Upgrade Fairy Lives.........

AuntieBarb

I think so many people are making this same incorrect assumption. They think by calling and getting some discounted upgrade they are beating the "upsell fairy" at her own game. I guess self delusion is a wonderful thing to some people.

The two upsells I received were from AF mini suites to AC Penthouse suites. I paid $400 for one and $450 for the other' date=' and that was total not each person. I have also upgrades from an AF to an AC for $700 total which is a damn good price, but not an "upsell".[/b']

PE

So it looks like your "upsells" are around 20% of the normal difference and your "upgrade" is about 30%. Tell us exactly how you came about this "upgrade" as I haven't heard about this process with NCL. Do they call you? Do you call them? To he** with the upsells, I want one of those 30% upgrades!!

It's also interesting that most of the advice to people asking what to expect for the average upsell is about 50%. So we have a new standard now. If the infamous "upsell fairy" calls and offers you 30% of the difference, you aren't getting a real upsell??? And if they offer you 50% you should feel really insulted??

It's also interesting that most of the advice to people asking what to expect for the average upsell is about 50%. So we have a new standard now. If the infamous "upsell fairy" calls and offers you 30% of the difference, you aren't getting a real upsell??? And if they offer you 50% you should feel really insulted??

sheepholy.gif

If you wait for them to call and lucky enough to be called, you're getting the fantastic offers we all covet as they work at closing out reassignments before sailing.

If you call to initiate a deal, you're getting just that...a deal.

If you want to keep on believing otherwise, all I can say is GOOD LUCK WITH THAT! :D

sheepholy.gif

If you wait for them to call and lucky enough to be called, you're getting the fantastic offers we all covet as they work at closing out reassignments before sailing.

If you want to keep on believing otherwise, all I can say is GOOD LUCK WITH THAT! :D

It's hardly worth the effort, Barb.

PE

images.jpg.230a4b437177bd4a6b229e0f06d01dbb.jpg

sheepholy.gif

So Barb, what would you recommend to all the CruiseCritic members out there that have booked a cruise with NCL: wait for a call and maybe get a 20% upsell (fantastic offer that we all covet) or call and maybe get a 30% deal?

So Barb, what would you recommend to all the CruiseCritic members out there that have booked a cruise with NCL: wait for a call and maybe get a 20% upsell (fantastic offer that we all covet) or call and maybe get a 30% deal?

I would suggest what all cruisers should do:

> Book the stateroom category you will be happy with; be satisfied with what you book.

> Don't harass the reassignment desk to negotiate a deal. Their stance is "Don't call us; we'll call you".

> Don't look a "gift horse" in the mouth either. If the Upsell Fairy does call you with a special deal you can afford for a stateroom you'd enjoy having, take it!

> Otherwise, sit back, relax and look forward to your cruise. :)

Well, I feel left out. We've booked our 4th NCL cruise and have never been called. Can't believe those ships were all booked to capacity. Maybe I should use Dial. ;)

Booked to capacity is based upon passenger head count; not number of staterooms. The higher category staterooms may have all been booked as well. Lots of variables.

In any respect, it doesn't guarantee YOU in particular will be called. We've only received an offer 4 times.

Well, I feel left out. We've booked our 4th NCL cruise and have never been called. Can't believe those ships were all booked to capacity. Maybe I should use Dial. ;)

Hey, do not feel bad at all. I am heading out on my 29th...never got a call an upsell call from the fairy either. I did call back in 2005 to upgrade to a suite when I saw the prices drop though. Since then, I have called once with a no-can-do answer. Second time calling was 4:40pm today and left a message after reading this thread. I am with AuntieBarb...be happy with the original cabin which I am. I will add another: Be happy for all those who get sprinkled with fairy dust whether it be their first cruise with NCL or their 100th...

coka

There are lots of us that have never received an upsell call. But I book what I will be happy with so no worries....one day my ship will come in, LOL.

Same here Peg. Never an upsell call but always happy where I started.:)

My "beat the upsell fairy" was not targeted at you. You stated you bought an upgrade for a good price. I was merely showing the difference between and upgrade and an upsell to a different poster on this thread who continues to portray herself as the authority on upsells. You contact them and get an upgrade for a given price and they contact you for an upsell for an even better price.

Now if you feel I was being insulting by calling someone (Not you) self delusional then that is your opinion. Feel free to ungird your loin.;)

PE

Still waiting to find out how you got your $700 "upgrade".

I would suggest what all cruisers should do:

> Book the stateroom category you will be happy with; be satisfied with what you book.

> Don't harass the reassignment desk to negotiate a deal. Their stance is "Don't call us; we'll call you".

> Don't look a "gift horse" in the mouth either. If the Upsell Fairy does call you with a special deal you can afford for a stateroom you'd enjoy having, take it!

> Otherwise, sit back, relax and look forward to your cruise. :)

Are you telling CruiseCritic readers that you shouldn't call and harass but you can call and ask nicely if an upsell is available like rusticfurnituremaker did?? Or are you saying don't call period?

On 4 of our last 5 cruises we have had "upsells/upgrades" we did get the call two times and the other two times our cruise friends worked out deals that included us, like the Garden Villa, we went from a BB to a AC to the Villa, all for under $3000 per couple total, or $800 per couple for a upgrade to the Villa from a BB. Questions??

Holy Moly people mean business!

I remember being around a few years ago when things hit the fan because the desk was being pelted with calls by CC'ers. Some of them began way in advance and would keep up a nearly daily harangue.

Time has passed and things have obviously quieted down as some report getting through, asking nicely, etc. There is certainly a difference between the incredible deals last minute that seem to come when the upsell fairy initiates the call and the also good deals that some are able to work out for themselves in the form of an upgrade by initiating the call. It gets even more confusing when you add "free upgrade" to the "negotiated upgrade" and "upsell mix."

It seems that everyone reports they were "very nice" when they called. I don't remember years ago that people ever reported they were obnoxious or demanding when they called, either. It was just the sheer volume and frequency of calls or calling way too far in advance that seemed to lead to the "Don't call us" policy.

It would be a shame to stir up the pot and see the desk again deluged with calls so hopefully those who read this thread will be respectful of the system NCL set up and utilizes. After all it's not we CC'ers who get to set the rules.

I've even seen people come on here all PO'd because NCL said they'd have to go through their TA and have insisted that NCL deal directly with them right then on the phone.:eek:

Let's at least be honest with each other. There isn't a poster on this thread (or CC in general for that matter) that wouldn't react the exact same way given the same circumstance. If you were booked on an NCL cruise in a cabin that you were happy with and your friends that booked with you called you and said "hey, here's a phone number for you to call like we did and you can get "up whatever you want to call it" to a suite for only $400 more total" that you wouldn't call that number and get the deal.

That's why were happy for those that post that kind of experience and get those kinds of deals. Whether we call it an upsell, an upgrade, a deal or whatever and whether its as good as or equal to a true upsell doesn't matter. The fact is that someone for some reason called and a good thing happened to them. There's a thread going on the RCCL board about what is the purpose of Cruise Critic. I would submit that one of the purposes is to pass along information to members that can benefit them. How can your commend someone for calling and getting a good deal and then tell everyone else that they shouldn't do it. It's not our/your job to determine that. It's NCL's. In the end they are the only ones who can determine whether they want that to happen or not. If it gets out of hand, they will simply stop taking phone calls.

I booked a last minute cruise on a monday morning for a friday cruise. Only inside cabins were for sale.

I was very happy to have the know how through these boards to call "the fairies".

Even though there were no upsells to be had at that time. I was still lucky enough to get an upgrade to an O/V for free on day 8 the return leg of a 14 day B2B thanks to what I learned on C.C.

Thanks to the members of C.C. and the NCL Upsell fairy.

I have enjoyed watching this thread for the past couple of days and trying to decide for myself whether to call the "reassignment desk" myself. I decided to take the number I "hawked" off of a google search and try it for myself as I have an upcoming (4/24) cruise on the Pearl. I received an answering machine and left my name and number along with my confirmation number. As of yet, (8 hours later), I have not received a return phone call. I am currently booked in a BB balcony and have noticed that there are at least 15 available mini-suites. I thought it would be worth the call to see what price they could offer me to move up just a bit. I'll try again tomorrow and for the next couple of day and let you all know how it turns out.

The assistant manager of a hotel I frequent in Montreal asked me once why I do not write reviews about his hotel. I told him if I tell everyone on the internet, a time would come where I could not get a room because the sweet gem of his hotel would always be booked. He replied he never thought of it that way.

coka

Just got off the phone with the reassignment desk. This was my experience. I spoke to Patricia, who is assigned the Pearl. She was willing to talk to me, but wasn't what I would call "overly nice". I gave her my reservation # and told her that I had noticed online that there were over 15 minisuites still showing available. She shuffled some paperwork in the background asked for my reservation number again. Told me what the online going rate was, which was the non-latitudes price. Then she told me it would be $300 total. Which was only $100 less what I could get it for as a latitudes member if I were booking today. I kindly thanked her, but told her I would pass. I was hoping for about $150. This was the dollar amount I had in my mind knowing the amount of minisuites still available and the fact we are 8 days from sailing.

So there you go. You can call, they will speak to you, but as least in my experience, no "bargain" was offered. Would I call again, sure, once, 2 weeks or less out, and see what is available.

Just got off the phone with the reassignment desk. This was my experience. I spoke to Patricia, who is assigned the Pearl. She was willing to talk to me, but wasn't what I would call "overly nice". I gave her my reservation # and told her that I had noticed online that there were over 15 minisuites still showing available. She shuffled some paperwork in the background asked for my reservation number again. Told me what the online going rate was, which was the non-latitudes price. Then she told me it would be $300 total. Which was only $100 less what I could get it for as a latitudes member if I were booking today. I kindly thanked her, but told her I would pass. I was hoping for about $150. This was the dollar amount I had in my mind knowing the amount of minisuites still available and the fact we are 8 days from sailing.

So there you go. You can call, they will speak to you, but as least in my experience, no "bargain" was offered. Would I call again, sure, once, 2 weeks or less out, and see what is available.

Thank you for passing on your experience.

PE

Thanks for posting this. We're happy with our mini-suite and won't call, but it's interesting to know how they deal with callers :)

Archived