15% Gratuity

sesquius

And a word of warning for any non-US citizens that venture into a debate with Americans on here about their tipping culture - you will get long lectures about how their way is better than your way! :rolleyes:

Ah yes the American bubble :p What they don't realise is our way is the better way ;)

:confused:

...............I personally don't have an opinion on this, but do invite you to share your views. ...........What do you think?

What do I think, this is what I think.

How can you NOT have an opinion on this, you may not wish to share it with others, but you must have an opinion, even if it is that you are not bothered either way.

What exactly would happen if you crossed out the 15% tip and just signed for the exact cost of the drink every time you got a drink?

Just asking - no flaming!

The thought would never even cross my mind!

I think you would get a very dirty look and all the bartenders would know who you are by the end of the day.

Many years ago (when you could still use cash onboard) tips were not automatically added and many people didn't tip. In some cases it was because they thought it was included, in others because they thought it was done at the end of the cruise, and still others because they chose not to.

Automatically adding tips resolved the problem for the staff. It's not debatable................ Like it or not, the 15% is added. If it displeases you, you’ll need to find another cruise line or vacation provider.

This horse is dead. Let it rest in peace.

What upsets me is the 15% added to anything you use from the mini-bar.

Did not know this! How about the guys that are selling water when you get off the ship?

I guess having the auto tip is a way to get the staff to be more aggressive with sales. I just consider the total to be the cost of the drink. Like the others, I would leave a tip regardless.

I didnt know this either but having said that, I think we only had 2 bottles of water out of it. So how do they justify this charge?

A staff person had to replace those two bottles in your mini-frig.

IMO this should be called a service charge not a gratuity because that is what it is.

Let me preface this with, I'm an American.

When I signed up for MTD, I prepaid my "tips" (service charge) and was told that that covered my "tips" (service charge) for my cruise except the auto tips that will be added to my bar tabs. So, I am assuming here that I don't need to bring a wad of singles to pay out on this vacation.

From what I have been reading here, should I expect the staff who brings me coffee/breakfast in my cabin (during "normal" cruise hours) to have a hand out for a tip or be offended if I don't tip? I wasn't planning on tipping at all since my tips are included ! I mean, if I'm being served my breakfast in my cabin, I'm not being served it in the dining room. I thought these prepaid tips were split all around.

Don't flame me because I expect not to have to pay extra for staff to do their job (I pre-paid my service charge). I understand that there are "big tippers" out there who love to give big tips so they get extra-attentive service, but I'm not one of them. Regular service is fine with me, bring me my food while its still hot, be pleasant, and don't spill stuff on me...these are my expectations. I'm an ex-waitress by the way.

When I signed up for MTD, I prepaid my "tips" (service charge) and was told that that covered my "tips" (service charge) for my cruise except the auto tips that will be added to my bar tabs. So, I am assuming here that I don't need to bring a wad of singles to pay out on this vacation.

From what I have been reading here, should I expect the staff who brings me coffee/breakfast in my cabin (during "normal" cruise hours) to have a hand out for a tip or be offended if I don't tip? I wasn't planning on tipping at all since my tips are included ! I mean, if I'm being served my breakfast in my cabin, I'm not being served it in the dining room. I thought these prepaid tips were split all around.

Don't flame me because I expect not to have to pay extra for staff to do their job (I pre-paid my service charge). I understand that there are "big tippers" out there who love to give big tips so they get extra-attentive service, but I'm not one of them. Regular service is fine with me, bring me my food while its still hot, be pleasant, and don't spill stuff on me...these are my expectations. I'm an ex-waitress by the way.

I think the majority will say they still tip a few dollars for room service but you are correct in believing that if you pre-pay your tips that all this is included, its your choice basically.

Bottom line IMPO is: IT IS WHAT IT IS!! Will this make you stop cruising? I highly doubt it. So suck it up! These people work extremely hard and if you cannot afford the 15% tip, then maybe you shouldn't be cruising :rolleyes: Nothing you can do to change it :D

We have never used room service, so I really don't know this for a fact, but I understand that the person who delivers your food is probably from the kitchen, and is not a regular waiter who would share in the prepaid tips. That person is also not your room steward either. Maybe a tip would be very much appreciated and even needed by this employee.

15% auto-gratuity is a lot by most standards. Yes I do tip for good service but 15% on every drink is too much. At restaurants where people prepare/ cook your food then serve it to you then clean your plates up, deserves the 15% tip. Not the bartender who opened a beer for you.

Except, the people who cook your food don't receive tips, unless the server shares with them. The dishwashers don't receive tips, either, although the busboys/girls will be paid from the server (if they don't, their tables are cleaned real slow ;)).

I have no problem with the 15% tips added to bar tabs, I would tip them anyway, so it just makes it easier for me. Many people object to the added tip line, it's just standard and you can draw a line through it, no big deal. I also do not believe that tipping extra gives you extra service or stronger drinks.

Except, the people who cook your food don't receive tips, unless the server shares with them. The dishwashers don't receive tips, either, although the busboys/girls will be paid from the server (if they don't, their tables are cleaned real slow ;)).

I have no problem with the 15% tips added to bar tabs, I would tip them anyway, so it just makes it easier for me. Many people object to the added tip line, it's just standard and you can draw a line through it, no big deal. I also do not believe that tipping extra gives you extra service or stronger drinks.

If you are looking at a few cocktails, beers etc 15% isnt that big a deal but an expensive bottle of wine,champagne say $200 or $300, then the tip is extensive and they are only popping a cork, less work than mixing a cocktail, I think then I would take off the 15% and add a tip that I think is suitable.

Yes, you should expect that they will expect a tip.

While, whether you do, in fact, tip them is up to you, your prepaid gratuities only covered wait staff and room steward not everyone on the ship which may deserve/expect a tip for services performed.

As a family of three we are due to sail on The Splendour of The Seas on April 10th.We were advised by our travel agent to pay for our gratuities when we paid for the cruise. The total per person was just over £4O each, our son is 14 years. We felt at the time this was a bit steep per person. Now we haven't a clue about tipping the staff. People have told us that they did not pay their gratuities in this way on RCI .I have also been told that the staff are continually looking for tips. On other cruise lines we always tip when we get good service and usually have our favourite waiters.

Can anyone please advice

Theresa

As a family of three we are due to sail on The Splendour of The Seas on April 10th.We were advised by our travel agent to pay for our gratuities when we paid for the cruise. The total per person was just over £4O each, our son is 14 years. We felt at the time this was a bit steep per person. Now we haven't a clue about tipping the staff. People have told us that they did not pay their gratuities in this way on RCI .I have also been told that the staff are continually looking for tips. On other cruise lines we always tip when we get good service and usually have our favourite waiters.

Can anyone please advice

Theresa

I'm assuming you're not doing the My Time Dining as that requires you to prepay your gratuities. In any case, I'm not sure what difference it makes that you have a 14-year old with you. The waitstaff brings him food and refills his drinks etc. like anyone else right?

I also do not believe that tipping extra gives you extra service or stronger drinks.

I'm with you on this one. How do you make a martini stronger? It's like tipping the room steward up front for better service. Never done that and the service has always been excellent.

Now we haven't a clue about tipping the staff. People have told us that they did not pay their gratuities in this way on RCI .I have also been told that the staff are continually looking for tips.

If you've paid your gratuities upfront (cabin steward and dining staff) then the only tips you will pay on board will be a gratuity added to any drinks you buy. If you order room service between midnight and 5 a.m. there will be a service charge. I have never found the staff to be continually looking for tips, just very pleasant, friendly and helpful.

• 1 month later...

MAZANDSTEVE,.... If you are looking at a few cocktails, beers etc 15% isnt that big a deal but an expensive bottle of wine,champagne say $200 or $300, then the tip is extensive and they are only popping a cork, less work than mixing a cocktail, I think then I would take off the 15% and add a tip that I think is suitable.

MAZANDSTEVE,

Are we allowed to do this? My husband likes really expensive wine, and I've been dreading the though of tipping someone $10 on a $70 bottle of wine. $5 would be quite appropriate to cork a bottle of wine. A $30 bottle would give the same amount of work as a $70 and half the tip......

Also, does the wine steward take the bottle from the table, then we have to wait for him to come back and pour for us? I HATE that. I like to the bottle on the table, and will pour my own refill, thanks.

Sally

Why is there an automatic 15% gratuity added to all drinks ordered on the ship? It's an automatic charge whether you are served or you search out the bartender.

Just curious...

Hers something to consider ,the 15% automatic tip goes into the cruise lines coffers for two weeks or a month until it is paid to the staff and crew.It is the same way credit card companies and banks make money they get to play/invest with this money for a period of time.Think how much this will be ,thousand of drinks x thousands of cruisers x thousands of crew.The amount will be staggering.A tip given to the server in cash goes into his/her pocket immediately tax free.No advatage to the cruise lines.

Think how much this will be ,thousand of drinks x thousands of cruisers x thousands of crew.The amount will be staggering./QUOTE]

Not quite as staggering as you make out. It's just a few drinks (maybe 50 -100) X thousands of cruisers. The crew doesn't contribute anything and I don't know about you, but I don't drink thousands of drinks on a cruise.:rolleyes:

Archived