Norwegian cancels cruise at only hours notice

tatmanjj

Wow - I think this post is trying to set a record. Over a hundred in a few hours. Though, it look likes 70 of them are just saying the same thing.

NEWEST cancelled,pulled out. Done.

As to them giving refunds to everyone. That should be interesting. Unless they have some kind of deep pockets, there will be a problem with that. I am sure they still owe NCL some big bucks, along with lots of bucks they have already paid them. All that money has to come from someplace.

NCL TO BLAME?

There is no way in the world that NCL should do anything, or should have had any system in place to deal with the fallout. UNLESS, of course, Newest contracted with NCL to do damage control in case they screwed up.

About the only NCL might, and I repeat the word MIGHT, be to blame for is that they believed Newest would do what the agreed to do with their ship.

ONE POST WONDER

I do feel bad, as most people here do about their situation. And to be fair, it would be easy to believe they were booked with NCL. Anybody here that reads all the fine print on the contracts is, well, not normal. LOL!

E-mails to NCL both in London and Miami received no acknowlegment or reply. BE WARNED that NCL would appear to have no concern or consideration for its clients. Their behaviour may well be within the terms and conditions of the small print ... but the ethics of a company who cancels a cruise with little or no notice is indeed questionable!

SHAME on you NCL!

I agree 100% with you. Even if NCL was not responsible for the cancellation as the other posters claim, it should still have the ethics and professionalism to respond to you to give an explanation.

This lack of consideration for its customers is the norm for NCL now, as cruise industries report about its increasing financial problems. One would think NCL would work harder at PR to increase or at least retains its customer base.:confused:

I agree 100% with you. Even if NCL was not responsible for the cancellation as the other posters claim, it should still have the ethics and professionalism to respond to you to give an explanation.

Yes, and I have a copy of the response they wanted to send out.

Dear Newest Customer:

As you know, we rented one of our ships to Newest (or whatever their name is) for the month of February. Based on phone calls we have received from some of their customers, it appears they are having some financial problems. We have been trying to contact their senior management, but all of the phone calls go unanswered. We have worked through various channels only to be told that they are working on this. Our lawyers have indicated we are not allowed to contact the customers of another company, even though we might know who they are. And, since we do not know the status of this charter, we can only tell you that we don't know a darn thing about this, so why in the heck are you calling us. We are about to take a serious financial hit and are so darn mad at them if this is what is really happening. So don't call us.

Thank You

This lack of consideration for its customers is the norm for NCL now, as cruise industries report about its increasing financial problems. One would think NCL would work harder at PR to increase or at least retains its customer base.:confused:

Could not disagree with you more!!!! One flawed statement "This lack of consideration for its customers is the norm for NCL"....The OP is/was not a customer of NCL, the charter company is the customer in this case...

OP was not NCL's client. They have no reason to get drawn into this problem created by NewWest.

You're SOOOO correct...NCL should have run the cruise ANYWAYS, regardless of Newwest requesting to cancel. They should have refunded the money to Newwest and sailed with a ship 1/3 full of Newwest's clients. That way, they could build goodwill with all of Newwest's customers, and perhaps get another sale for another cruise in the future! (Now pulling my tongue back out of my cheek...that hurt!)

You're SOOOO correct...NCL should have run the cruise ANYWAYS, regardless of Newwest requesting to cancel. They should have refunded the money to Newwest and sailed with a ship 1/3 full of Newwest's clients. That way, they could build goodwill with all of Newwest's customers, and perhaps get another sale for another cruise in the future! (Now pulling my tongue back out of my cheek...that hurt!)

You need to soak that cheek with some of the stuff you're drinking AND send me some of it !!! Must be good stuff !!!:D:D

This whole thing is NOT OP's problem, he is the VICTIM! given the magnitude of the way he was messed over, WHO CARES WHO HE BLAMES???? PULEEZE just leave him alone and quit dumping on him for not being more precise in laying blame!! Let him blame NCL, someone here can set the record straight, and that's the end of it! WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL that's worth hundreds of posts anyway???

I can only imagine how furious ANY OF US would be about the cancellation, whether we learned about it 2/3 or 2/6!! c'mon!

This whole thing is NOT OP's problem, he is the VICTIM! given the magnitude of the way he was messed over, WHO CARES WHO HE BLAMES???? PULEEZE just leave him alone and quit dumping on him for not being more precise in laying blame!! Let him blame NCL, someone here can set the record straight, and that's the end of it! WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL that's worth hundreds of posts anyway???

I can only imagine how furious ANY OF US would be about the cancellation, whether we learned about it 2/3 or 2/6!! c'mon!

There is a big reason not to let the OP come on here and point the finger to NCL. Too many people come to Cruise Critic for information. If you see something posted that is giving false information that could affect someone's decision to book a cruise then you should comment on the persons posting. NCL was not to blame in this nor should NCL have contacted the OP about the cancellation. Any attack on the OP is not right, but correcting what the OP posted is not wrong and in fact should be done.

There is a big reason not to let the OP come on here and point the finger to NCL. Too many people come to Cruise Critic for information. If you see something posted that is giving false information that could affect someone's decision to book a cruise then you should comment on the persons posting. NCL was not to blame in this nor should NCL have contacted the OP about the cancellation. Any attack on the OP is not right, but correcting what the OP posted is not wrong and in fact should be done.

Well said (as usual) Terry. Misinformation should always be corrected.

Jeez people STOP bringing facts and logic (like NCL was NOT responsible for the cancellation) into this! It only confuses those who want to blame NCL at all costs.

And please don't point out that the OP was incorrect - that is just such a mean personal attack! It's his RIGHT to blame the wrong company and spread misinformation - don't you know! You people trying to correct misinformation are just so wrong! The OP lost his cruise - he should be able to blame anyone he wants to!

*** Sarcasm intended ***

BTW I feel sorry for the OP but I wish he was blaming the correct company.

LOL.. too funny Zeno

I agree, NCL is not responsible.

We were, in fact, booked on the Feb. 6th Repo to Vancouver (in the Garden Villa!) and we also found out 3 days prior to the cruise about the cancellation. I actually found out here on CC, called my NEWWEST TA who did not confirm the cancellation right away, but kept me at bay for several hours until she could say it was "officially" canceled.

Luckily I put the charges on my AMEX card and they took them right off my account when I explained the cruise was canceled. We had Alaska Airlines non refundable tickets purchased, but when we called and told them of the cancelation, they also refunded the charges to our Discover card.

Newwest was not helpful in any way and always dodged our telephone calls. They finally put up a web page so passengers could access information on how to obtain refunds. No personal apology from Newwest or the TA:mad:

The HERO of this story is NCL:) They answered my emails and have apologized ( not even their fault )for our heartbreak in missing our first time in the Garden Villa! I have worked with a wonderful Sales Leader at NCL and we are now booked on an upcoming cruise in the GV! They went above and beyond in their concern for us and I will continue to sing their praises:D

As to the OP, I feel bad for the loss of their cruise and can understand their frustration. I only hope they will get fully refunded too.

I am amazed you were able to post this and not get ripped to shreds by some saying you were bashing the OP by sharing your positive experience.

And what about the poor people who had booked for the Mexican Riviera months in advance, just to find out the Newwest had chartered the ship out from under them?

I am always heart broken when I read on CC of this happening to people. Didn't this happen to some last year when Rosie chartered and NCL ship or Opra or someone like that?

"WHO CARES WHO HE BLAMES????" Really? When did it become okay to blame the wrong, innocent party? Nobody is saying the OP doesn't have the right to vent. I believe everyone empathizes with his position and understands his frustration. But no one EVER should blame the wrong party. Now, I'm not saying he did it on purpose (I don't think anybody said that), but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be corrected.

Well said (as usual) Terry. Misinformation should always be corrected.

Exactly.

Any attack on the OP is not right, but correcting what the OP posted is not wrong and in fact should be done.

No problem with the correction, but let's all sympathize with OP about the situation, which is totally unfair to him!

No problem with the correction, but let's all sympathize with OP about the situation, which is totally unfair to him!

Beyond unfair. In his/her shoes I would be just beyond words.. beyond heartbroken.. I have fears of this happening almost every cruise or trip we take.. so I can totally understand how they must have felt.

I feel bad for the OP and anyone who was disappointed. But surely when the OP titled their post they knew that the entire deal was with newwest. But I guess newwest did not have a forum in which to vent.

I guess this solidifies how vital it is to have a TA you can trust. My cousin is my TA and she is always looking out for me. I am so lucky.

I hope the OP has an opportunity to cruise NCL someday and have an enjoyable cruise and meet some of us. I know right now they might feel like NCL is not for them, but maybe in time they can feel good about choosing NCL.

I found out on Tuesday that a coworker didn't make the connection to his flight to Miami and so "missed the boat". So they rented a car in Houston and visited relatives in NO instead. They made the best of it but it did cost them a bundle. No trip insurance. It was supposed to be their second cruise. They aren't bitter at all. I advised him to read CC or ask me. They were scheduled to arrive at 2:30 for a 5:00 sailing. :eek:

Archived