2 Children on Zuider (7 & 8) Yes or No?

Bridges300

Hi, Can anyone tell us abouth the kids programs on Zuider?

Our TA says that HAL is making a big push for the family trade, but being experienced Carnival and RCL cruisers with there strong kids programs we are a little hesitant? Any info would be great.

While HAL is making a strong effort to market their cruises for families, especially on the Zuiderdam, I don't think you will find the kids program as strong as on the other lines you have sailed. I am not saying its not good, but possibly not as good as what you have experienced in the past. From what I undertand, the hours of Club HAL aren't as good as some of the other lines, but I think your kids will have a good time on the Zuiderdam.

My nieces and nephews a few years back sailed on the Veendam during Feb school vacation week. This was their first cruise, so they had nothing to compare it with, but they thought Club HAL was fantastic. We are planning another family cruise in 2006 and the kids can't wait to participate in Club HAL.

Thanks very much for the reply.The late hours in the other line's programs really do make the parents trip a lot more enjoyable. It gave us the flexibility to be with our kids during the day but really enjoy "our nights". Does anyone have specific info on the hours of Camp Hal?

From what I remember on our Veendam cruise, the children's program at night was from 8 pm - 9:45 pm, nothing else after that. Club HAL had 2 hour or so programs in the morning, 2 hour or so programs in the afternoon and the evening ones, this was on sea days. While in port during the days, no Club HAL program were offered. From what I read, it may not be the flexibility you are looking for. We sailed with the entire family, so we kind of had people to watch the kids here and there. It worked out great for us, hope it does for you as well.

Hope this helps.

We just got back from a week on the Westerdam( Same ship as Zuiderdam basically). Our 9 year old daughter loved Club Hal. The hours were somewhat limited 10-12, 2-4pm, 8-10pm; but they would take her later for $5 hr. She loved this program better than Princess and the two counselors were terrific. We were happy to have our daughter with us during off hours so it was great. Also, Half moon Cay has a fun new children's water park that was great, as well as a playground.

I guess its because not alot of kids sail on HAL vs. some of the other cruiselines, but HAL is definately trying to change that. Like I said, my nieces and nephews loved Club HAL as I am sure your family will as well.

We found that because there weren't alot of kids onboard and the activities for Club HAL weren't overflowing with kids, my nieces and nephews kind of got individualized attention from the counsellors onboard, that made them feel special.

We were on the Veendam last year with our family and 6 children that were a variety of ages. The kids did some of the programs, but mostly stayed with us. I think all of us as adults agreed that we kind of enjoyed having the ship not overflowing with kids. It enabled us to keep better tabs on our own, and the pools were not overcrowded. With being on a smaller ship than some of the Carnival and RC, it was so easy getting on and off the boat for excursions. We saw the other lines for the other ships trying to get back on board and it took them hours. Many very unhappy children in those lines. We just walked on by to our ship or the tenderer. Our kids ranged from 3 to 11 at the time. This year we are sailing on the Zuiderdam in the spring, and are looking forward to the enhanced kids programs for the little ones, but the older cousins are comfortable hanging out with the adults and going in and out of the programs. The kids had nothing to compare to as far as the programs, but they really seemed very happy and content with what they had to do between movies, pools, and fun excursions. Hope this helps.

Have to agree with all the other posters and my 9 and 7 yr old will agree...Club HAL. We are sailing on the Oosterdam this summer and my kids cannot wait. My two girls loved the smaller program - where they were 1of 15 vs 1 of 50+. We sailed on the RC Mariner last yr - and yes it has the rock climbing, ice skating, minature golf....but those they did with us. As for the camp - they did not enjoy it as much as the Maasdam and ZUiderdam. Much smaller ratio on HAL - and the activities were much better - they had a POOL party on each ship! one night. That did not happen on Celebrity or RC. Tie-dyed shirts, scavenger hunts, and Half Moon Cay pirate scavenger hunt. ...need I go on.... + now with extended hrs 10-12 (which is what we felt was the only thing missing). I'd rather be on a ship with 100 kids then 700...and so would my kids!

skylar

My girls enjoyed it - BUT it was the middle of August....it was HOT. I think they would have rather been in the water the whole time. I can't wait till we are back at Half Moon...kids water park, horseback riding, stingrays, ...I wish they would overnite at Half Moon. It is so beautiful there.

We were on the Z. during her inaugural year and my then 9 year old enjoyed the kid's program. In fact, we will be back on her this summer. I have to agree that the Treasure Hunt on HMC wasn't the most enjoyable time spent on HMC. My son would have rather played in the sand or taken another banana boat ride.

Our 8 yo daughter loved Club HAL and consulted the activity list each morning so she could inform US what HER plans were to be that day. There were a wide variety of activities and she enjoyed everyone on the Club HAL staff

Some here on this board would tell you that HAL is not a kid's cruise line... some here would tell you that the kids had a good time "only" because it was a "Holiday" cruise. I find it hard to believe that any of the ship's staff, including the stewards would treat any of the children differently "only" because we sailed during a holiday. IMHO, they do not see enough children and appreciate them all that much more...

The kids will have a great time, go and enjoy!!!

Holland America Youth Program Guidelines

Archived