Pantyhose making a comeback?

mistyinca

I have typically Scottish skin - pale mottled white with a blue tinge :o - so I really don't care if it's in or out for tights/pantyhose I will most definitely be wearing them.

I also need to lose a bit of weight so find that panthose are great for holding in and smoothing in any lumps and bumps that I don't want on show.

They aren't a miracle cure but every little helps.

fwiw I rarely wear 'tan' colour tights, it's always opaque black or nearly black ones.

My DH likes me in check patterned ones, he says I really suit them. (not fishnet though, no one should ever wear them in public unless they are 'working' girls :eek:0,

I'm in my 20s. In my opinion, hose have never been out. I wear them sometimes for work under dress pants or with some dresses/skirts. I just go by the outfit and whether or not it looks complete without hose. If something looks off with bare legs, sheer hose usually completes it for me. It also depends on the shoes. I have some shoes that I have to wear hose or tights with and I have others that don't work with it at all. I don't usually have any trouble finding them.

So in other words, my black snakeskin wrap dress or satiny cocktail dress, yes I might wear hose. My cotton or linen sundress, no I wouldn't.

As the profile picture illustrates, pantyhose are still the way to go for any/all evening functions. Gentlemen really do prefer...

All sorts of ladies find excuses not to wear them but I'd imagine these same folks don't care much about their hair, their makeup or what they are wearing either.

I wear hose often and am constantly complimented about them by both men and women.

Strongly encourage you to give PH a try!!

Seriously? WOW. Make assumptions much? I hate panty hose but I can assure you my hair and makeup are done daily and I dress nicely too. All sort of "ladies" make snide comments but that doesn't make them ladies btw.

Since when do men compliment women on their pantyhose LOL. I mean really? Wouldn't that be outside the bounds of acceptable behavior in your world?

And this is your first post why?

You are complimented on your pantyhose by men? I don't... get... it...

:confused::confused::confused:

Seriously? WOW. Make assumptions much? I hate panty hose but I can assure you my hair and makeup are done daily and I dress nicely too. All sort of "ladies" make snide comments but that doesn't make them ladies btw.

Since when do men compliment women on their pantyhose LOL. I mean really? Wouldn't that be outside the bounds of acceptable behavior in your world?

And this is your first post why?

Does this matter?:confused:

It's possible that this person did not state what they meant quite right. Maybe they meant that others compliment the look of their legs when wearing pantyhose.

I've been reading "How Not to Look Old" by Charla Krupp. These are her credentials:

Charla Krupp has done over a hundred style segments on the Today Show; appeared on more than 40 national television shows, including Oprah, CBS The Early Show, Tyra, The Doctors, The View and Dateline; and been a regular on the E! Channel and the Home Shopping Network. She was beauty director of Glamour, an editor of In Style, beauty editor for People’s Style Watch, executive editor of Shop Etc. magazine and wrote a monthly fashion column for More Magazine called Fashion For Grownups. Currently, Charla is a contributing editor to People's Style Watch.

So she seems like she should know what she's saying. She claims you should NEVER wear nude pantyhose--NEVER. Only black, gray, brown, or navy opaque tights or (only if you must) sheer black hose. Well. I think she's out of her mind! No one should have to see my so-white-they're-almost-albino legs. The horror! (Self-tanners make my skin orange.)

Anyway, I thought that was very interesting, and I'll still be wearing hose, even if they do make me look like I'm old. The cruising public will thank me for it. :D

Robin

Why is this discussion even going on? In this day and time, pantyhose are entirely a matter of choice.....what is there to discuss? I have read these discussions before, however, and it has always struck me as interesting that it is the anti-pantyhose posters who enter emotions (like hate) and hostility and defensiveness into the mix. Except in some workplaces, everybody can do what they choose....why even talk about it?

Oddly this hadn't even entered my mind because I always take floor length gowns for elegant night. I skip the hose since no one could see if I have them on or not. But this year I'm stepping out of my comfort zone for a knee length little black dress with tierred ruffles. Maybe I should pick up some black hose. Think I might have some black spanx around here and try with and without to see which looks better. I guess I just never gave much thought to wether someone should wear hose or not, if you want to wear them ok, if not ok LOL

Does this matter?:confused: It's possible that this person did not state what they meant quite right.

That's what a discussion board is for - discussing. I simply asked a question.

Case in point, as I think about this more... I have recently lost almost 40 pounds. I know I look a little slimmer than I used to and women are telling me. Not one man has mentioned it to me face to face. Now, they may notice things but they don't always mention them to the person out loud. I was just curious as to what men have been telling her about her pantyhose, since she mentioned it. I just found it curious and asked.

OK, Langley, we now understand your comment. I don't get a lot of comments about what I wear either....I just assumed that nobody notices or care what OL's wear. But BND was downright rude and that poster has not yet explained her post. What kind of "lady" is that?

OMG you are so right about this. Who cares?

I share your opinion and also add that: 1) Some of it is cultural. When I visit my mother's Jamaican church here in FL you won't find a bare leg in the house, and the same is true in her church there. I also notice similar thingsi n South America. 2) People in warmer climates DO wear pantyhose at times because the air conditoning makes it freezing. Even though I live in southern Florida, I see it often...even on Saturday I saw a YOUNG gal in her twenties wearing hose, and GOD FORBID...OPEN TOED SANDALS!!! LOL

3) Nothing can ruin the look of a fine outfit than if you have ugly legs sans hose. Do yourself a fashion favor and wear them. If you read these boards, everyone is going to judge you for your ugly legs so you might as well wear hose and look more finished. 4) Hose are made differently it seems than they used to be..finer, more sheer, etc. 5)To the naysayers who say they are so uncomfortable and they feel like a stuffed sausage, well, how is it any different than wearing anything else you don't like, like a bra, etc.

Why is this discussion even going on? In this day and time, pantyhose are entirely a matter of choice.....what is there to discuss? I have read these discussions before, however, and it has always struck me as interesting that it is the anti-pantyhose posters who enter emotions (like hate) and hostility and defensiveness into the mix. Except in some workplaces, everybody can do what they choose....why even talk about it?

Rock on Granny..thanks for posting this!! :)

That's what a discussion board is for - discussing. I simply asked a question.

Case in point, as I think about this more... I have recently lost almost 40 pounds. I know I look a little slimmer than I used to and women are telling me. Not one man has mentioned it to me face to face. Now, they may notice things but they don't always mention them to the person out loud. I was just curious as to what men have been telling her about her pantyhose, since she mentioned it. I just found it curious and asked.

Things got a bit discombobulated.

I quoted you and another person who questioned the OP post about men complimenting the pantyhose. I then said it was possible that the person's post did not come out correctly and they meant they were being complimented on how their legs looked in pantyhose.

I know this board is for discussion and I was not questioning your question. I was merely giving the person the benefit of the doubt since I read it as the way their legs looked.

Asking why it mattered? That was to the BND when they mentioned it being someone's first post. I still stand by that in so much as it should not matter if it's someone's 1st or 500th post.

Let me preface this with saying, I am male, so have not actually worn pantyhose. That being said, I prefer stockings with a garter belt to pantyhose on my wife for several reasons. First, I think it looks like she's intent on making me happy, as she knows my predilection in this regard. Second, I think it has a more classically elegant and put together look than pantyhose, and doesn't seem matronly the way pantyhose do. This may be only in my head, but it's there, so I'm posting my opinion. Third, while we do live in SoCal, my wife tends to get cold, so when we go out and she wears a skirt or dress (again, she wears these for me typically), she needs something to keep her legs warmer, and stockings fit the bill well enough. As for ease of use, if you need the tummy control top pantyhose, then you need them. If you need some tummy control, the body shapers can be a good substitute and seem to smooth out the whole look for a woman. Or, if you're doing it for a special occasion, a corset/bustier looks great and usually includes the garters, so no belt is necessary. Fortunately, for me especially, my wife doesn't need the control top, so she can really get by with a garter belt in most dresses/skirts without a telltale line from it. Again, this is my personal preference, she grew up with pantyhose, and I got to (apparently she had never worn stockings once) introduce her to stockings and a garter belt.

If you are intent on purchasing pantyhose, I suggest online for those of us in SoCal who can't find a good selection. Any of the main online underwear stores should have more than enough options to make any woman happy.

While it is commendable to dress to make your husband happy, I am afraid I will keep that sort of dress code for the privacy of our own home. ;) When I go out, I dress so I am comfortable and so I look nice. My husband would love me if I wore a potato sack.

I grew up with pantyhose, but since moving to Florida have not worn them often. However, in a really nice short dress, I feel naked without them. I do have spider veins, have actually had one on my calf since I was a kid and my legs are white as white can be. Self tanner helps, but it certainly isn't as good as a pair of slinky, silky pantyhose. I am not sure about the stuffed sausage remark...but I guess I was pretty thin back in my pantyhose days. I have tried stockings..but I don't like them. Its sort of like wearing a dress that looks sexy but you have to worry about whether it will fall down on the dance floor.

tothemall&beyond, that was your opinion, right?....just your opinion?

IMO, I understand that nude pantyhose are out of style, right now, if they are plain sheers, but there are textured (like subtle fishnets) pale beige pantyhose that are not out. Also, a sheer pale gray is an option and various shades of sheer taupe are still in...and these are all lighter than black and are not opaque.

Just a curious question about pantyhose colors -- for those who say they wouldn't subject anyone to their pale, white legs so they wear nude or colored hose........isn't the rest of your body (e.g., arms, shoulders, chest) also pale? I would think it would look odd to dress up with hose that make your legs a different color from the rest of you. Sort of like those who wear foundation that's four shades darker than their natural skin tone and don't try to "blend it" into their neckline.

They are worn in Florida by some people. But it gets so hot they can be very uncomfortable unless you were inside all the time. But I have seen people wear them. Quite honestly, I don't care if someone wears them or not.

Cruisemom, over the years, your skin is exposed to the sun. The more exposed, the more it naturally darkens a little. Since some of us don't expose our legs as much as our arms, there usually is a difference in color. I imagine if you put your forearm next to a part of your body you rarely expose to the sun, you will see the difference. Of course, it depends on your skin I guess. I have naturally very light skin.

I live in hot, sticky South Carolina, but I grew up in New England. I am VERY used to wearing pantyhose - black in the winter or with little black dresses, and suntan tone in the summer. But slowly I began to notice that NOBODY around here wears pantyhose anymore. I began to feel very old and matronly when I would be at a social event and would be the only one wearing pantyhose - and I just turned 50. I started to despair of wearing short summer dresses because I am very fair. But thankfully I found spray on stockings. They give a beautiful finish to the legs, unlike a self tanner. Now I can wear my short summer dresses anywhere and feel like a million bucks. And this is definitely great for Caribbean cruises. I still wear black hose in the winter and occasionally in the summer with a little black dress, but other times its the spray on hose for me.

Archived