Pantyhose making a comeback?

mistyinca

I am 52 years old and have worn pantyhose since their inception in the 1960's. Before that, I wore proper stockings with a garter belt. Believe it or not, I could not wear PANTS to school until the 8th grade (1971) and absolutely no one during that time went to school, church or elsewhere barelegged. You wore a dress or skirt and hose...period. "Getting" to wear hose was actually a rite of passage similar to being given permission to shave your legs. It was a sign that you were growing up.:D:D

What a memory that brings! I was in my first year of teaching junior high in 1971 when students and women staff were finally allowed to wear pants. We actually had a 40 minute assembly including a fashion show to explain what was and was not acceptable to wear. When I retired in 1999 things had sure changed!

...(esp since it was cold and pouring rain!). There were a few barelegged women, and to me, they looked half dressed. They're wearing winter coats, gloves, and scarves yet have bare legs. I don't get it. :rolleyes:

And, I'll bet there were strappy sandals and/or peep toe shoes, right?;):rolleyes:

And, I'll bet there were strappy sandals and/or peep toe shoes, right?;):rolleyes:

Yup!

And when we left the opera it was windy, cold and raining with lots of puddles. I saw one man carrying his bare legged, sandled wife/date to a taxi!

I'll bet those same gals who wear bare legs, sandals and skimpy desses in winter insist that no hint of velvet appear in the summer months (or in the Caribbean at any time) because "we should dress for the outdoor weather.":):D

Nope....not me. I'm a No Velveteer and I would never go with bare legs in the winter.:D

I'll bet those same gals who wear bare legs, sandals and skimpy desses in winter insist that no hint of velvet appear in the summer months (or in the Caribbean at any time) because "we should dress for the outdoor weather.":):D

Actually most of them were from out of town. They didn't look like NYers, and the week before we had sunny weather in the high 50's, so I'm thinking that maybethey packed beforehand when the weather was warm, and then threw in the wintercoat "just in case".

NYers were dressed in dressy dresses or wintery gowns, hose, shoes and boots.

I was in a black crepe dress with sheer flowy sleeves and black patent high heeled boots. My friend was similarly dressed - in a black evening suit and pumps. Both of us wore black hose.

There wasn't a piece of velvet in sight - no one would wear velvet in March. Velvet season is over.

I'm going back to Met to see Madame Butterfly next week, however it'll be a Thursday night, not Saturday night so I'll be curious to see if there are less gowns. I'm going with a male friend and he'll definitely be in a suit and tie.

Yup! And when we left the opera it was windy, cold and raining with lots of puddles. I saw one man carrying his bare legged, sandled wife/date to a taxi!

Wow. I saw several women, same scenario, at a concert right after the blizzard...snow piled 6 ft. high on the parking lot, ice, etc., tiptoeing around in strappy sandals with bare toes. The lot is about a block from the venue. I wore boots and I was freezing! :D

I rarely wear dresses and never knew pantyhose was supposedly "out" until reading it on this board a couple of years ago. I've seen women wearing casual summer dresses with sandals and bare legs and that looks fine, but can't imagine a woman wearing a nice dress or suit with heels and no hose. I think that would look stupid and unfinished...as if she "forgot" something. :rolleyes:

I did not know that wearing hose was ever out. I have ,and always will wear them with a dress. There are those that just blast out no you cant, but here they have always been worn. There is nothing that looks worse than white,' hoseless legs in dress shoes.YUK

Where I work, the women wear suits--and if it's a skirt suit, they wear hose. I don't think bare legs look professional.

There are many business women who come into the restaurant where I work for lunch. They have on skirt suits with heels and no hose. Of course, Florida has a warm climate. If this were Chicago or New York in winter, I'll bet those same women would have on pantyhose if they had on skirts. Having said that, I am from NJ, and I have not worn pantyhose in more than 20 years (even when I lived in New Jersey). Pantyhose are a most uncomfortable garment, and in winter (when I lived in a cold climate) I never, ever wore skirts. Even with slacks, I wear anklet socks/hose with an enclosed shoe because I absolutely cannot stand anything tight on my legs.

It's 64 degrees and raining. I counted 5 women over lunch who had on hose, and 3 who had on tights. That's in Palm Beach.

There are many business women who come into the restaurant where I work for lunch. They have on skirt suits with heels and no hose. Of course, Florida has a warm climate. If this were Chicago or New York in winter, I'll bet those same women would have on pantyhose if they had on skirts. Having said that, I am from NJ, and I have not worn pantyhose in more than 20 years (even when I lived in New Jersey). Pantyhose are a most uncomfortable garment, and in winter (when I lived in a cold climate) I never, ever wore skirts. Even with slacks, I wear anklet socks/hose with an enclosed shoe because I absolutely cannot stand anything tight on my legs.

I've never let the "fashion" police tell me what's in or not.

I rarely wear them but am known to cheat with knee highs in the summer under longer skirts....and that depends on the type of skirt.

I do have a formal dress that I just don't think would look right without panty hose.

I have a casual sundress that would look funny WITH hose.

So it boils down to this....does the dress call for hose?

Actually most of them were from out of town. They didn't look like NYers, and the week before we had sunny weather in the high 50's, so I'm thinking that maybethey packed beforehand when the weather was warm, and then threw in the wintercoat "just in case".

NYers were dressed in dressy dresses or wintery gowns, hose, shoes and boots.

I was in a black crepe dress with sheer flowy sleeves and black patent high heeled boots. My friend was similarly dressed - in a black evening suit and pumps. Both of us wore black hose.

There wasn't a piece of velvet in sight - no one would wear velvet in March. Velvet season is over.

I'm going back to Met to see Madame Butterfly next week, however it'll be a Thursday night, not Saturday night so I'll be curious to see if there are less gowns. I'm going with a male friend and he'll definitely be in a suit and tie.

M.Butterfly is my favorite opera - I'd love to see it at the Met. Enjoy.

My comment referred to those who DO wear bare legs in the winter.

We may have a failure to communicate here.;)

Yep, got that but you also mentioned they would be the same ones who insist no velvet be worn in the Caribbean. What I mean is, I do not think velvet should be worn in the Caribbean and I do not go with bare legs in the winter.:)

I did not know that wearing hose was ever out.

They never were.

It simply became acceptable not to wear them, so it gave women choices.

But it seems that those here that don't like them are trying to convince the rest that they are out.

M.Butterfly is my favorite opera - I'd love to see it at the Met. Enjoy.

Thanks!

We've had a complete weather change here and it's been bright, warm and sunny for the past few days. It'll be interesting to see what's worn to the opera on a weekday night.

We may have a failure to communicate here.;)

Yep, got that but you also mentioned they would be the same ones who insist no velvet be worn in the Caribbean. What I mean is, I do not think velvet should be worn in the Caribbean and I do not go with bare legs in the winter.:)

Me too. :)

I was just trying to point out the irony of the "dress for the outdoor weather" explanation (for their "no velvet in the Caribbean rule) by those who go barelegged and skimpy in winter.

It's 64 degrees and raining. I counted 5 women over lunch who had on hose, and 3 who had on tights. That's in Palm Beach.

Of course, of late, it has been unseasonably cool for an extended period of time. In downtown Ft. Lauderdale (when the weather is our usual Florida hot) I mostly see women sans hose.

they are nuts..LOL..or tourists :)

Of course, of late, it has been unseasonably cool for an extended period of time. In downtown Ft. Lauderdale (when the weather is our usual Florida hot) I mostly see women sans hose.

Lots of different opinions on this subject. Personally, I feel most comfortable wearing pantyhose with dresses and pants at work. I wear suits to work and feel more confident in dresses/skirts with the pantyhose and the pantyhose also creates a smoother look in pants. Many women I work with forego the pantyhose. Looks good on a few, though the majority....not so much. When I'm not working...no pantyhose!

My next cruise is to Canada; this being my first non-Caribbean itinerary I an prepared in case the weather is chillier than I am used to. I am bringing sheer pantyhose and closed toe shoes (Slingback pumps) for evenings. I am also bringing sandals in case it is warmer, and in that case, no hose with them.

Umm for me they've always been OUT..last time I wore them I was 7, it was Easter and they were white..I just turned 22 and would NEVER wear them. Someone mentioned "tights" or "leggings"..those are in kinda in style but they go a bit past the knee and are different than panty-hose for sure. I dont even wear them much anymore because they got a bit burned out. They only look good with certain things and I like to mix it up.There are newer trends out there especially now for spring :D

• 2 months later...

As the profile picture illustrates, pantyhose are still the way to go for any/all evening functions. Gentlemen really do prefer...

All sorts of ladies find excuses not to wear them but I'd imagine these same folks don't care much about their hair, their makeup or what they are wearing either.

I wear hose often and am constantly complimented about them by both men and women.

Strongly encourage you to give PH a try!!

I always wear hose with my dresses and heels..I just don't like the feel of my feet being bare in my shoes. I just feel that hose completes an outfit and gives it a more polished look. I can see a casual sundress and sandals without hose, but I seldom ever wear them.

Some of the ladies were talking about when they first were able to wear pants to school and work....I remember in the 80's, I had this beautiful wine colorerd wrap dress that hit just below the knee (of course I was 25 years younger and 25 lbs lighter) I wore these really high sling back peep-toed pumps, and my hose had "seams";) It was a big thing at the time, and I felt so .....well...you know.....:D I may just have to see if I can find some of those...I could stand to feel like that again!:rolleyes::):D

Archived