Cabin Steward Tip in a JS

tribefan

Ok, I'm trying to get our tips figured out before we leave this weekend for the Freedom. For the cabin steward tip, I'm getting conflicting info. According to RCCL's website-"suites" are a $5.75pp/per night tip, but when we called them to double check they told me $3.50 pp/per night with a junior suite. I just want to make sure I don't cheat our steward. By the way, we usually ALWAYS tip more then the recommended amounts. Friends who are traveling with us said when they did the Grandure last year and had the tips put right on their bill, it was for only $3.50 per night/pp. Any help will be apprieciated!!!

Ok, I'm trying to get our tips figured out before we leave this weekend for the Freedom. For the cabin steward tip, I'm getting conflicting info. According to RCCL's website-"suites" are a $5.75pp/per night tip, but when we called them to double check they told me $3.50 pp/per night with a junior suite. I just want to make sure I don't cheat our steward. By the way, we usually ALWAYS tip more then the recommended amounts. Friends who are traveling with us said when they did the Grandure last year and had the tips put right on their bill, it was for only $3.50 per night/pp. Any help will be apprieciated!!!

Your info is correct $3.50 pp/per night for a JS and below room steward..$5.75 pp/per night would be for a GS and above....JS's are not considered full suites..Any extra is entirely up to you...You can have your tips included in your final bill.. You will be given this option when onboard....Enjoy!

Ashland, of course, is correct. ;) As is your friend. If you are in a JS and have the tips automatically placed on your SeaPass account, you will see that the total per person per day is $9.75, which is $3.50 for the steward, $3.50 for the waiter, $2.00 for the assistant waiter and 75¢ for the headwaiter.

Thanks for the info, I think I will still do the $5.75 pp if the service is good, if it isn't then they will get the $3.50. Out of all the cruises we have been on, only once did I get the basic amount. I think those guys do one heck of a job for the pay they get.:D

A JS tips the same as any regular cabin.....only GS's and above tip the "suite" amount. So far, we've only had 1 attendant that didn't get a "bonus" on their tip....most of them are great, and we tend to tip between $20-50 over the "suggested" amount.

This may vary between travel agencies, but I wonder what $$ amount is being given when our gratuities are pre-paid by the agency. If we are in a suite, will the agency have paid appropriate rates? I would hate for our stewards to be slighted and we not know about it! What about the concierge? Do you think they will include a tip for him/her? I would not have even thought twice about it had this thread not been started! Thank you!!! I will check with our travel agency now to verify what they do so we are prepared to make up any difference that might be necessary.

On our last JS (Voyager Apr 2009) we tipped the $5.75 per person per day (+ a bit extra for super service)

Cheers... Dean

What you choose to tip is clearly your own business and you were quite generous, but the correct amount suggested as a tip for junior suites is $3.50 per person/ per day. For the purpose of determining gratuity amounts, a junior suite is not considered to be a "suite".:)

I just don't understand why it isn't concidered a suite when they call it a junior suite!!! Wouldn't just be much easier to give it a letter for the top of the line balcony room??? Maybe class A balcony?? Sure would make it much easier when it comes to things like this!!

I just don't understand why it isn't concidered a suite when they call it a junior suite!!! Wouldn't just be much easier to give it a letter for the top of the line balcony room??? Maybe class A balcony?? Sure would make it much easier when it comes to things like this!!

It's just a marketing gimmick. Add the word "Suite" and they can charge more for it.

A rose by any other name would smell as "suite".:D A junior suite is about one and a half times as large as a regular stateroom and has a bathtub instead of a shower. What they call it is really irrelevant. It may cause some initial confusion, as evidenced by the questions about the proper tip amount, but it really isn't much different from Princess' calling some of their staterooms "mini-suites. If determining how much to pay the stateroom attendant if you are in a junior suite or differentiating between a junior suite and a full suite is the most difficult thing you encounter when cruising with Royal Caribbean, consider yourself most fortunate.:)

It's just a marketing gimmick. Add the word "Suite" and they can charge more for it.
Which is very silly, considering that MOST of the staterooms they call suites aren't really suites at all -- not in the true sense of the word. What a cruise ship calls a suite is -- in most cases -- a larger, fancier room.

If you read the brochure, docs and the "instruction sheet" that comes with the tip envelopes, it clearly states which rooms tip which amount...it really shouldn't be a mystery!

Interior through JS tip the normal cabin amount.

Gs's and above tip the suite amount.

Archived