Why is Hotwire so much cheaper?

Pumbaamd

We are staying 3 nights pre-cruise in Miami. Would like to rent a car for that time. Our research shows Hotwire has the cheaper deals, by far. What are we missing? Hidden charges later? They advertise they use only the top rental car companies. What are we missing? Anyone here use Hotwire for car rentals?

Rick and Deirdra

I use them all the time - be sure you are comparing apple to apples (final total cost is all you care about). They are selling excess inventory and you don't get to choose your rental company - usually Hertz or National in my experience. Check with your own insurance coverage - you probably do not need to buy additional, over priced coverage from the car company.:mad: Good luck!:)

We've used Hotwire to rent cars many times. Never a problem. If you're renting in a city served by Southwest, check out the rates on the SW site (whether you're flying them or not). The SW rates are often comparable to Hotwire's and are refundable, whereas the HW rez is not. If you do rent from the SW site, check and recheck their rates up to the date you rent. You can often get a lower rate at the last minute.

I have been trying to find this information out for quite sometime, and couldn't seem to get a straight answer. So i went ahead and called each of the "major" car rental companies at the Miami airport. Here is what i found regarding shuttle service to/from POM and MIA:

Hertz - Yes

Thrifty - Yes

Dollar - Yes

National - No

Avis - No

Alamo - No

Enterprise - No

Budget - No

Some of these companies "used to" offer shuttle service between Mia and POM.

This list was comprised on March 5, 2010.

congrats on the hotwire deal.

I wanted to to try hotwire, b/c hertz was 78 /day for compact car, and thrifty/dollar was 44/ day.

Hotwire was 22/ day, but i must have shuttle service, so i couldnt chance getting booked with anyone besides hertz.

hope this helps

Just talked to Alamo. They will run a shuttle from offsite MIA location to POM until May 11, 2010. This was the 1800 number. Couldn't get through to the MIA office. Seems to be different answers depending who you talk to.

Archived