When and where are the calmest waters??

jellybeana

I love cruising and would love for my mother age 78 to come with me as I think she would really like it. The only problem is she is deathly afraid of getting sea sick. She does suffer from a little vertigo even on dry land and doesn't want to spend weeks being sick. She said she would like to try but not for a long cruise which I like, but a short 2-3 night.

I need help picking the calmest, smoothest waters so at least we can start out on the right foot. I know not to pick hurricane season, but beyond that need any suggestions. I think once she gets passed the first time she will be fine and won't want to stop.

She has jokingly said she has the xanax ready so she is a good sport. Thanks for any help

Sadly the seas can kick up anytime of the year. A storm thousands of miles away can cause unsettled seas in any ocean. During the winter there are fronts coming down from up north and during the summer always the threat of a hurricane. Find a cruise that the two of you might enjoy, go and have a great time. Rest assured the cruise line and the Captain will keep you safe and out of harms way.

NO body of water is immune to roughness....even lakes can sink a ship!!!! Except for certain areas (like around the ends of Africa and S. Amer.) where it's almost ALWAYS terribly rough, the seas can vary from day to day...hour to hour....winds, frontal systems....there's NO WAY to predict what the ocean will be like on any given day.

Can't guarantee smooth seas anywhere, or any season.

Perhaps a Southern Carib. itinerary from San Juan that visits an island virtually every day, will ease her anxiety (knowing you will be in port the next morning may help "if" she feels discomfort despite using motion sickness preventitives);)

jellybeana, your mom is about my mom's age and we treasure the memories from our seven night cruise. Sailing from San Juan is typically smooth, as you are already in the Caribbean vs. departing from Florida where the waters can be rougher. However, you won't find 2-3 day cruises that are so common from FL ports.

You can't guarantee the seas with Mother Nature, but please keep in mind that the ships are so large now with huge stabilizers, etc. that very few people get seasick these days. And if she talks with her doctor (due to the vertigo) and takes a preventative medication (whether it's Bonine, etc.) and has a midship stateroom location, she should be fine. Living in Denver, would a short cruise from the west coast interest you? Carnival has 3 & 4 day sailings from Long Beach, CA and Royal Caribbean's 'Radiance of the Seas' offers a 5 night on 5/3/10 r.t. from San Diego.

Holland America has some very short (1 day!) and 4 day cruises this spring, beginning at the end of April. L.A. to Vancouver, or Vancouver to Seattle, or

San Diego to Vancouver. There are a couple of San Diego to Vancouver coastals that stop in Victoria, B.C. if you and your mother would be interested in seeing the world famous Butchart Gardens there.

I hope the two of you enjoy a wonderful cruise (and more to come) together! :)

Archived