Captain? Cruise Directors? Hotel Managers?

Kween Karen

• 5 years later...

2cents.gifworth here....

I've seen these posts where people ask who the Captain, Hotel Manager, and/or Cruise Director are on a specific ship, and always thought "what difference does it really make?".

Well on 2 recent Holland America cruises (i.e. Veendam (VoV) in 2013 and Oosterdam (36 nights Auckland to Vancouver) in 2015) I had an occasion to talk to each ship's Hotel Manager. The Hotel Manager on the Oosterdam was much more "passenger focused" and much more eager to do something to actually solve the problem. In addition, I mentioned to the Hotel Manager on the Oosterdam that it seemed to me that the employee morale, attitude, and service (overall; but especially in the Lido) was far superior to what I experienced on the Veendam in 2013. She thanked me for the compliment and mentioned that she tries to maintain high morale/exceptional service in part by paying the employees as much as possible. She diverts as much discretionary money as feasible into the pool of money that goes to the employees, etc. Apparently not all Hotel Managers do this.

Just sayin': I guess a good Hotel Manager can make a difference.

:)

2cents.gifworth here....

I've seen these posts where people ask who the Captain, Hotel Manager, and/or Cruise Director are on a specific ship, and always thought "what difference does it really make?".

Well on 2 recent Holland America cruises (i.e. Veendam (VoV) in 2013 and Oosterdam (36 nights Auckland to Vancouver) in 2015) I had an occasion to talk to each ship's Hotel Manager. The Hotel Manager on the Oosterdam was much more "passenger focused" and much more eager to do something to actually solve the problem. In addition, I mentioned to the Hotel Manager on the Oosterdam that it seemed to me that the employee morale, attitude, and service (overall; but especially in the Lido) was far superior to what I experienced on the Veendam in 2013. She thanked me for the compliment and mentioned that she tries to maintain high morale/exceptional service in part by paying the employees as much as possible. She diverts as much discretionary money as feasible into the pool of money that goes to the employees, etc. Apparently not all Hotel Managers do this.

Just sayin': I guess a good Hotel Manager can make a difference.

Most Definitely, we learned this many years ago and it is always a pleasure to see the big grin on a Crew's face when we mention a Hotel Manager we are friends with and that they love working on their ship. Some of them go out of their way to make sure the crew enjoys working on that ship.

Oosterdam, in 2015, has a female Hotel Director? Nice to hear that. What's her name?

I'm guessing Jessica Schumann. Excellent hotel director, very hands-on, very team-oriented, very personable. She was our hotel director on Oosterdam last September/October 2014, Seattle to Sydney.

This thread makes me smile. We are the strange ones and could care less who is the Captain, Dining Room Manager, CD, etc. On the other hand, we do care about the chef!

Hank

We did care when we got on the Westerdam. After all, we were the Sail a Way Gang and we had the RIGHT captain and the RIGHt Hotel Manager.

It made a BIG difference because the sail a way gang wanted tooting.

And they were well taken care of thanks to our HD and our CD, so each to their own :)

For those of us that do invites for meet and greets and thank you cards, it's helpful to know in advance.

Oosterdam, in 2015, has a female Hotel Director? Nice to hear that. What's her name?

I'm guessing Jessica Schumann. Excellent hotel director, very hands-on, very team-oriented, very personable. She was our hotel director on Oosterdam last September/October 2014, Seattle to Sydney.

That's her.

bdeck-jess-schumann.jpg

Edited by ScriptOhio

We did care when we got on the Westerdam. After all, we were the Sail a Way Gang and we had the RIGHT captain and the RIGHt Hotel Manager.

And they were well taken care of thanks to our HD and our CD, so each to their own :)

For those of us that do invites for meet and greets and thank you cards, it's helpful to know in advance.[/QUOTE]

I bolded Jackie's last sentence because I second this.. Inviting the Capt. HD & CD in writing & then thanking them later for their hospitality (In writing) helps to gain their respect for the CC groups & is the proper way to handle the Meet & Greet's..

This thread makes me smile. We are the strange ones and could care less who is the Captain, Dining Room Manager, CD, etc. On the other hand, we do care about the chef!

Hank

Just sayin': Jessica's husband (Thomas Schumann) was the Executive Chef:

bdeck-thomas-schumann.jpg

Thanks for the info and photo of Hotel Director Schumann.

Around 2006 or so, there was an excellent Exec Chef Robert Schumann...... not the Chef Shumann pictured here. I wonder if he is still with HAL? I realize that is a rather common name. :)

Edited by sail7seas

For those of us that do invites for meet and greets and thank you cards, it's helpful to know in advance.[/QUOTE]

I bolded Jackie's last sentence because I second this.. Inviting the Capt. HD & CD in writing & then thanking them later for their hospitality (In writing) helps to gain their respect for the CC groups & is the proper way to handle the Meet & Greet's..

Betty, I was stunned as I reported on my live thread when I got calls thanking me for my thank you cards.:eek:

I've never seen that before so either a) they don't get thank you cards or b) they really appreciated it.

For me, it's common courtesy. They did a great job for us at the meet and greet and yes, I always send them the same invites that the roll call gets (and there is always a thank you at the bottom for HAl providing the lovely venue).

The thank you's were so deserved on our Westerdam cruise :)

It was a definite must :) for both meet and greets :)

Edited by kazu

I so agree and am happy to see someone posted it here.

I always send written thank you notes after a hosted Officer's Table dinner; a special treat we have enjoyed; a courtesy extended to us. It amazes me how many people seem to bypass that simple function of manners and courtesy. So simple but can mean so much.

Thanks for the info and photo of Hotel Director Schumann.

Around 2006 or so, there was an excellent Exec Chef Robert Schumann...... not the Chef Shumann pictured here. I wonder if he is still with HAL? I realize that is a rather common name. :)

I really don't think so; but I guess it is possible that this site (below) could have listed an incorrect picture of him. However, I was just on the Oosterdam (5 Apr - 10 May) and besides Jessica Schumann, the pictures of the Guest Relations Manager and Beverage Manager are definitely correct. I had a different Cruise Director (i.e. Rick Barnes) though.

http://www.flightcentre.com.au/travel-news/inspiration/cruise/cruise-crew-member-stories/

I have searched and searched for the thread where Copper knows all and can tell us who the officers will be on specific cruises. SIGH.....I have to start a new one.

Copper.....can you tell me who the cruise director, captain and hotel manager will be for the Amsterdam 14 day Alaska Adventures sailings this summer will be? Specifically the June 28th sailing?

Hi, Karen, remember me Lorna & Gary doing Debbie's sing along, we were sitting behind the piano with aussies...

I believe Capt. will be Eversen, HM, Ralph Corcoran and CD Gene, but not 100% sure...