should we bring Mexican currency with us ??

travelling girl

If you should end up with pesos when you return home, depending upon the amount, you may want to keep the bills/coins as part of your 'memory box'.

If the amount is significant, you can take the pesos to your local bank that has a foreign currency exchange and they will exchange pesos for CDN.

We are anxiously awaiting our first cruise this December to the Mexican Riviera and was wondering if we should take some Mexican Peso's with us ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated !! :)

No, you won't need them. Credit cards are taken everywhere and my wife and I were down there, even the smaller local vendors were happy with payment in US dollars.

We are anxiously awaiting our first cruise this December to the Mexican Riviera and was wondering if we should take some Mexican Peso's with us ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated !! :)

Small American dollars ($1, $5, $10 & $20) work just fine anywhere in Mexico. Sometimes you get a better deal in US dollars. There was one time I had received lots of Pesos as change. I tried to spend it. However, the vendor wanted more in Pesos than the equivalent US dollars. Just make sure you know what the exchange rate is.

Folks, please note that travelling girl is Canadian--so will they accept CDN in Mexico?

You can make your shopping money go farther when in ports by (1) not shopping at the stores the ship's tours take you to and

(2) Go on your own to shops/vendors but not to those nearest the ship. Prices are higher at the vendors you first will encounter when you get off the ship.

Ray Mac.

I don't understand why Canadians buy US dollars to spend in Mexico. Why pay the higher exchange for US currency to spend in Mexico? ATMs are widely available, pesos are easy to acquire in Canada - and it's the local currency.

Nobody would think about going to Germany and using US dollars, they would use Euro - why is it different in Mexico?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived