Restaurant Recommendation

lisabelo

Hi!

I am staying at the Caribe hilton at the end of the month and wanted to see if anyone could recommend a good restaurant. We don't really want to eat at the hotel and don't mind traveling for something good :)

Thanks!

It depends on what you want. We've had a fabulous meal in Old San Juan at Marmalade. But it's kind of a trendy, more expensive place with fantastic food and cocktails. If you're looking for more of a good "local dive" perhaps someone else will have a good recommendation. Enjoy!

We had one of the best meals of our lives at Budatai, located on Ashford Avenue in the Condado section. We made a meal out of four small plates and a dessert. Those, plus one cocktail apiece (just 2 of us) ran us over $100. But it was Sooo good!

If you're going to be in Old San Juan we had a delicious lunch at El Convento. It's right across from the Cathedral of San Juan Bautista. We were doing a self guided walking tour of OSJ and it was a convenient stopping point. Beautiful courtyard setting.

We have eaten twice at a small, authentic restaurant that we loved. They serve paella, seafood, meats etc and is reasonable. The name of the place is La Dorado. We stayed at the Marriott Stellaris and it was in walking distance. We will go there again when in PR.

We are at the Intercontinental right now, and ate at Mi Casita last night....it was amazing! We all enjoyed our meals. We all had different kinds of Mofongo...chicken, seafood, steak. It was very tasty! It is in a shopping plaza near the Burger King/Ponderosa on the main strip.

None of the places mentioned are walking distance from Caribe Hilton which I think is what OP hoped for. A taxi is required for all but some are not very far by taxi.

My son, his wife and four daughters walked from the Hilton to Old San Juan. It is only about a 30 min walk if your walk fast.

We stayed in the Sheraton, put still spent hours and about 5 miles walking around the city.

None of the places mentioned are walking distance from Caribe Hilton which I think is what OP hoped for. A taxi is required for all but some are not very far by taxi.

I didn't get that impression at all. They did say they were willing to travel for something good.

Any suggestion for good restaurants in the Isla Verde area?

Mi Casita, as mentioned in another post, is quite good, and very reasonably priced. We ate many breakfasts there. It's located in the small plaza across the street from the Intercontinental.

Down the street, towards the airport, is Metropol. It's a bit pricier, but also quite good, although we didn't find it quite as memorable a meal as we did last year at the location in Fajardo (it's a small chain, 2 or 3 locations on the island).

at the art museum. Food is prepared by the best chef in San Juan, Wilo Benet. It's a cab ride but well worth it. Make reservations.

We were thinking about trying Pikayo for dinner the say we are in San Juan since we are there until 10:00 p.m. Can anyone tell me how far this is from the cruise ship docks?

Thanks

Kim

We love this restaurant and you can see the website for the address.

http://www.eljibaritopr.com/ it is so authentic and family food. Jaime from the El Convento Hotel in Old San Juan.

Our children have dreamed of this food since they left the restaurant.

Check out the site. The rice and beans, the pollo (chicken) stew is soooo good. it is not stew but just letting the flavors melt together in a long time of slow cooking.

Desserts, etc. you name it and their food is great! It is close to El Morro, to the slave gate, pigeon park and castillo. i will post more when we come back after next week as well since we fly in and out of there and it will be fresher in my mind than last year. ENJOY.

There are many reviews of Il Baretto but this is NOT the same. those reviews are not good. THIS PLACE has no equal. This picture has 3 places underlined; the puerto (port) which you can get the trolley FREE right across the street to take you all over Old San Juan, El jibarito and the other is where El Convento Hotel is; very nice. it is up the street from the slave gate. have fun.

SANJUAN.jpg.f735647429122d84e7ff194e1c6b1db6.jpg

I have done tons of work in SJ and have been all over the island. The best place near where you are staying in Isla Verde is Metropol. It's within walking distance right across the street (which is not busy). The best Mufungo unless you are going to Fajardo which is not a short drive.

The walk is about 1.5 city bocks if even. Very safe at night in this area. On nights when the cockfights are going on down the street it can get busy. Typically Sat.

Archived