NorfolkSailor, help on Restaurant recommendation

RandyD

There are a couple of us coming in to Norfolk one night prior to the first Maasdam departure for NE/Canada in May, and we are looking for a restaurant recommendation for that pre-cruise night. ocrcone suggested that I try to write to you directly. We are staying downtown near the pier and the pagoda park. We like good restaurants, where the chef/owner takes pride.....Randy

When we were in Norfolk for our pre-cruise stay, we ate at a place called Bistro (chef Todd Jurich) - the food was terrific, the atmosphere simple elegance, the service flawless. We didn't have reservations, but since we went early they were able to accommodate us. I think for two of us, with a glass of wine each, and tip, we paid somewhere around $100 and didn't flinch because we so enjoyed our meal.

The place is located on the ground level of a business building practically right across the Nauticus. If there was any signage I missed it. If it had not been recommended to us by the staff at the Sheraton, we would have walked right by it - and missed one of the most enjoyable meals we've had in recent years.

The address/phn (from the Internet) is: 150 W Main Street, Suite 100, Norfolk, VA 23510 · 757-622-3210

I agree with the above (below?) post re: Bistro. Chef Jurich is a local and regionally renowned chef/restauranteer. You would be hard pressed to do better, but if price is an object, check WWW.Norfolkdowntown.com for some you like the sound of, and ask again. Been a Norfolk resident for the last 25 years and have my preferences. Give us an idea of your likes/dislikes.

Snowy and 30 degrees here today. Half Moon Cay is a pleasant memory.

Cheers

MarkB

We just returned from a 10 day out of Norfolk and stayed the evening prior at the Radisson. We went to a very nice place called Freemason Abbey located in a restored Presbyterian Church about 5 blocks from the hotel. It was a Wednesday evening and we had an entire lobster for $12.95!

Great atmosphere..........and service

I posted this on another thread, but figured I'd repeat it here. I also like Freemason Abbey, which is about a mile away from the pier. You can get info from their web site. I've never been to Bistro, but from the comments below I'd say it's not the same caliber. But it also won't run $100 for two people.

Having posted about the Bistro, let me chime in on the Freemason Abbey as we dined there on a previous visit to Norfolk. The place does not have the 'simple elegance' of the Bistro - a different ambiance (to me it was more like a tavern/pub). I wouldn't hesitate to eat at Freemason Abbey again, but this time I would probably ask to be seated upstairs. As for the food - it was really good. The French Onion Soup was quite delicious, the dinner salad very crisp, the seafood well-prepared, the Chocolate Spoon Cake scrumptious.

RandyD - I think your selection of a restaurant is going to depend on what you want out of your evening. Both Bistro and the Abbey have good food - just served in a different atmosphere.

We have dined at Kincaid’s Fish, Chop, and Steak House in the MacArthur Center (perhaps 5 blocks from the cruise terminal). We took some friend there for dinner and found the food and service to be outstanding. Perhaps a little pricey. We have also eaten at the Freemason Abbey. It has a unique atmosphere but probably is not in the same class as Kincaid’s.

mllewis48,

We are booked at the Radisson in March. How was your experience with the hotel? Would you stay there again? Have heard so many different views...recently much more positive. Also, how was the Maasdam? Was your cruise after the "wetdock" or before? A friend went in December and got in too late (4:30 pm - because of mechanical problems) to drive home and had to get a hotel for the night. Thanks for the Freemason Abbey tip, sounds like a good/interesting place to try.

We were very pleased with the service at the Radisson. We arrived mid afternoon the day prior, check in was very easy as they had a personal information packet ready for our stay. That evening in the lounge everyone that was crusing and staying at the Radisson was invited to cocktails and snacks on the house, lasted about and hour. When we went to the Abbey for dinner they shuttled us to and from. On the day of the cruise they also shuttled us to the pier and upon return they picked us up at the pier. Our car was very safe as it was parked on the property which is fenced in and secure.

We will do it again!

We just reserved a room the night before our cruise on the Hotel/Cruise Package. Was it a hassle trying to get to and from the ship on the shuttle. Was also wondering if you can walk to the pier from the hotel. Do they have a bus or is it just a standard shuttle van.

Thank you for your assistance.

h2so4, the recommendation for Todd Jurich's Bistro was perfect. I found their web site today which confirmed it's the type of place that we were hoping for in Norfolk prior to what looks to be a leisurely cruise from there to Montreal. The restaurant will be convenient to the renovated boutique hotel where we are staying, so it will be nice to be able to walk there, after having turned in the rental car that will get us to Norfolk.

We are looking forward to returning to HAL which has been more reliable (dining wise) than our most recent wanderings amongst other cruise lines (NCL being most recent which was very irregular on the Crown).

Glad to see that there was other interest by cruisers in Norfolk dining options, as it is an interesting port in a very different kind of way, especially when compared to Baltimore, Charleston, or Savannah. Rd

• 7 years later...
We just returned from a 10 day out of Norfolk and stayed the evening prior at the Radisson. We went to a very nice place called Freemason Abbey located in a restored Presbyterian Church about 5 blocks from the hotel. It was a Wednesday evening and we had an entire lobster for $12.95!

Great atmosphere..........and service

I love Freemason Abbey as well. Probably not so elegant as the Bistro, but one of my favorites.

Has anyone done the 30 day circle hawaii, tahiti and marquesas cruise? And an opinion of the Westerdam as far as spending 30 days on that ship

Maybe wrong thread...have been on that cruise on the Rotterdam and another on the Westerdam. I wouldn't hesitate to have the Westerdam for that cruise. Enjoy!

I was so confused at the thread title until I opened it and saw how old it is. :D I was thinking to myself..... Maasdam is sailing out of Norfolk again? No, I don't thiiiiink so. :)

I was doing the "happy dance" for about 10 seconds. :D Then I realized if Maasdam was back in Norfolk I would have known about it. Oh well, at least HAL was there when we were selecting our first cruise. Our choice was Maasdam because we could drive to the port (I hate flying). I could be sailing on who knows what cruise line if not for that first choice we made. :eek:

Archived