Pantyhose making a comeback?

mistyinca

I never understood why the so called fashionistas proclaim "tights" are in but pantyhose is not.

I am not an "old" person by no means but to me, nothing can ruin the look of a dress more ...depending on the style..than wearing the wrong under g arments (wrong bra, panties, no shapewear) and hose (at times). granted a flowy summery dress doesnt look great with hose, but some finer dresses look more "finished" with hose.

What Happy Ks posted about her daughter wearing tights, and then Daphne Oz on "The Chew" the other day dressed for New Years' Eve in a dress with thick black tights, made me start to think that maybe the younger generation, in their tights, are starting to realize that, on some occasions and with some outfits, covered legs look best. Perhaps this will develop into a new kind of leg covering we haven't thought of yet that everyone can wear and enjoy. I hope so because my opinion is that bare legs are appropriate with dresses in summer, but with winter and cocktail clothes, the stark contrast between colors and fabrics and that bare skin is not smooth and "put together".

Funny but I was thinking the exact opposite as I was Christmas shopping this week.:D My grandmother has been wanting some nude colored pantyhose and I am having a a difficult time finding some for her. Our local Macy's has decreased their stock, they have lots of tights or black pantyhose but very little in the nude colors. The same with Kohl's, Penny's & Target.

I guess in 2 years the great pantyhose debate has not been resolved!:D

Sherri:)

I was shopping with my daughter at Macy's in Atlanta yesterday. Their Hosiery departmentis HUGE. Instread of the traditional nude hose of yesteryear, though it is filled with all sorts of alternatives- tights of all colors, weights and textures; socks of all styles, thicnesses and heights (Lots of Knee- and over-the -knee langhts) - even LEG WARMERS (remember those, ladies???) The biggest difference from a decade ago is that they hosiery is EXPENSIVE. $20 for ordinary tights is a bit ridiculous IMO.

A couple of posters nailed it: The new royal, Kate, has been wearing hose. I read bare legs are not allowed at Buckingham Palace. Anyway, they say she is bringing back hose. The important thing is to wear GOOD hose, the ultra-sheer Donna Karan or the like. I wore some for the first time in years to Symphony Hall last week and it was kind of nice to not bother with the tanning stuff, though they don't do much to keep your legs warm. That said, I wouldn't wear them during the day, or with a sundress.

• 5 months later...

Resurrected this old thread because I just saw this picture of the Duchess of Cambridge looking mighty fine in hose, stockings, pantyhose, thigh hi's or whatever you want to call them.;):)

88032-original.jpg

Of course since she has such great legs to begin with, she looks good without. Unfortunately, many who go without do not have her legs.:eek:

81418-original.jpg

I am too. Did you ever notice for some professions, if the woman's uniform requires it, the pantyhose just make them look more "polished"? I"m thinking about Flight Attendants, specifically.

Pantyhose are very common in many other countries, even in church on Sunday in the Caribbean or at a wedding you'll see many wearing hose even in the sweltering heat. Not so much everyday, but I've gone to many a wedding and church service in Jamaica and often was the only one without hose. But trust me, once the main event was over, you saw many ditching them!:)

Funny, I never stopped wearing them, they add a finished look. Glad the "trend" is turning.

Resurrected this old thread because I just saw this picture of the Duchess of Cambridge looking mighty fine in hose, stockings, pantyhose, thigh hi's or whatever you want to call them.;):)

She regularly is mocked in the press for her preferences for wearing pantyhose.....

She regularly is mocked in the press for her preferences for wearing pantyhose.....

Interestingly, I've only heard of praise for her fashion sense. Must be different markets that bring of the pantyhose. Personally I believe she was well groomed for her new role and am amazed how much people give her such high praise with her dress/style. It's nice, but not the first and only person to dress nice.

jmo

Saw a picture of the Duchess of Cambridge, aka, Kate Middleton in nude stockings, hose, whatever you want to call them. There's a certain shine to the legs in photos that's a giveaway. If she doesn't bring them back, no one will.:)

It's not a preference, it's a requirement for the job (and it is a job- she didn't sign up just for a marriage, she signed up for a permanent PR job). She is gorgeous, and she's fashionable within the confines of protocol, but that's like President Obama being fashionable- it's a suit, who can tell?

I think when she was first in the spotlight in the US, she was fashionable- but lately, she's how I picture someone fashionable and my mother's age dressing more often than not. I'm 34.

I get that she totally dresses for her role and that's appropriate. That's also why I don't think she's the best example of "pantyhose are making a comeback":p (I do think she's beautiful and always looks good -except too much black eyeliner which I've mentioned here before - it ages her) Sure, some of her outfits are matronly - I expect that, because of who she is. She also wears skinny jeans (eg over the weekend at a polo match, with wellies)

Those who like pantyhose will wear them no matter what, and those of us who dislike them will continue to find reasons to avoid them:D

Archived