Pantyhose making a comeback?

mistyinca

I suppose I'll add my two cents to the fray. My personal view, if you like pantyhose, wear them. If you don't, then don't wear them. People will be far more likely to notice that a woman seems insecure and uncomfortable than if she is wearing pantyhose or not. I personally don't wear them anymore. I had a hard time getting used to it at first, especially because I don't have flawless legs, but I absolutely love not having to worry about runs anymore. :)

For what it's worth, I read oodles of fashion mags and used to work in the industry so I guess you could say I'm a bit of a junkie. The OP is right in her assertion that pantyhose have not been "acceptable" in fashion circles in recent years. Tights have always been OK, but more traditional sheer suntan, nude, ivory, and black pantyhose have not been "in fashion" for several years. This is part of the reason Spanx and control top like garments have become so popular. Oddly, when I was in high school during the late 80's we wore pantyhose, but we would never have dreamed of wearing something that was girdle-like! That would have been too much like our grandmothers. Now women talk openly about their various support garments. So funny how things change.

ETA: Depending how my legs look, I will sometimes opt for Dermablend or something similar to spot cover anything I don't want others to notice. Theatrical cover makeup for tattoos and such is actually relatively inexpensive and comes in color wheels so you can mix and match according to your skintone. They also make it in shades that will color correct (orange for blue/green, yellow for red, etc) depending on your problem areas. I get mine at a local store that has costumes and party supplies, but Ben Nye has been around for ages and you can probably find a local source for their products. If you think you need more full coverage, the Sally Hansen spray-on pantyhose can be good. I find it's darker than I expect (I am olive/medium and buy the light). It covers REALLY well, but makes a bit of a mess.

Clickchick, you are right! I hadn't thought of how we used to avoid body shaping garments because girdles and corsets were too old fashioned. Now, everybody is shaping everything. We did wear panty hose and, I supposed, pretended that control-top panty hose were not shapers. But those who have discarded the control-top were left going "as is" which sometimes is not that great.

I see most of this as a laxing of the standards of dress that used to prevail. I now wear my hair everyday looking like I wouldn't have gone out of the house thirty years ago. All the rules have been abandoned and, while everybody looks different, I can't say I think they look better. They just look more natural, which I haven't yet accepted as "better". I frequently feel like a slob being in style.

Sad how we women beat each other up over fashion. I know many women who 'look old' because they are old but that shine in their eyes is that of a 19 year old. If we put back that shine, we will all look much younger, regardless of whether we wear pantyhose. I feeling rather defensive of all the pantyhose wearers in these threads.

Perfectly said, I am one of those that if wearing a short cocktail dress or a dress to church or work, pantyhose will be worn with open-toed shoes!:p

Also if they are SO out of style why are Leggs and Hanes still selling??

Perfectly said, I am one of those that if wearing a short cocktail dress or a dress to church or work, pantyhose will be worn with open-toed shoes!:p

Also if they are SO out of style why are Leggs and Hanes still selling??

Not only Leggs and Hanes but any number of other brands. Why???Because I'm not the only old, unfashionable, fuddy duddy around.:D

BTW, just be sure to get the toeless ones, Hanes has them.;)

There are many different levels of participation in the highest level of being "fashionable". There are people whose lives revolve around being dressed in the lastest of everything for the few months before the newest things become "dated". This is a little ridiculous for those of us who have other interests....being fashionable and constantly dressed in the newest ideas is an expensive and time-consuming hobby.

And it is true that people at that level of dressing are no longer wearing stockings, especially nude colored ones. And they do not wear stockings in any color with open shoes. They are still being sold because some people buy them. You will notice the the hosiery department in any store is now smaller than it used to be. Whether or not you want to participate is up to you. Everybody needs to wear what makes them feel most comfortable, not just physically comfortable but also confidently assured that they are looking their best.

There are not many things that everybody does the same....it's up to each of us how we want to do things that don't hurt anyone else.

There are not many things that everybody does the same....it's up to each of us how we want to do things that don't hurt anyone else.

Lucky Granny you hit it dead on, your grandchildren are lucky!

Do unto others as you would want done to you....

Just went to an affair that required a cocktail dress. The day of, I put on the dress with pantyhose on one leg and the other au natural. It wasn't even close to which looked better.:) Cocktail hour, dinner, sitting through a guest speaker and gasp.......the pantyhose were not uncomfortable.:p

I think the ultra sheer pantyhose are nice looking, unfortunately they do not have stretch in them and I have a very small,(5 1/2), foot; they just don't fit well with my foot size.

I suppose it's where you shop, then.

I have to buy my socks at Nordstrom, since they are the only place that sells extended sizes. They have a full hosiery section, with every type of panty hose you can imagine.

My favorite brand is Just my size shapers and I buy size 4x even though thankfully I am not near that weight range. I have found that the size ranges for plus women are not always a good indicator of what feels good on MY body. I buy my panty hose in one local CVS drugstore. The other CVS usually does not have my size. Go figure. They are about $3.99 and less on sale. Good deal. Like both jet black and suntan.

• 1 year later...
I am 52 years old and have worn pantyhose since their inception in the 1960's. Before that, I wore proper stockings with a garter belt. Believe it or not, I could not wear PANTS to school until the 8th grade (1971) and absolutely no one during that time went to school, church or elsewhere barelegged. You wore a dress or skirt and hose...period. "Getting" to wear hose was actually a rite of passage similar to being given permission to shave your legs. It was a sign that you were growing up.

Today, I wore a black slinky knit skirt (straight, below the knee) and a royal purple lightweight sweater to work (a medical office) with some closed toe black leather wedges. My pasty white legs would have looked ridiculous without my black hose and since it was in the 40's when I left the house I would have been freezing. The pantyhose I wear are Donna Karan and fit me well and are comfortable.

When the weather gets warmer I will certainly go without hose (with self tanner) but I guess I just go with what (to me) looks and feels appropriate and comfortable. However, it is a giggle when the kids I take care of walk up and FEEL my legs when I am wearing hose :D:D

Well good memories from another baby boomer! Do you remember the darker reinforced heel and toe in the nylon stockings? And had to laugh when you talked about kids rubbing your legs when you wore the nylons!

Your post brought a chuckle this morning!!!! I'm the same age and it brought back memories. I remember the first time I was allowed to wear pantyhose.....thought I was real grown up :D.

Yes, the switch to panty hose was a blessing compared to the garter belts or girdles used to hook up the nylon stockings of yesteryear.

My dad would tease Mom about putting on her "armor."

In the early 1950's, I remember that some of my gradeschool teachers wore seamed stockings. Mom, Grandma, & aunts wore them also. It must have been an effort to keep those seams straight.

Today, I only wear hose when a dress or outfit calls for it. My work outfits are pants & jeans, with which I only need trouser socks when I wear closed toe shoes. With sandals----no hose.

Remember peds?

I live in S. Florida where some say NOBODY ever wears hose..

This morning it was in the low 60s in Palm Beach..and a lot of woman were wearing hose with dresses to church...yep...they were..60's can be quite chilly for our area and sometimes it can even get down to the 30's and 40's though not common.

Yes, the switch to panty hose was a blessing compared to the garter belts or girdles used to hook up the nylon stockings of yesteryear.

My dad would tease Mom about putting on her "armor."

In the early 1950's, I remember that some of my gradeschool teachers wore seamed stockings. Mom, Grandma, & aunts wore them also. It must have been an effort to keep those seams straight.

Today, I only wear hose when a dress or outfit calls for it. My work outfits are pants & jeans, with which I only need trouser socks when I wear closed toe shoes. With sandals----no hose.

Remember peds?

If I'm wearing a little black dress, I prefer the monochromatic color scheme (black dress, black or off-black hose and black heels). Really makes my legs look slender and sexy. Beyond that, I don't care if anyone thinks I'm out of fashion. I've never really been in fashion.

Where I work, the women wear suits--and if it's a skirt suit, they wear hose. I don't think bare legs look professional.

My job requires pantyhose with dresses and skirts and I absolutely agree with you!

Some people with less than nice legs could benefit from the even look or some self tanner!

I like how they keep my skirts from clinging and also make shoes WAY more comfy because that thiiiiiin piece of material between the shoe and my body prevent lots of blisters!

To anyone who finds them uncomfortable, you aren't buying the right fit! Control hose are restricting, seams on the toes can roll under your foot, etc.

And it is true that people at that level of dressing are no longer wearing stockings, especially nude colored ones. And they do not wear stockings in any color with open shoes. They are still being sold because some people buy them. You will notice the the hosiery department in any store is now smaller than it used to be. Whether or not you want to participate is up to you. Everybody needs to wear what makes them feel most comfortable, not just physically comfortable but also confidently assured tha<snip>

It's funny but I have noticed hosiery departments are on the increase in our local stores. There are more stores carrying hose and those who always did have enlarged their departments.

It seems more people must have 'gone back' to wearing hosiery or the stores would not be giving it space.

Well, this thread is almost 2 years old and I still haven't seen a big return to pantyhose.

My 19 year old daughter wears black tights with almost everything (she never wears jeans, only dresses). Not really pantyhose in the way I remember them. I don't think I could stand to wear heavy tights like she does.

I live in Florida and work in the Northeast. I wouldn't dream of ever wearing hose in Florida--in fact I resist wearing shoes but instead opt for sandals as much as possible.

But when I go up north, I do sometimes pair tights (not hose) with a skirt in cooler months. I was in New England two weeks ago with slacks and shoes, no socks, and PA last week--put socks on about halfway through the trip when the temps dipped into the lower 40's.

But wear pantihose? Not going to happen.

IMHO, casual skirts with sandals look great with bare legs,hose doesn't suit this look at all. But dressy dresses with sexy, dressy shoes - or tailored business skirts - and bare legs look well on very few women. You have to be in your 20's, and have beautifully shaped legs and blemish free skin.

I disagree. My wife is 49, has great legs, and I've never seen her wear panty hose even once. Same for her older sister.

It's funny but I have noticed hosiery departments are on the increase in our local stores. There are more stores carrying hose and those who always did have enlarged their departments.

It seems more people must have 'gone back' to wearing hosiery or the stores would not be giving it space.

Funny but I was thinking the exact opposite as I was Christmas shopping this week.:D My grandmother has been wanting some nude colored pantyhose and I am having a a difficult time finding some for her. Our local Macy's has decreased their stock, they have lots of tights or black pantyhose but very little in the nude colors. The same with Kohl's, Penny's & Target.

I guess in 2 years the great pantyhose debate has not been resolved!:D

Sherri:)

Also in South Florida, it is in the mid 70's today....Just came back from Pennys. Made a special trip to pick up several pairs of Assets as they now carry them. (in a new sheer style)

Going to the Candlelight Communion service at Church tonight, wouldn't think of going without hose. Plus had to get new ones for New Year's Eve. Certainly not going out with a cocktail dress on and no hose....Not these "old" legs!:D:)

I really think it is what you are most comfortable with and how a lot of us grew up. Some old habits are hard to break and some old traditions even harder to give up.;)

Funny but I was thinking the exact opposite as I was Christmas shopping this week.:D My grandmother has been wanting some nude colored pantyhose and I am having a a difficult time finding some for her. Our local Macy's has decreased their stock, they have lots of tights or black pantyhose but very little in the nude colors. The same with Kohl's, Penny's & Target.

I guess in 2 years the great pantyhose debate has not been resolved!:D

Sherri:)

Try www.onehanesplace.com

Hopefully they will have what you are looking for.

What Happy Ks posted about her daughter wearing tights, and then Daphne Oz on "The Chew" the other day dressed for New Years' Eve in a dress with thick black tights, made me start to think that maybe the younger generation, in their tights, are starting to realize that, on some occasions and with some outfits, covered legs look best. Perhaps this will develop into a new kind of leg covering we haven't thought of yet that everyone can wear and enjoy. I hope so because my opinion is that bare legs are appropriate with dresses in summer, but with winter and cocktail clothes, the stark contrast between colors and fabrics and that bare skin is not smooth and "put together".

Archived