Princess allows non-cruisers onboard for embarkation day

Infi

I do not like it either from a security perspective. I agree it is a nice idea but unfortunately not in the times in which we live.

The following agencies oversee cruiseline security and I am surprised that they would allow this. These agencies include the U.S. Coast Guard, the Department of Transportation, Customs and Border Protection, Office of Naval Intelligence, the Department of Homeland Security and the FBI, among others.

I don't like it.

More time spent catering to people not sailing.

Are they going to search them too?

How can they be sure they will all get off?

More people to get in the way.

I am leaving in April from FLL and I haven't heard anything about it from Princess as an option. S.

I agree with the risky aspect of this. I do understand it's a way for Princess to make a few extra dollars, but is it worth the risk?
By the way Travel Agents have been giving ship tours for a small fee for years so this is nothing new and not a security problem..

Sounds like an episode of the "Love Boat"... lol

I wonder how far in advance they'll start to round up everyone to get them off the ship so that there is no delay in setting sail.... hmmmm

Clamp on a few shock arm bands to remind them... *zap* "time to go!" :eek:

I think this is good marketing. Do't like the $39 so I would skip the program. I do not see a security problem. I think the line would issue a boarding card so they would know if they got off. If someone wanted to plant a bomb then they could purchase an inside room to get access to the ship then get off before sailing. Don't think the extra costs of the room would be a problem.

I agree it sounds like a good idea. Security is not a problem, as it's not like it will be a free for all. The visitors will be checked, just like everybody else. Why invite the risk? Come on, lock yourself in a basement, since you increase your risk walking outside every day.

And with the approx. 50 person limit, this is such a small amount of people in relation to the thousands boarding, this won't be a problem. I would be surprised that there would be that many in a lot of cases anyway. First, it would basically apply to people who are drive to passengers (or have friends in the port). Second, the friends would have to want to pay the $39 to get on the ship, and they would also want to pay for parking (which will be a hassle in itself). Not to mention lining up and waiting to board, because you know when they say priority boarding, it really means get here nice and early, and we'll park you in that room over there until the ship is clear.

Princess already does this with their weddings on board. There are always a lot of guests that attend the wedding and the reception and then leave the ship. They have to be registered at least 6 days before and their id's/passports are kept by security personnel at the entrance to the terminal and returned when they get off the ship. Has been going on for years and there have been little or no problems.

Sounds like an episode of the "Love Boat"... lol

I wonder how far in advance they'll start to round up everyone to get them off the ship so that there is no delay in setting sail.... hmmmm

Clamp on a few shock arm bands to remind them... *zap* "time to go!" :eek:

*imagining* Bungee-cords anchored ashore, then attached to each visitor's waistband...

I did read that visitors must have a passport, to hand over when they board, then retrieve when they get off? Otherwise, any passenger could take a street-person for lunch, just to get early boarding...

Ahhhhh, bringing back the nostalga of real cruising. Maybe we'll get back to real Formal Nights - just a thought.

Seriously, it will be interesting to see how they handle getting those non-passengers off the ship in a timely fashion.

Hopefully it will go well and it creates some interest for potential new Princess cruisers.

I see that it begins on the Emerald on the day we disembark so we won't know how it goes for this ship until someone posts a review.

The $39 fee is like a mini FCC, you can use it towards a future cruise! I'm going to call Princess right now and see if I can get my DH on the Pacific Princess this weekend when I embark! :D

The Bon Voyages start rolling out March 6, and in stages.

I called to see if DH could join me in Los Angeles this Sunday on the Pacific Princess, nope! I asked if he could come on the ship in Sydney when he picks me up there next month and they also said no! This program is only for US ports.

Just saw this online.

From the article:

Princess Cruises is reviving a signature tradition from the early days of cruising, the opportunity for passengers to have non-sailing friends and family come aboard on embarkation day to wish them a "bon voyage."

The "Bon Voyage Experience," as Princess is calling it, will cost $39 per person.

Princess says visitors who sign up for the new program will get a four-course dining room lunch with wine on the ship, a tour of the vessel and a souvenir photo. They and the passengers they are accompanying will have access to priority embarkation, and they'll be allowed onboard for about four hours. The $39 fee for the experience can be applied to a future Princess cruise.

The program will debut in March in the ports of Los Angeles and Fort Lauderdale, and then roll out to New York, San Francisco and Seattle.

Link: http://www.usatoday.com/travel/cruises/item.aspx?type=blog&ak=78458.blog

My reaction - what a unique (and smart) idea! I remember when non-cruisers were allowed to visit ships (for free) on embarkation day many years ago, and it was a nice way to spend an afternoon. I'm sure it was great advertising for the cruise line, too. What do you all think?

I think its a great idea, there will be minimal participation due to the fact most families are not from the embarkation port.

Believe me Princess has thought through the security aspects of it.

This was quite a bit of fun in the olden days :D, and I think it's a pretty cool idea now. I remember doing this in the 70's when my relatives cruised on the Carla C!

Here we go again, one more chance for people to insult the general population of an entire country for the actions of a few. :( Of course, in SJ the ship would be overrun with the local savages, I get it.

My very 1st cruise was on the Costa Carla C out of San Juan in the 70's. Since there were not the security concerns ( at all ports ) of today, the locals were able to come on board and use the nightclub until sailaway time of 11pm. I think Princess is reviving this but with a more controlled situation.

This is a very smart move on Princess' part. It's a great way for passengers to introduce families/friends who have not cruised before and give them an overview of the ship. If they like what they see and exoerience, Princess has gained new customers. If not, Princess has found a way to make a little extra money in these times when they are looking for ways to increase revenue. As others have said, there should not be any more security concerns than with any other groups that are presently being accommodated.

A great marketing idea.:D

It's a great idea and two of my family went on board in Southampton to see their son who works on Princess ships. They have to show their passports and these are kept at the desk until the visitors disembark. It doesn't make any difference to the people boarding for a cruise and in any case I should think only a handful of people are able to visit.

The son was delighted to see some of his family after months at sea

Archived