Norwegian cancels cruise at only hours notice

tatmanjj

This is so wrong on so many levels.

How is the OP to blame for any of this?

So, should I call Expedia and inquire if my cruise is chartered and therefore at risk of cancellation? As far as travel insurance is concerned... I always thought it was to insure against illness or missed flights, to protect the traveller NOT the cruiseline.

Why would I possibly buy insurance to protect the cruiseline? It makes no sense at all.

I'm sure NCL has their own insurance for Liability, breech of contract, etc.

Does anyone know if the TA is required to disclose if a cruise is chartered?

I do not feel bad for NCL, they are in business to make a profit and there is always some risk involved. As I'm certain they are aware.*

I doubt that the OP endevoured to take any such risk. He booked and paid for a cruise that was taken from him without notice or even a follow up return call.

It's outrageous.

I think everyone would agree that it is outrageous that the OP was not notified further in advance. What most seem to disagree with is that it was NCL's responsibility.

As far as insurance, you are exactly right. You take out travel insurance to protect yourself. The level you protect yourself is up to you. It could be just for illness, but there are many levels that you can insure a trip for, up to and including cancelation for any reason. None of that protects the cruiseline because they already have the money paid for the cruise. I think the insurance mentioned to protect NCL was meant as a business type insurance to protect NCL against cancelation of the charter, not passangers insuring anything for NCL. I don't think many of us "cheerleaders" would say we feel sorry for NCL itself for as you say there are always risks in business, but many of us feel sorry for the crew who will be going a month or longer without the normal pay they were expecting.

Also, a quick tip is that if you can go on NCL's own website and pull up your cruise for booking that usually means it is not a fully chartered cruise. Any cruise could have a charter on it.. but that doesn't mean the whole cruise is a charter. The ones that are fully chartered are the ones mentioned on this thread as having a greater risk.

I know you've said twice that we're blaming the OP, but I still can't find the posts where it's happened.

As for the insurance-well it protects the individual, not the cruise line (btw-again, it doesn't appear that the cruise line is at fault anyhow)

My recollection might be a bit fuzzy, and I'm sure someone here will set me straight if I'm wrong :D, but when I tried to check on one of the two repo cruises (we were actually considering doing the one from LA to Vancouver), it was a struggle finding out how to book it because it was being booked by NewWest and not NCL.

Does anyone else recall this?

My recollection might be a bit fuzzy, and I'm sure someone here will set me straight if I'm wrong :D, but when I tried to check on one of the two repo cruises (we were actually considering doing the one from LA to Vancouver), it was a struggle finding out how to book it because it was being booked by NewWest and not NCL.

You are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT! THAT is exactly the point many of us have been trying to make to the OP (and their supporters) for this entire thread!

You are correct. You could not book any part of the 28 day charter through NCL directly...

I could honestly not care one way or the other that this was the OP's first posting. We have all had our first posting at some point. What I am shocked and amazed at is that the OP would blame NCL for not notifying them of the cancellation when it was the charter company that canceled the booking. You can spend all day saying what would be nice or what would be good customer service, but at some point you have to come back to reality. Reality is that the charter company was responsible to notify it's customers (the OP) of the cancellation, that was not NCL's job. You can say that NCL should have done this or NCL should have done that, but as with what most everyone else has said, it was the charter company that caused all of this and their responsiblility to inform the customers.

I agree, NCL is not responsible.

We were, in fact, booked on the Feb. 6th Repo to Vancouver (in the Garden Villa!) and we also found out 3 days prior to the cruise about the cancellation. I actually found out here on CC, called my NEWWEST TA who did not confirm the cancellation right away, but kept me at bay for several hours until she could say it was "officially" canceled.

Luckily I put the charges on my AMEX card and they took them right off my account when I explained the cruise was canceled. We had Alaska Airlines non refundable tickets purchased, but when we called and told them of the cancelation, they also refunded the charges to our Discover card.

Newwest was not helpful in any way and always dodged our telephone calls. They finally put up a web page so passengers could access information on how to obtain refunds. No personal apology from Newwest or the TA:mad:

The HERO of this story is NCL:) They answered my emails and have apologized ( not even their fault )for our heartbreak in missing our first time in the Garden Villa! I have worked with a wonderful Sales Leader at NCL and we are now booked on an upcoming cruise in the GV! They went above and beyond in their concern for us and I will continue to sing their praises:D

As to the OP, I feel bad for the loss of their cruise and can understand their frustration. I only hope they will get fully refunded too.

Huh? Did you reply to the wrong post? I did NOT say OP was to blame for this! In fact, I said I feel awful for the OP and that I hope the OP had travel insurance! Perhaps some of the extra expense they paid in air travel will be recouped if they did.

I DID say EVERY cruise is at risk, whether chartered by NewWest or Rosie or a not chartered. Any number of things could go wrong including weather, illness, accidents, icebergs :eek:, etc... The list goes on and on. Poop happens, as they say.

What, exactly, is wrong in that?

I'm not sure if calling Expedia will help you or not, sorry.

So, should I call Expedia and inquire if my cruise is chartered and therefore at risk of cancellation? As far as travel insurance is concerned... I always thought it was to insure against illness or missed flights, to protect the traveller NOT the cruiseline.

Why would I possibly buy insurance to protect the cruiseline? It makes no sense at all.

I do not feel bad for NCL, they are in business to make a profit and there is always some risk involved. As I'm certain they are aware.*

I doubt that the OP endevoured to take any such risk. He booked and paid for a cruise that was taken from him without notice or even a follow up return call.

It's outrageous.

Cruise you are certainly correct - I looked into booking the repo and had to get my TA to look into how she was going to handle it herself - I didn't book because I didn't like the idea of full payment up front and no cancellation policy and glad I didn't because I am now an Olympic volunteer and the dates would have conflicted with some of my duties.

Cheers

Dennis

It's outrageous.

It is evident that you either cannot, or do not want to understand what has been posted.

If your mind is made up to blame NCL for this problem, and you will not listen to the true reason for this problem, any further attempts to explain are to no avail.

Please do yourself a favor and read what has been posted. Perhaps then you will understand the problem and what OP needs to do to resolve it.

The problem with most of the comments here is no one here knows what the OP was told by the TA. The OP might have been under the mistaken impression that this cruise was being booked Thur NCL and might not have know about the involvement of Newest. It all depends on how much the OP was told by their TA..

Naturally the one post wonder rule applied since their first was a negative one..I'm sure the OP joined CC, set up an account and created a profile just the post false info about NCL.. :rolleyes:

Huh? Did you reply to the wrong post? I did NOT say OP was to blame for this! In fact, I said I feel awful for the OP and that I hope the OP had travel insurance! Perhaps some of the extra expense they paid in air travel will be recouped if they did.

I DID say EVERY cruise is at risk, whether chartered by NewWest or Rosie or a not chartered. Any number of things could go wrong including weather, illness, accidents, icebergs :eek:, etc... The list goes on and on. Poop happens, as they say.

What, exactly, is wrong in that?

I'm not sure if calling Expedia will help you or not, sorry.

Sorry, I "quoted" your post in regards to the travel insurance only.

It was the "jist" of the thread that seemed, in my opinion, to blame the OP ( and rush to the defense of NCL)

I'm a traveller and enjoy this message board. I count on these posts to inform me about not only all the wonderful cruise experiences but also the potential hazards.

Peace,

Juried

Jeez people STOP bringing facts and logic (like NCL was NOT responsible for the cancellation) into this! It only confuses those who want to blame NCL at all costs.

And please don't point out that the OP was incorrect - that is just such a mean personal attack! It's his RIGHT to blame the wrong company and spread misinformation - don't you know! You people trying to correct misinformation are just so wrong! The OP lost his cruise - he should be able to blame anyone he wants to!

*** Sarcasm intended ***

BTW I feel sorry for the OP but I wish he was blaming the correct company.

We might never hear from the OP again. Doesn't look like he's been online since dropping the little cancellation bomb this morning.

And that's too bad if the OP doesn't return to read this thread because they are liable to continue to blame NCL and to badmouth NCL to others and that is not fair.

If you have been reading CC you would have known this information beforehand!

This is absolutely correct. I have never cruised on NCL. I tried a couple months ago, but my ship (Dawn) decided to spend some extra time in Puerto Rico and didn't come to Miami. Because I am a follower, not so much a poster, on the CC boards, I was not surprised when I got to Miami to find out that my cruise was canceled. I booked another immediately on RCCL and made the best of a bad situation. A couple of notes.

If you haven't had a cruise canceled by a cruise line at the last minute then you do not know how it feels. It SUCKS! BAD! I wanted to complain (and did) to anyone that would listen. The poster (Troll?) whatever, was incorrect about who was to blame, but believe me I know, you want to blame, blame, blame. Cruise insurance did not buy back my work vacation days or my many nights of research about a vacation that did not happen. If I had been unable to get on another cruise that week, I do not know how I would have handled it. So the guy, while misguided and uninformed, wanted to vent. All he probably wanted to hear was a few kind or supportive words. This guy got none.

To the OP-Sorry about your cruise. I know how it feels, but things happen and you keep moving on. I have booked a cruise on NCL for May and I am looking forward to it very much. NCL helped with my situation (Refund + credit + airline charges). I hope that Newwest treats you as well as NCL treated me.

The problem with most of the comments here is no one here knows what the OP was told by the TA. The OP might have been under the mistaken impression that this cruise was being booked Thur NCL and might not have know about the involvement of Newest. It all depends on how much the OP was told by their TA..

Naturally the one post wonder rule applied since their first was a negative one..I'm sure the OP joined CC, set up an account and created a profile just the post false info about NCL.. :rolleyes:

Even if true that OP was given incorrect info (and that certainly isn't what OP said and I don't buy it given the wording in the post), that is not a justification to bash NCL (or anyone) with totally incorrect facts. In the legal world, that is why re-publishing defamatory statements is still defamatory. You can't make a false statement about a person and use an excuse that you heard it somewhere else. :(

I understand the frustration (hey I was on the Dawn!), but it isn't right to place blame where blame is not due. I think that's what posters are taking issue with.

Rich, it happens all the time, people do join just for that reason...

Regardless is information is incorrect and it would be nice if he or she would come back and apologize for attacking the wrong company.

Nita

You must be kidding....The OP got hammered got by a bunch of strangers and you expect them to come back to explain and appologise..you must be kidding..I know the theory, not coming back shows a lack of credilbility..

I've seen it time and time again when a new OP does come back and gets hammered again...I just sit back and wonder "what were you thinking"..

The rules around here are simple if a one post wonder says something good they are fine..

If they say something bad the are the devil incarnate..

True Liberal speak. It's gotta be someone elses fault. :rolleyes:

You know OPW's come around here all the time. :confused:

PE

Of course NCL should accept some responsibilty, they leased out a valuable asset to a third party and (apparenlty) allowed them to trade on their good name without (apparently) putting in place any guarantees or security to deal with cancellation.

It appears that Tatmanjj did not know he was booking with a third party, surely NCL and his TA should have made this clear in their contact with him.

At the every least, they should have put a system in place to help the stranded passengers who have travelled thousands of miles, not just a recorded announcment, they knew where they were coming from and who they were, they also probably had a good idea that bookings had fallen short of expectations well before the event and should have acted earlier.

If they didn't know this, they were not in control.

Archived