Who Wants an End to HAL Formal Nights Entirely?

sail7seas

One may find themselves dining next to someone in jeans and leather or black tie and everything in between, at most high end restaurants, on shore. Very few restaurants serving the general public maintain /enforce any sort of dress code and remain in business.

You are absolutely correct. When I dine at restaurants and other venues where an "upscale" environment is established and most people dress to match that upscale setting/event, there are always a few people who simply didn't appear to get "the memo."

The number of passengers , judging the book by the cover and giving the stink eye to those dressed better or worse than themselves, probably balances in the long run.

While I appreciate that you're being generous, in truth I would expect that my Formal-wear-loving compatriots will tend to be more vigorous in giving the "evil eye" to those who don't dress appropriately than the reverse. My only point in citing examples of the opposite was to illustrate that (1) it does happen, and (2) for those who are clothing/self-conscious, the worse thing you can do to them his intimate that they are not properly dressed (one way or the other).

The trend has and will continue to move towards a more relaxed dress code. Restaurants / cruise lines either accommodate trends or go out of business.

I agree ... so long as the culture continues to trend its current direction. Trends do change, however ... who knows what will be the norm in 2030?

Keep dressing to please yourself. If you see me in the MDR on formal night I'll be wearing a NavyBlue blazer, black or gray slacks, a dress shirt (almost new) and a tie that is still about the right width even though over 20 years old. It's the best I can do from my closet but enjoy seeing folks dressed more formally, especially Full Dess Kilts and military Dress Whites or Blues.
Living in South Padre I'm surprised that it wasn't a Guayabera. :D I do take one along with white pants and shoes for casual nights refreshingly cool and a different look than most folks. Of course the Texas flag tie and cummerbund makes a statement on formal nights, sometimes you just have to wrap yerself in the flag and dance for Ole Sam Houston.:)

Valentine's Day on the Noordam was a formal night with roses for the ladies, I was pleased to see the number of people who dressed for the occasion.

Kind thoughts from your friends are never out of place Rev. Neal!

A lot of people care about you one way or another from what I've observed.

the more they stay the same. Haven't posted on the HAL board for several years now. Put a smile on my face seeing a "dress code" thread with several hundred posts. I feel like I'm home.

Marc! Welcome back to the HAL board! You ARE home. :)

While I appreciate that you're being generous, in truth I would expect that my Formal-wear-loving compatriots will tend to be more vigorous in giving the "evil eye" to those who don't dress appropriately than the reverse.

Agree 100% You must speak from experience Reverend. All it takes is a "history search" to prove your point! Poster Hammybee is indeed being quite generous when stating that the proverbial "stink eye" (and comments) given by those dressed "better" to those dressed "worse" than themselves, probably balances in the long run, those same eyes as well as comments heading in the reverse direction. Unfortunately, there have been plenty of examples here of "stinky eyes" plus "comments" being directed at those who "refuse to play"

Agree 100% You must speak from experience Reverend. All it takes is a "history search" to prove your point! Poster Hammybee is indeed being quite generous when stating that the proverbial "stink eye" (and comments) given by those dressed "better" to those dressed "worse" than themselves, probably balances in the long run, those same eyes as well as comments heading in the reverse direction. Unfortunately, there have been plenty of examples here of "stinky eyes" plus "comments" being directed at those who "refuse to play"

My word ... :eek:

You would appear to have a "problem" with me.

For whatever I've done to you, I'm sincerely sorry.

While I appreciate that you're being generous, in truth I would expect that my Formal-wear-loving compatriots will tend to be more vigorous in giving the "evil eye" to those who don't dress appropriately than the reverse. My only point in citing examples of the opposite was to illustrate that (1) it does happen, and (2) for those who are clothing/self-conscious, the worse thing you can do to them his intimate that they are not properly dressed (one way or the other).

I think it is pretty much assured that people who are "dressed down" are negatively responded to more often than those who are "dressed up".

But, I would say to them the same as I said to you a few pages back: dress as you feel most comfortable. If someone else doesn't like it, that really *is* their problem, unless you allow it to be yours (generically speaking).

I, too, experienced a loss last week, although it was a long-loved family pet instead of a relative. It drives home to me, once again, the awareness that life is way too short for me to sweat the small stuff... and someone else not liking my apparel is DEFINITELY small stuff.

I, too, experienced a loss last week, although it was a long-loved family pet instead of a relative. It drives home to me, once again, the awareness that life is way too short for me to sweat the small stuff... and someone else not liking my apparel is DEFINITELY small stuff.

I'm so very sorry ... the "fur-children" are very important, indeed. The give love without question. They are a blessing.

Did I say you have done something to me? Take a deep breath; it'll be OK

Something has to occasion the "tone" of your writing and the subtle nuances of its content. When someone posts snippily I usually assume I've done something to occasion their snippiness. I'm pleased to read that it has nothing to do with me. :)

Something has to occasion the "tone" of your writing and the subtle nuances of its content. When someone posts snippily I usually assume I've done something to occasion their snippiness. I'm pleased to read that it has nothing to do with me. :)

The "tone" of my writing and the subtle nuances of its content:rolleyes:

I'm so very sorry ... the "fur-children" are very important, indeed. The give love without question. They are a blessing.

Thank you. We have one insulin-dependent dog and one with a severe heart problem (who has outlived the cardiologist's prediction by 6 months already), so we have been anticipating their deaths, but this one, our Ragdoll kitty, came out of nowhere. It is hard for people who are not "animal people" to understand, but I walked out of the critical care hospital, looked at people doing normal things and wondered if I'd ever feel normal again. A little part of me was... just gone.

However, my DH wisely determined that, instead of simply becoming a hospice, our house needed to be full of life and liveliness again, and so now we have two new "fur-babies". And, even though I still cry when I talk about his passing, I also smile when I see the two little lives we've opened our hearts to.

(And, yes, for those of you who aren't sure this is "the place" to talk about such things, it is called thread drift. Deal with it.) :-)

Yep put yer wife and yer dog in the trunk and drive around fer an hour. open er up and guess who's happy to see you!! That's unconditional love.:D

As regards the dress code, run what cha brung, I don't think any one here or there really cares all that much. Our concern would be that you want to change the culture of cruising for no apparent reason?? If dress up isn't part of your real life, then it shouldn't be on your vacation either.

Just keep in mind that we've done this for years and God grant we'll do it for more, but what you choose to do is entirely up to you. I won't give you the "eye" because I probably won't notice and could care less.

However, my DH wisely determined that, instead of simply becoming a hospice, our house needed to be full of life and liveliness again, and so now we have two new "fur-babies". And, even though I still cry when I talk about his passing, I also smile when I see the two little lives we've opened our hearts to.

My condolences on the loss of your sweet ragdoll (and they are such sweet floppy beasties), and bless you for providing a loving home to two more critters. May you have many years of joy with them.

When we were planning our first cruise, the one thing that gave me the most apprehension was formal nights. I thought I'd hate "dressing up".

As it turned out, it was a misconception (to me). I found that that it created a festive atmosphere (again, to me and seemingly others, I sensed). There was a time in our lives when there were more weddings, fine dining and other occassions when "dressing up" (so to speak) was appropriate. Times changed. Now most occassions demand no more than "smart casual". They way it evolved over the years, it was hard to notice that it disappeared.

Of course, HAL generally has a more "special" menu offering to accompany the formal night. And the live classical music in the dining room adds to it. Maybe its me, but the lounges seem more "charged" during formal nights.

For us, we would miss formal nights because it creates a different feeling (for us).

There are so many people who say they will eat in Lido rather than dress formal, that I wonder at what point, it's time to do away with formal nights - to go all 'elegant casual'.

Maybe it is mainly because of airline weight restrictions and people don't want to lug the formal clothing or maybe it is because formal is alien to their lives and they don't want to experience on vacation but it seems many folks say they don't wish to participate.

You want it to continue or not?

We enjoy the occasional formal night but on a 19 day cruise we took last fall there were 5 of them - too many. Too much extra clothing to pack, especially the men - unless they have a tux that they wear to every formal night. My DH doesn't like to wear the same thing five times.

Now back to the subject matter!:

Two more for keeping formal nights! We like the idea of dressing up for dinner and then afterward doing some dancing at the 'Senior's Prom'.

A few years ago we joined the Coterie, which is a formal dance club that was formed in 1948. Some believe it is the oldest formal dance club in America that has been in continuous existence. Now all the formal wear we've purchased over the years for our cruises are not just hanging in our closet until our next cruise. Our last cruise was on a ship that didn't require formal attire on it's 'Cruise Elegant' nights, however we wore ours anyway!;);)

And "thank you" to all of you in your prayers for my family on the passing of my grandmother. We're doing well.

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your grandmother. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

You contribute a tremendously to this forum and I appreciate your posts and I also love looking at your pictures! I know it takes time to do these things while on a cruise, and I appreciate you taking time away from your vacation to share these things with us.

We don't do formal nights, but after looking at the lovely pictures with you, your mother and Ruth, I sometimes wish we did. But hubby doesn't really want to do formal nights, and HAL has options for us, so we can get by with no problems, so I see no reason to end formal nights when there are people that do enjoy them and HAL has options for those that don't want to participate. We've never been ones to subscribe to "it's my vacation, I'll do as I please." We do what's asked of us regarding clothing ... no matter where we are, be it a restaurant, or a function of some sort. Hubby would never dream of showing up at a restaurant that requires a coat and tie without wearing one. This is just how we feel, and if others don't want to do this, I guess that's their choice. We love HAL because we find it so civilized. :)

Thank you. We have one insulin-dependent dog and one with a severe heart problem (who has outlived the cardiologist's prediction by 6 months already), so we have been anticipating their deaths, but this one, our Ragdoll kitty, came out of nowhere. It is hard for people who are not "animal people" to understand, but I walked out of the critical care hospital, looked at people doing normal things and wondered if I'd ever feel normal again. A little part of me was... just gone.

(And, yes, for those of you who aren't sure this is "the place" to talk about such things, it is called thread drift. Deal with it.) :-)

I'm sorry to hear about your furbaby. We have three Ragdoll cats and we love them so. We lost a cat 7 years ago very suddenly (he had a blood clot). I cried for years. I can now look at his picture without breaking down in tears, but I couldn't do that for a long time. I know they are cats, but they still are my babies. :) They worm their way into our hearts and it breaks our hearts when they pass. But I can't imagine not having cats in my life.

Now, to show you just how crazy I can be ... lol

When we were coming home from our last cruise, I decided to call the "boys" and tell them Meowmy was on her way home. The flight before us just loaded, so the area was empty ... or so I thought. I called home and left a message ... This is mommy and I'll be there soon. Then I started meowing. I looked up and there was this woman looking at me. lol I said I was leaving a message for my cats. She looked at me and went to the other side of the sitting area. lol

I know my cats hear these messages because I have played them for them once I am home, and they always come running when they hear my voice on the machine.

I guess I am nuts ... but I am a happy nut! :)

Archived