Gold in Venice and Florence

ehogan

We will be in Venice and Florence in April and I am interested in buying some gold jewelry either on the Ponte Vecchio in Florence or the Rialto in Venice for the sentimental value as much as anything else.

Any insight on whether this is worthwhile? i.e. quality, price, hints on good jewellers. Or am I being unrealistic and everything at these locations is a tourist rip off?

First, be warned -- gold in Italy is expensive. Much of the jewelry is 18k, which is higher priced (more gold) than 14k. However, I understand your wish to bring home something to remind you of your trip. Just don't expect any bargains!

That said, workmanship from good jewelers is excellent in Italy. I can't speak for Venice because I haven't been there in a while. But somewhere I have a list of jewelry shops in Florence from a couple of years ago. If you really are interested I can try to look them up and post them. If you are willing to look at some shops that are not on the Ponte Vecchio, you will likely find better deals. Not that the Ponte Vecchio is a rip-off necessarily, it's just that I'm sure it's a high-rent district.

I always try to bring home one really nice piece from each trip...... on our Nov. 07 trip I purchased a beautiful coin pendant from a shop on the Ponte Vecchio. It is not a true coin (as in money) but rather a decorative one. It has an olive branch on one side and St. John on the other (patron saint of Florence) What it really unique is the coin is set in a bezel that will allow the coin to flip over. Hard to describe. Have had so many compliments on it as it is like no other I have seen. Paid roughly $377. USD (245 euros @ $1.45 per euro) - the conversion rate was lousy at that time. Also purchased a beautiful filigree pin for my MIL for Christmas as well as a cameo for sons' girlfriend. Much less $ :D

I truly treasure each piece that I bring home from my travels...... they remind me of my day and are pieces I will pass down to my kids and I will be sure there is the "story" written down for each one.

BTW: on the same trip we bought a stunning gold coin ring for my son. Alexander the Great coin (again decorative) in Corfu Greece. They also have some gorgeous jewelry. Second trip to Europe - another decorative coin pendant from Santorini with Athena on it - love it too.

PS: will try to post pic of storefront (as I do this with each piece) was well as get a business card and a receipt stating what I am getting (ie what karat gold etc etc) - so far my jeweler at home has praised each piece in quality and price. We ALWAYS bargain :)

Edited by texancruzer

Had to chuckle.....we actually bought some really unique gorgeous pieces in Turkey - but in sterling silver :D

We visited Sirince while on our tour in Kusadasi (Ephesus) and there is a small jewelry store there. The owner designed and made all the headpieces, jewelry etc for the movie "Troy" with Brad Pitt. Everything in his store is one of a kind.

We did visit quite a few gold jewelers in the Grand Bazaar but nothing said "buy me" ;) Now Greece - that is another story !!!! Gorgeous stuff !!!!

Edited by texancruzer

A few years back I bought a beautiful cameo on the Ponte Vecchio; I read in someone's thread that you can bargain. I didn't realize you could do that in a store (unlike the Caribbean). I will definitely do this as we are going back on the Century in September. I only wish you didn't have to do the paperwork (Value Added Tax) at the airport when purchasing jewels over there!

A few years back I bought a beautiful cameo on the Ponte Vecchio; I read in someone's thread that you can bargain. I didn't realize you could do that in a store (unlike the Caribbean). I will definitely do this as we are going back on the Century in September. I only wish you didn't have to do the paperwork (Value Added Tax) at the airport when purchasing jewels over there!

You can ALWAYS ask if they can do better on the price. My dh is the master of bargaining (but then he is a lawyer :rolleyes:)

TIP: Remember to allow extra time at the airport for getting your VAT documents stamped. We were running late due to a very long line checking in at Continental in Barcelona and had to run to our gate......thus not getting the necessary "stamp" - costly mistake.

I found a really unique gold ring in Florence. Our tour guide mentioned that there was such a thing as black gold and pointed out the store where we could purchase items. I bought a yellow and black gold ring from there for approx. 350 euros. The store is in the Santa Cruce square to the right of the church. It's on a corner-sorry I can't remember the name,but it's worth a look!! Shelly:)

• 5 years later...

I liked the post texancruzer made about her pendant she bought in florence. The coin that was in a holder that flips. i saw your pictures of the store, do you remember the name of the store?. I would like to purchase a coin pendant like you described.

There are some wonderful artisans on The Ponte Vecchio. I purchased a lovely 18K white gold and diamond bangle bracelet from Callai - a very nice shop. The goldsmith was ancient and he showed me his notebook with his jewelry drawings, including the design for my bracelet. It was less than $3K and well worth it even with the exchange rate. It has subsequently been appraised for more. For best quality look for shops that are more than just resellers and have an actual goldsmith. BTW, always worth it to claim the VAT at the airport. The dollar is so strong now - hopefully even stronger in Sept.!

I liked the post texancruzer made about her pendant she bought in florence. The coin that was in a holder that flips. i saw your pictures of the store, do you remember the name of the store?. I would like to purchase a coin pendant like you described.

Gosh I don't recall the name of the store. I know I had a card but that was 2009 :eek: - we have moved twice since then ;) Sorry.