Pantyhose making a comeback?

mistyinca

Proof postive that even "not" all young women can get away with the no-pantyhose look!:eek::D This is wrong on so many levels...starting with those awful shoes...:rolleyes: So with my older, chunky, veined legs, I shall continue to wear pantyhose.;):D

fa5c_3.JPG

True story!:D

Drew is in the Honor Guard and does several funerals each week...

He came home a few days ago and was telling me about the service...he noticed one of the "mourners" came in with her "shorts and heels" on!:D I asked him if they were capris and little kitten heel shoes....he knows the styles I am talking about.....NO! These were regular shorts and heels....Now my question is should she have worn hosiery with this outfit since she was in a Church at a funeral?:D I know it's Florida and casual, but I could only think how disrespectful can someone be?:confused: I guess sometimes there is just no accounting for taste or lack thereof.

Hopefully most of the "mourners" were concentrating on the service and supporting the family of the deceased, not critiquing other people's outfits.

No, I don't think that pantyhose should ever be worn with shorts.

Hopefully most of the "mourners" were concentrating on the service and supporting the family of the deceased, not critiquing other people's outfits.

Don't let Richard Simmons hear you say that.:p:D

Just a curious question about pantyhose colors -- for those who say they wouldn't subject anyone to their pale, white legs so they wear nude or colored hose........isn't the rest of your body (e.g., arms, shoulders, chest) also pale? I would think it would look odd to dress up with hose that make your legs a different color from the rest of you. Sort of like those who wear foundation that's four shades darker than their natural skin tone and don't try to "blend it" into their neckline.

My arms and legs are the same basic background color, but my arms do not have red and blue veins showing, as they have not been supporting me for almost seventy years. Pantihose the same color as my arms provide a look that pleases me. Since almost no one else will be looking at my legs when I wear a dress, I plan to continue wearing hose with any dress or skirt shorter than ankle length.

If it is a fashion mistake, too bad! Turn me in to "What Not To Wear!" I could use the new clothes and the trip to New York...

Well since Drew wasn't there as a "mourner" but "volunteering" services for Military honors....standing at the front of the Church, you can't help but see some of these things when they walk in.

As far as critiquing or criticizing, I'm sure most people would have noticed the outfit. If you note, this was a little story told with a bit of humor to it....however, I must say that I have noticed that even the Fashion forum is getting nasty and even a little "catty" lately.. Such a shame....

Well since Drew wasn't there as a "mourner" but "volunteering" services for Military honors....standing at the front of the Church' date=' you can't help but see some of these things when they walk in. [/color']

As far as critiquing or criticizing, I'm sure most people would have noticed the outfit. If you note, this was a little story told with a bit of humor to it....however, I must say that I have noticed that even the Fashion forum is getting nasty and even a little "catty" lately.. Such a shame....

They would have. My grandmother died recently and at her funeral, we all wore church clothes. My cousin's wife didn't. I would attribute it to her age since she's 19, but if my cousin was wearing church clothes, why was she and her son not? It was disrespectful to me because it seemed like it wasn't that important to her to get dressed up.

Yes, people are mourning, but there is a time and place for everything, and to wear everything.

Oh goodness! I also remember garter belts! I spent all my time trying to keep the thing from falling around my knees!

I also no longer wear pantyhose. If I wear a dress, it's in summer and I don't need stockings. This is why I don't do cruises with formal nights.

tothemall&beyond, that was your opinion, right?....just your opinion?

IMO, I understand that nude pantyhose are out of style, right now, if they are plain sheers, but there are textured (like subtle fishnets) pale beige pantyhose that are not out. Also, a sheer pale gray is an option and various shades of sheer taupe are still in...and these are all lighter than black and are not opaque.

Yes, it was IMO. But also that of Charla Krupp (author "How Not to Look Old"), Tim Gunn, Stacy London & Clinton Kelly (hosts "What Not to Wear"), just about every editor of almost every fashion and other women's magazines, all of whom say "no" to any pale, nude, sheer hose including gray, taupe and beige.

But, granted this is not a major life issue. So a woman should do whatever makes her happy and comfortable. :)

If I have on a short dress, I always wear pantyhose because they make my legs look better. It's really what one feels comfortable with and I don't particularly care if they are in fashion or not, it's a personal choice. :D

To me I always wear pantyhose on formal occasions. I don't feel fully dressed unless I do(upbringing). Then again I take formal night for what it is "formal night". I love dressing up in my beautiful gowns/dresses other than weddings But to me, not wearing pantyhose on formal night- it distracts me from the pretty gown/dress you are wearing. For me its not a good look if you don't wear them: PLEASE !maintain, (shave and moisturize them, and translucent powder will tone town your stark white legs(theater trick) or self tan. I have stark white legs and that's the other reason I wear pantyhose. Even at weddings I see this.

then again this is my opinion and , hey its your choice to wear or not wear them. I just don't think its a good look for formal night.

Alrana

I saw someone who is fairly young (40s) that was wearing nude colored hose and a slip under a dress. I couldn't help but think how "old" she looked. The particular dress was kind of casual and I think this person would have looked great without the hose.

On another note, I saw a pic of Kate Middleton wearing nude hose and she didn't look that bad. However, she was dressed more formal than the previous lady.

I can't stand hose, but I can see where they are OK (IMO) in certain situations.

In defense of my earlier post, I was referring to what my wife wears out of the house, to a nice dinner or a show, not at home. Simply put, she wears stockings to keep warm when it's cold, and goes barelegged when it's warm. But that's only because she feels comfortable enough to do so. In summation, in my opinion, if you can pull off no pantyhose and you feel comfortable doing so, I say go for it. If you don't feel comfortable without them, wear them. Then everybody is comfortable, and everybody is happy.

You make too much sense...nobody wants to hear that, esp. on this board..LOL

To the people who continue to mock those who wear pantyhose..no matter what they have on proper or improper...why do you even care? Don't you have bigger fish to fry?? The other poster was right..who cares..

In defense of my earlier post, I was referring to what my wife wears out of the house, to a nice dinner or a show, not at home. Simply put, she wears stockings to keep warm when it's cold, and goes barelegged when it's warm. But that's only because she feels comfortable enough to do so. In summation, in my opinion, if you can pull off no pantyhose and you feel comfortable doing so, I say go for it. If you don't feel comfortable without them, wear them. Then everybody is comfortable, and everybody is happy.

You make too much sense...nobody wants to hear that, esp. on this board..LOL....................

Well sure, but did you read his other post?

If you had posted this the first time, there would be no need for a defense. No one needed to hear the details of exactly what your wife wears and your predilection for it. Also, I'm pretty sure most woman know if they need tummy control and where to buy pantyhose.;) :) Again, the other post was just TMI.

Seeing everyone rips apart those who choose to wear hose as having no fashion sense, looking old, etc..someone should start a thread about the fashion mistakes those criticizing hose wearers make: they could include things like plus size women wearing two piece bathing suits, women who ruin the look of a quality business suit by not wearing hose, women who wear the wrong size bra, women who wear a dress that they have no business wearing because it fits wrong, women who wear ill fitting juinor size clothes with logos all over their behinds, overweight women pouring themselves into "skinny" jeans and the list goes on.

LOL:)

It wouldn't surprise me if hose, stockings, pantyhose......and even in nude:p, will make a comeback at some point, as soon as some designer decides they are the newest, hippest look.:D

Now WHO would think that tye die would ever be considered haute couture?;)

http://www.stylelist.com/2010/05/17/how-to-wear-tie-dye-spring-2010/?ncid=webmaildl5

• 2 weeks later...

I like bare legs - even with cocktail dresses. But I have to stay out of the sun, so I am pale. I use Sally Hansen spray on leg makeup in one of the lighter shades and apply it so it is sheer. It gives me a nice finished look and feels great.

I can't believe this discussion is still going on. I also can't believe the arrogance of some of the posters. If someone believes that her legs look better with pantihose, who are you to criticize her! This is especially true if you are young - I expect you may feel diferently if you ever develop spider or varicose veins. As far as "How Not to Look Old" do you think someone would look younger with her spider and vericose veins on display or do you think she should only appear in public wearing trousers? Please!

This "How not to look old" book has really become a pain, sorry! LOL Several friends mentioned it in discussions. So I went to read the reviews on Amazon. Many were gushing but I read a few that made me decide not to buy the book. It seems the book is written for those who are really into fashion trends...so if you are one of those people, you would love this book. Many of the ideas are just not practical for most women, especially if you have a 'real' woman's shape. All the pictures showed young body shapes, many of the models looked no older than 30 and many of the clothing suggestions are very expensive or very impractical for most of us.

Instead many people recommended books that focus on how to dress to look thinner or make yourself feel better. I like that idea much better.

So if a pair of sheer control top pantyhose make a woman feel more confident and make her feel and look slimmer, allowing her to wear a more fitted youthful dress or pants, then go for it. Honestly, I don't usually look at a woman's legs but unless she is wearing support hose with a casual skirt or dress, I doubt she would look old.

Sad how we women beat each other up over fashion. I know many women who 'look old' because they are old but that shine in their eyes is that of a 19 year old. If we put back that shine, we will all look much younger, regardless of whether we wear pantyhose. I feeling rather defensive of all the pantyhose wearers in these threads.

For me it isn't a matter of what is in or what is out, rather hose are uncomfortable for me and I will never wear them again. I think if you feel more comfortable wearing hose then you should and if you (like me) do not feel comfortable wearing them then don't wear them. Life is too short to spend your days waiting until you get home and can change.

Amen sistah! I will never wear them again. So uncomfortable...

Your another one who makes too much sense here..so you'll be booted off soon, too, I bet..LOL

The so called Fashionistas would look fantastic if they ironed their clothes, and bought clothes that fit, for starters. And also wore the right kind of foundaton underneath (like a bra that fits) but I guess they would rather beat up the people who wear pantyhose.

Nothng looks more ridiculous, to me, than a woman who is obviously "old" and tries too hard to look "young". There is nothng wrong with growing old, and some of the most beautiful women I've ever seen were women with a full head of white hair and who dressed sensibly.

This "How not to look old" book has really become a pain, sorry! LOL Several friends mentioned it in discussions. So I went to read the reviews on Amazon. Many were gushing but I read a few that made me decide not to buy the book. It seems the book is written for those who are really into fashion trends...so if you are one of those people, you would love this book. Many of the ideas are just not practical for most women, especially if you have a 'real' woman's shape. All the pictures showed young body shapes, many of the models looked no older than 30 and many of the clothing suggestions are very expensive or very impractical for most of us.

Instead many people recommended books that focus on how to dress to look thinner or make yourself feel better. I like that idea much better.

So if a pair of sheer control top pantyhose make a woman feel more confident and make her feel and look slimmer, allowing her to wear a more fitted youthful dress or pants, then go for it. Honestly, I don't usually look at a woman's legs but unless she is wearing support hose with a casual skirt or dress, I doubt she would look old.

Sad how we women beat each other up over fashion. I know many women who 'look old' because they are old but that shine in their eyes is that of a 19 year old. If we put back that shine, we will all look much younger, regardless of whether we wear pantyhose. I feeling rather defensive of all the pantyhose wearers in these threads.

Just went to an affair that required a cocktail dress. The day of, I put on the dress with pantyhose on one leg and the other au natural. It wasn't even close to which looked better.:) Cocktail hour, dinner, sitting through a guest speaker and gasp.......the pantyhose were not uncomfortable.:p

Archived