Labadee's Haitian Cultural Tour at Paradise Cove

kirracruiser

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if there is a tour that only visits the village? We are not so much interested in the beach, and have concerns about sun and heat - I am not sure what mid November will be like.

Or are there private tours available? We have cruised a lot but this is our first experience of this kind.

They seem to be so agreeable - willing to bet they would let you stay at the village and skip the beach. You might change your mind after you see the beach. We are leaving on the Oasis on Saturday and doing this excursion on Monday. I will try to remember to ask about the village-only option and let you know.

Does anyone know if this is staged village? I've done some reading and it appears to be the case.

We just did this tour last week and yes, it is staged. In fact, it isn't really a "village". There are stations where a person is demonstrating a trade. We were uncomfortable with this tour as we felt that the participants were somewhat exploited. In fact, we questioned the tour operator and asked if they were compensated and he informed us that they were paid $10 a day and that there were 27 Haitians on the payroll.

As you progress through the stations, you will have an opportunity to purchase their wares or tip them.

I see that others have greatly enjoyed this excursion but honestly, I cannot recommend this tour. For me this is a first.

Does anyone know if there is a tour that only visits the village? We are not so much interested in the beach, and have concerns about sun and heat - I am not sure what mid November will be like.

Or are there private tours available? We have cruised a lot but this is our first experience of this kind.

Since you arrive by boat, you will need to stay for the duration. There really isn't a village so it isn't as if you can wander around. You will take a guided walk by several staged tradespeople. One is grinding coffee, another making peanut butter, one making bread. A young girl selling candy. There are a few musicians and an artist. Perhaps a few more but that's pretty much it. Your guide will also point out different plants and what they are used for.

The beach is quite nice and there is plenty of shade.

We just did this tour last week and yes, it is staged. In fact, it isn't really a "village". There are stations where a person is demonstrating a trade. We were uncomfortable with this tour as we felt that the participants were somewhat exploited. In fact, we questioned the tour operator and asked if they were compensated and he informed us that they were paid $10 a day and that there were 27 Haitians on the payroll.

As you progress through the stations, you will have an opportunity to purchase their wares or tip them.

I see that others have greatly enjoyed this excursion but honestly, I cannot recommend this tour. For me this is a first.

Thanks for posting this. You saved us $ as we don't care to see a staged village. We would have been greatly disappointed in this.

This excursion is to learn about their culture. How they make certain products, the plants that grow on the island and how they are used, how the huts are made and what is used, about the voodoo, and their crafts. It is not a village at all. It is a cultural tour. Village, should not be in the title.

The tour owner is an american who spent most of his time growing up in Labadee and put it together to show people how the Haitians live, etc.

We did indeed do the tour and it was informative but not what we expected. I would not call it staged as I know for a fact that everything they did it true to how the Haitians live, cook, and do their crafts. My DD who has been 3 hours north of Labadee 3 times in the last year laughed when she heard I bought the rum on the beach for 7 dollars as it is 1.00 up in the mountains. ;)

We just returned from Oasis of the Seas cruise and enjoyed the stopover in Labadee. In the afternoon we took the Haitian Cultural Tour and Beach Break excursion. We were taken to an incredibly beautiful cove removed from the RCL port. We were told that this is the only excursion in Labadee where we could actually get a glimpse of the real Haiti. This was a great chance to get a better understanding of the culture, history, and resourcefulness of the Haitian people. It truly warmed my heart and soul. I am afraid without a tour like this Labadee would have seemed like any other Caribbean port of call. Take it from me I was born and raised( 17 yrs.) in Haiti. Merci everybody at the Haitian Cultural Tour.

We just returned from Oasis of the Seas cruise and enjoyed the stopover in Labadee. In the afternoon we took the Haitian Cultural Tour and Beach Break excursion. We were taken to an incredibly beautiful cove removed from the RCL port. We were told that this is the only excursion in Labadee where we could actually get a glimpse of the real Haiti. This was a great chance to get a better understanding of the culture, history, and resourcefulness of the Haitian people. It truly warmed my heart and soul. I am afraid without a tour like this Labadee would have seemed like any other Caribbean port of call. Take it from me I was born and raised( 17 yrs.) in Haiti. Merci everybody at the Haitian Cultural Tour.

Well said. :)

Good to know about this. I just got back from the "real" Haiti and get frustrated that most people judge Haiti by their sad, aggressive straw market. We will look into this. Thanks. Wish I could get out of the RCCL compound and show my family what Haiti really is. It's absolutely gorgeous. Dying to go to Cap Haitian. Did you do that (go out of RCCL area)? Thanks.

Karen

Good to know about this. I just got back from the "real" Haiti and get frustrated that most people judge Haiti by their sad, aggressive straw market. We will look into this. Thanks. Wish I could get out of the RCCL compound and show my family what Haiti really is. It's absolutely gorgeous. Dying to go to Cap Haitian. Did you do that (go out of RCCL area)? Thanks.

Karen

My brother's staff in his hotel are mostly from Cap Hatien. He fought hard to get us permission to have his friend's brother take us around. My brother's roommate is a Royal Caribbean employee -- a senior guy in their reservations/guest services department. So he had the right people, but he couldn't get us permission to do a private tour, no matter how many waivers we signed. We really wanted to spend time with some real Hatians, see the Citadelle, etc. ... but no go. I'm sure we'll like the Fishing Village tour, but it's still not quite what we had in mind.

My brother's staff in his hotel are mostly from Cap Hatien. He fought hard to get us permission to have his friend's brother take us around. My brother's roommate is a Royal Caribbean employee -- a senior guy in their reservations/guest services department. So he had the right people, but he couldn't get us permission to do a private tour, no matter how many waivers we signed. We really wanted to spend time with some real Hatians, see the Citadelle, etc. ... but no go. I'm sure we'll like the Fishing Village tour, but it's still not quite what we had in mind.

I just spent a week in Haiti with 2 Haitian Am. twin brothers who are doctors here in the US. They go to Haiti a few times a year w/ medical teams. They were born in Cap Haitian & never get that far north. I'd love to get pictures for them. Probably won't happen. Beautiful people, beautiful island. Bad Gov. Bad luck and lots of bad press (as well as bad promises from NGOs like the Red Cross.) .

Karen

I'm a little wary that the people posting on how great this tour are are people with very few posts, in fact one, who this was their first post on CC, I will however believe that the people who have over 900 posts and say that it wasn't the greatest tour are more believable.

I'm a little wary that the people posting on how great this tour are are people with very few posts, in fact one, who this was their first post on CC, I will however believe that the people who have over 900 posts and say that it wasn't the greatest tour are more believable.

Most everyone on CC had to start with post #1 at some point. I am not sure that a person's 1000th post is neccessarily anymore valid than their first. Tours like meals are quite subjective and generally they come down to the eyes of the beholder.

Most everyone on CC had to start with post #1 at some point. I am not sure that a person's 1000th post is neccessarily anymore valid than their first. Tours like meals are quite subjective and generally they come down to the eyes of the beholder.

Totally agree....

I'm thinking of this tour and interested to read everyone's views. Think those with lots of posts and those with just a few are equally valid.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to share their views :)

• 1 month later...

well way too many one hit "this is wonderful" for me.

I've been researching enough years to know that it's way too coincidental. Being open minded is one thing... being so easily had is another. A previous poster made an excellent suggestion to be wary of these few hit wonders. It's not bad advice....

but I hope anyone who does this tour has an excellent time:D

• 3 weeks later...

Went on the Haitian Cultural Tour at Paradise Cove last June. My family and I had a great time and totally recommend this excursion at Labadee. This was one of the MOST BEAUTIFUL beaches we have ever seen.

The tour of the fishing village was very informative and interesting. Our children were 15 and 18 at the time. This was really awesome to see, especially after all the news coverage of Haiti from the earth quake. We learned how houses were built, different foods were made, and got to taste homemade peanut butter and a flat bread. I felt awesome knowing that with the ticket I purchased I was helping the Haitian people. After the tour we came back to the beach. The water was absolutely breath taking. We chatted with Roberto who was experiencing his first day as a guide on this Haitian Cultural Tour. I agree, this is great for families who want their kids to learn a little something too!:D

Would HIGHLY recommend this tour.

• 4 months later...

Labadee was one of my favorite stops when I was on the Jewel of the Sea two years ago. I actually hit the zip line, which, although expensive, was a lot of fun and I also rode the tiny roller coaster in addition to this excursion.

The guide was very knowledgeable and I had a great time in the village. I still have some reservations whether or not this was a "real" village, or whether it was staged for tourists, but regardless, it was fun to explore. There were some goats running around the village, but the ONE thing that I still haven't been able to find is that peanut butter. I've looked and I would go back, just to try this peanut butter again.

The one thing I did not expect was to disembark the tour boat and wade into the village. The fact that there is no road into the village makes me think that its totally set up for tourists.

All in all, I would recommend this excursion.

Oh, FYI, the only reason I"m posting was because I had a craving for the peanut butter and was actually searching to see if some vendor was selling something similar to what I experienced on this island. I found this thread and just posted for the hell of it.

Labadee was one of my favorite stops when I was on the Jewel of the Sea two years ago....

The guide was very knowledgeable and I had a great time in the village. I still have some reservations whether or not this was a "real" village, or whether it was staged for tourists, but regardless, it was fun to explore.

... but the ONE thing that I still haven't been able to find is that peanut butter. I've looked and I would go back, just to try this peanut butter again.

I would recommend it based on own experience and after we also read mixed reviews on this board (note that the owner's son told us upfront that "Le village" is staged as the RCI rules didn't allow it otherwise; and the locals get paid about $10.00 USD/day when the tourists come in "to visit"); this tour also gives you enough time afterwards to explore the private island of Labadee.

For a pre-view of what to expect in general (and then make an educated decision if this type of excursion is something that you may enjoy/ or not), feel free to browse the pictures from our 2010/2011 Holiday cruise that included Labadee, Haiti as the first port of call (the Haitian Cultural tour is seen on the first half of the album):

http://2010holidaycruisemercury.shutterfly.com/pictures/2095

Also as a reference point, some YouTube related videos:

http://2010holidaycruisemercury.shutterfly.com/pictures/3035

http://2010holidaycruisemercury.shutterfly.com/pictures/3036

http://2010holidaycruisemercury.shutterfly.com/pictures/3037

Oh! And that Haitian peanut butter:

http://2010holidaycruisemercury.shutterfly.com/pictures/2670

• 7 months later...
1000 post here! (well almost) My dh and I did this tour in Jan 2011. I would highly recommend it:). I packed a knapsack full of candy, school supplies, and small toys for the few kids that live near/work at this little beach area!

Cantwait2cruize: I'm plan on taking my 3 grandsons on this tour - I think it'll be a wonderful learning experience for them.

I'd be interested in knowing more about bringing items to the Labadee village..... Would you pls. list a few examples of types of candy, school supplies and toys that you brought to hand out to the local children?

• 6 months later...
I would recommend it based on own experience and after we also read mixed reviews on this board (note that the owner's son told us upfront that "Le village" is staged as the RCI rules didn't allow it otherwise; and the locals get paid about $10.00 USD/day when the tourists come in "to visit"); this tour also gives you enough time afterwards to explore the private island of Labadee.

For a pre-view of what to expect in general (and then make an educated decision if this type of excursion is something that you may enjoy/ or not), feel free to browse the pictures from our 2010/2011 Holiday cruise that included Labadee, Haiti as the first port of call (the Haitian Cultural tour is seen on the first half of the album):

http://2010holidaycruisemercury.shutterfly.com/pictures/2095

Also as a reference point, some YouTube related videos:

http://2010holidaycruisemercury.shutterfly.com/pictures/3035

http://2010holidaycruisemercury.shutterfly.com/pictures/3036

http://2010holidaycruisemercury.shutterfly.com/pictures/3037

Oh! And that Haitian peanut butter:

http://2010holidaycruisemercury.shutterfly.com/pictures/2670

There are a many different "staged" events whether it is in the U.S. of any other country to demonstrate what past history was like, or even to demonstrate local cultrue as is the case with Haiti. In this case it gives insight to their culture and helps the locals out. :)

Archived