more people. I'd say that's extremely manageable. Also, you're painting with kind of a wide brush there... :rolleyes: These folks will be associated with passengers. If they get out of hand, I'm sure there will be ramifications for the passengers...

Maybe a good idea in some ways. However security is an issue these days and traffic at the port could be a problem. It would be a good way for someone who had never been on a large ship to see what it is like.

It's hard enough NOW to get into the dining room for lunch on embarkation.

When this thing goes through, that'll be one more reason to say no at the door.

For years people on these threads have been bellyaching about not being able to get into the DR on embarkation day. Believe it or not, the DR I have yet to see 1/2 full on any embarkation day as most are topside in the HC.

So now that you'll have 100 people plus 50 guests maybe...that's only, well not even 1/4 of any DR capacity. So now at least you'll know the DR is open if there's already folks in there. Problem solved!!!

Ciao for now!!!

It was March 1990. Took my parents to the port in Long Beach to see them off on a Panama Canal cruise. Could not understand why anyone would go on a cruise. But they wanted us to come on board to "see the ship" so we did. We boarded after everyone was on.

The rest was history. Even after our brief taste we were hooked.

Think it isn't a security risk any more than any other passenger.

Only problem I could see would be stowaways...lol

This is so funny! They make it like security is a big issue for them but are willing to forget about it for $39 per person!

This is like when you used to request a tour of the bridge, you were told they no longer do that for 'security concerns'.:rolleyes: Now, of course if you are wiling to pay for the 'Insider' Tour", it's okay to visit the bridge.;)

That said, I still like this program. If they don't get enough takers from friends/family of passengers, I hope they extend the program to anyone willing to pay the fee to get a ship tour and lunch. And the bonus of getting the fee applied to a new booking is icing on the cake!:cool:

Awesome idea - good for Princess! Too bad it'll never happen in Vancouver because of US immigration, I'd love to tour the different lines that come into port.

So if one is a visitor to the USA one can be invited on the ship in a USA port although one is not a USA citizen.?

The ships are not registered in USA but I think Bermuda.

Hum I thought everyone getting on the the ship must go through passport control?

All passport details have to be given to authorities a few days before boarding also.

I remember our first cruise back in 1971. DH and my DB after we boarded in Manhattan went off the ship to find beer and came back on board for a "bon voyage" party. When it was time to sail, DB and his wife had to leave as they had just "delivered" us to the ship. They weren't sailing, but, they were permitted to board.

Those were the good old days when we didn't have to worry about terrorists. How times change!

I think this is a great idea. What better way to entice new converts to the shipboard life? I hope Carnival Corp extends this to other lines. 50 people, screened by security, will not make a dent in the boarding process. Kudos to Princess for bringing back a wonderful tradition, with added amenities. As one of my favorite CC posters would say:

Cool beans!

. . .if it makes any difference to embarkation etc. as we are on the Mar 10 sailing of the Island.

My concern is that Princess seems to think she will be sailing from Los Angeles and my itinerary has her in Fort Lauderdale :eek: :eek:

Can't trust the Princess press release!

In Australia they are are lining up and paying $99.00 each

to go on board for a visit and lunch when a ship is in port.

David you beat me to it.... only just managed to get on line LOL...

yes that would be me... did I read someone said $39 is excessive... well here in australia my husband and I are going to have lunch on the diamond princess next week while she is in port ... it is organised through a TA... yes they are charging us $99 each (that would be $87 US ):eek:

I told my DH that that is his valentines present:D:D

I figure between the cruises we did last year and world cruise next year this was the only way we were going to get on this class of ship.... you guys are lucky with so many to choose from.. we just have 2 ( sun & dawn) and they look exactly the same ...

anyway I paid for it so long ago now that the cost seems meaningless, I am just excited to get on and maybe they will forget me and they wont find me till the next port !!!

Joanne

Archived