How is coffee on Princess.

nchank

A friend who sailed on the Dawn Princess several years ago complained that the coffee was terrible. Since I am not much of a coffee drinker I could care less but I am thinking of asking the friend to travel with me on Princess. But before I ask I would like to have an honest appraisal of the coffee first.

Thank you.

A friend who sailed on the Dawn Princess several years ago complained that the coffee was terrible. Since I am not much of a coffee drinker I could care less but I am thinking of asking the friend to travel with me on Princess. But before I ask I would like to have an honest appraisal of the coffee first.

Thank you.

Hello nchank...

The answer to your question is truly a matter of opinion. The basic coffee on board a Princess ship is made from a coffee-concentrate syrup... thus many people enjoy it every day, while others find it dreadful.

Your friend could easily purchase a Coffee Card once on board. With tax it costs $27. You get 15 specialty coffees (they punch the card each time you use it). You also get unlimited BREWED coffee which is different from the syrup based coffee. Nothing tastes better than a fresh brewed!

Aboard the Emerald last April, we bought a coffee card so that the lovely Mrs could enjoy her foamy, frothy coffees. I'd grab a fresh brewed cup when I'd get her specialty coffee (free with the card, so long as you have one unpunched specialty coffee). I didn't mind the coffee in the HC and would have a cup (or two) with breakfast.

If you are a coffee lover, then it's pretty terrible on most cruiselines I think. I'm not much for the syrup coffee, however, as stated above, you can get the coffee punch card for a fee and then you can have normal brewed coffee bean coffee :)

The last few posts sum it up well. Some people like the basic coffee from syrup, some do not. The only way to know iis to try a cup. If it's to your [friend's] liking, end of story. If not, then the cffee card is a great alternative.

Personally, FWIW and that isn't much :D, I can't drink the concentrate-made stuff.

Shalom, Andy.

Granted, I'm not much of a coffee drinker (I'd rather have my coffee blended into a frappacino! :p), but I do find the main dining room coffee to be better than the Horizon Court's. It's probably the same syrup stuff... so go figure. :rolleyes:

One word to describe the regular coffee served 24/7 on Princess.

DISGUSTING!

:D:D

Our friends (who are coffee drinkers) that traveled with us 2/7-2/14 on the Emerald were intrigued with the coffee. We observed that the coffee in Sabatini's had a slimy foam on top almost like it was made with salt water and they said it tasted horrible while the coffee they were served in the Crown Grill was some of the best they had ever tasted.

Go figure.

Mike:)

One word to describe the regular coffee served 24/7 on Princess.

DISGUSTING!

See this just goes to show how opinions differ :)

TT2K lives just 9 miles from where I used to live for 30 years (unless she got blown down the road in that last tornado), but I find the spigot coffee to be just fine.

Regarding the coffee card, be sure to pick up one of the cruise coupon books that are at the terminal (there will be stacks of them). On our two cruises, there was a coupon in the books for 2 for 1 coffee cards :D

Have a good cruise.

symo

It seems hit and miss. Most of the time, I find the coffee do-able. However at the Horizon Court, I have a feeling that they may not empty out the old coffee that's been sitting in the urn from the last cruise:eek: ...they just keep adding to it. I only hope they clean them out once in awhile.

... Regarding the coffee card, be sure to pick up one of the cruise coupon books that are at the terminal (there will be stacks of them). On our two cruises, there was a coupon in the books for 2 for 1 coffee cards :D Have a good cruise. symo

Interesting...

The Princess Passport to Value book of coupons is usually waiting in your room when you first arrive onboard... and has very few coupons of value.

The Princess Shipwide Savings Coupons Booklet is usually a perk supplied to lucky cruisers by their travel agent. It does have coupons of some value... you can often find it being sold on EBay for approximately $25.

I've never seen the Shipwide Savings Coupons booklet offered at Port Everglades / Ft. Lauderdale. Which terminal are you cruising from, Symo? I'm surprised that folks don't take a handful from the "stacks" of coupon books, and re-sell them on EBay?

Interesting...

The Princess Passport to Value book of coupons is usually waiting in your room when you first arrive onboard... and has very few coupons of value.

The Princess Shipwide Savings Coupons Booklet is usually a perk supplied to lucky cruisers by their travel agent. It does have coupons of some value... you can often find it being sold on EBay for approximately $25.

I've never seen the Shipwide Savings Coupons booklet offered at Port Everglades / Ft. Lauderdale. Which terminal are you cruising from, Symo? I'm surprised that folks don't take a handful from the "stacks" of coupon books, and re-sell them on EBay?

Seattle both times. Big folding table with stacks just as you head out the door to go up the gangway. Books were like 6" wide X 8" tall X 1" thick.

Interesting point though WRT taking stacks of them... there were a couple of Princess folks milling around close to the table (maybe to control it). I just never really thought much past making Mrs. symo walk about 15 feet in front of me so it would look like we weren't together when we snagged our "two" :eek:

===== FLASH - FLASH - FLASH =====

As I was typing this, redlac got me to thinking (sure, I'm a man, but I've thought a couple of times before :rolleyes:)... err doubting myself, so I called Mrs. symo and sure enough, it was the Shipwide Savings booklet in the bon voyage envelope from our agent that had the coffee card 2 for 1.

Sorry everyone :o

But I'd still pick up the terminal books... I got 4 or 5 really neat coupons out of it. Alaska trips (great rain suit, neat flashlight, good wool stocking cap and some other good stuff). And I still like the coffee at the HC :D

symo

Thank you.

It's bad enough that I switch to tea for the duration of the cruise. :( There's a nice selection of all sorts of teas at the beverage stations.

Seattle both times. Big folding table with stacks just as you head out the door to go up the gangway. Books were like 6" wide X 8" tall X 1" thick.

Interesting point though WRT taking stacks of them... there were a couple of Princess folks milling around close to the table (maybe to control it). I just never really thought much past making Mrs. symo walk about 15 feet in front of me so it would look like we weren't together when we snagged our "two" :eek:

===== FLASH - FLASH - FLASH =====

As I was typing this, redlac got me to thinking (sure, I'm a man, but I've thought a couple of times before :rolleyes:)... err doubting myself, so I called Mrs. symo and sure enough, it was the Shipwide Savings booklet in the bon voyage envelope from our agent that had the coffee card 2 for 1.

Sorry everyone :o

But I'd still pick up the terminal books... I got 4 or 5 really neat coupons out of it. Alaska trips (great rain suit, neat flashlight, good wool stocking cap and some other good stuff). And I still like the coffee at the HC :D

symo

High five to you for your clear response, symo! It appears that when she married you, Missus Symo made a fine-dang-fine choice!!

(In respect for your courtesy with your honest response, I will try... <<<REALLY TRY>>> to not comment on your FLASHING us in your message. *chuckle*

I'd eat bugs to receive a Shipwide Savings Coupon booklet... I love the special coffee's.

Hello nchank...

The answer to your question is truly a matter of opinion. The basic coffee on board a Princess ship is made from a coffee-concentrate syrup... thus many people enjoy it every day, while others find it dreadful.

Your friend could easily purchase a Coffee Card once on board. With tax it costs $27. You get 15 specialty coffees (they punch the card each time you use it). You also get unlimited BREWED coffee which is different from the syrup based coffee. Nothing tastes better than a fresh brewed!

and if you don't use the specialty coffee's up on the cruise, you can bring it back on the next cruise to use for brewed coffee.

Archived