Caribe Hilton or Wyndham Condado?

mttk2

We stayed at the Caribe Hilton and loved it. Swimming Pools and bay swiming. Ate where the locals ate. Got it on Priceling for $85. Booked another hotel that we were able to cancel early because the price on priceline did not drop till about 2-3 weeks out then went down big time.

Jeff

Stayed at the Caribe Hilton and enjoyed the hotel and grounds. Had posted on the meet and mingle board and found that several of our cruise critic registrants were also staying there - enjoyed a very nice evening in the bar prior to the cruise - we all traveled to dock together - nice way to start our a trip.

Hello....We have stayed at the Caribe Hilton several times and love it. However, do not stay in any of their Garden rooms. Those are terrible. The rooms are like a low budget slum hotel room. Tell them you want to stay in a tower room. Those rooms are superb. They gave us a tower room upgrade at no extra charge when we asked for it.

We did notice a new Embassy Suites hotel much closer to the airport that we might try the next time, however, tough to beat the Caribe Hilton with its great view, outside pool bar, mini beach area and wonderful entertainment and restuarants.

Dave

While we have not been to these specific hotels, we have had two very negative experiences at other Wyndham resorts (Bermuda and Telluride, CO), and based on those would not stay at or recommend to anyone to stay at a Wyndham again.

I would also say the Caribe is very nice, especially the grounds. We stayed in the garden view pre- cruise and the tower post-cruise and I would agree that the garden view rooms were badly in need of repair. Tower rooms were much nicer. Restaraunts are very expensive here but there are 2 little local places across the street to do breakfast/lunch.

We spent 4 nights at the Wyndham Condado pre cruise last year. We noticed that every time we left the doors did not latch tight, and we had to keep going back to make sure. A couple of times coming back from the pool, we were able to push the door open without the key. The morning we checked out, the couple across the hall were robbed during the night!!! They were sure that they had locked the door, but it seems like the most likely cause. They were fine, but had lost their tickets and money. I would NEVER stay there again. Post cruise we were at the Marriott and enjoyed that more, even beside the obvious.

We were in San Juan on a pre-cruise last week and this time we stayed at the Sheraton Old San Juan. We had previously stayed at the Caribe Hilton and loved it and the grounds but it is such fun to be in Old San Juan and walk around the town. Found an excellent place for dinner call "AL Dente". I highly recommend it but it is quite small. Can walk from the Sheraton. Good luck. You cannot go wrong. Plus you are very near the port.

We stayed at the Caribe on January 7-9 before our cruise a few weeks ago. It was our second stay there. Staff is pleasant and we would recommend the tower rooms. The grounds are beautiful. Embassy Suites have zero appeal as regards the location other that it is close to the airport. If you are looking for local food and have an extra day to spend in Old San Juan, try El Jibarito on Calle del Sol....EXCELLENT....ask for Angel. We have eaten there 3 times in the last couple of years....not too expensive and the food is great. It is not a fancy place either...just a nice local type restaurant. Enjoy....

We stayed at the Wyndham Condado Plaza when we went on the Constellation in December. I joined the Wyndham by request program (it's free and on the Wyndham site) and when we arrived there was a split of Merlot, a good sized round of Edam cheese, crackers and some fruit. They also put us on a club floor. We had no trouble at all with the doors closing and locking. My dad was given an oceanfront room at no extra charge because the club floor was full and he's a Wyndham member too. The Wyndham that is now a Sheraton, (Across from the cruise ships) I guess was awful, but this one was great I thought.

Katie

We stayed at the Sheraton Old San Juan 2 weeks ago precruise. It was very nice. When we arrived they did not have a nonsmoking room available for us. There was some large festival going on in Old San Juan for that weekend. Anyway, when we stated that we did not want a smoking room they upgraded us to a hugh suite on the top floor for no extra money. The room had a wrap around balcony on it looking out over the piers and Old San Juan. It was wonderful. The staff was very nice and helpful. I would recommend this hotel.

Archived