Hi there! Newbie booking first family cruise.

samnewbie

:) Hi all,

I have been reading the forums and gleaned some fantastic info and tips, so thankyou !.

We are about to book our first family cruise, myself, husband and teenage daughter who will be 15 when we sail.

We are looking at booking for either May or August 2011.

We are considering Ex Barcelona on NCL Epic or RCCL Liberty of the Seas, but would also consider departing from Malaga, Palma or Venice on RCCL Voyager/Adventure or other? , NCL's Jade/Gem?

I realise there are no reviews yet of the EPIC but I wondered if anyone has any thoughts or recommendations for a first family cruise please?.

My husband likes the idea of 'freestyle' but would like to dress up a bit for dinner so wouldnt mind occassional formal too.

We realise if we opt for August all med cruises will be very busy, which ship would possibly give the most relaxed 'less crowded' feel (if thats possible with thousands of people!).

Another thing we would like is to be able to walk around the ship at night for an evening stroll...(husband is an old romantic) is that possible on any of these ships?.

Our daughter is adamant she wont be joining any ship clubs, she enjoys nice restaurants so will want to do some speciality dining i'm sure , however i have suggested she has an open mind and maybe she will find herself wanting to join in a little with at least some teen events. Her happiness is obviously a major choice factor. I had thought Celebrity as an option also but was not sure of facilities for our daughter.

We would possibly consider sailing from Southampton but i'm slighltly concerned about the possibility of rough water on the way to the med.

I've also looked at Costa but think the multi language announcements would be wearing after awhile? I'm unsure what MSC would be like?

My husband is also a Coeliac (celiac) and any recommendations for the best line/ship for Gluten Free foods would be brilliant, so far i've read that NCL seem to do very well on this.

Well thats probably enough babbling from me, :eek:

any comments , suggestions, tips , help, greatly appreciated!,

Thanks in advance.

Sam:)

Wow! That's a lot you want to know!

Some things: You can walk outside on every ship....most have promenade decks that go all the way around, but if they don't, it's really not a huge deal...there will be plenty of places outside to be romantic!

Almost every line has "special needs" departments...for Celiac disease, allergies, etc....call whichever cruiseline and get the details.

Almost every mass-market line now has some form of "anytime" dining---but on some ships, there will still be a 'dress-code" of sorts to contend with...we enjoy dressing up---you look great dressed up---most enjoy it! Those who don't want to, go to one of the "casual" eateries on the "formal" evenings. NCL is much more casual than most. RCI will have several "formal" evenings where the majority of folks will abide by the dress standards.

Your daughter's enjoyment of the "kids clubs" will totally depend on the cruiseline...at 15, most kids aren't really into "planned activities" and prefer to "clump up" and do their own thing with other kids they've met either at the pool, arcade or sports deck....they'll find something to do! It's usually the 12 and under group that enjoys the "activities"!

Hi Sam

We are cruise virgins too and are going on our first cruise with Thomsons on Monday to the Canaries, then in June on their Ottoman Treasures cruise. We picked them because they are not too big or too fussy. They seems to have a bit of everything, formal night, smart casual in the buffet restaurant etc. AND tips are included in the price. Have a look on the Thomsons forum, they are really friendly and helpful on there. :)

Jan

Wow! That's a lot you want to know!

Some things: You can walk outside on every ship....most have promenade decks that go all the way around, but if they don't, it's really not a huge deal...there will be plenty of places outside to be romantic!

Almost every line has "special needs" departments...for Celiac disease, allergies, etc....call whichever cruiseline and get the details.

Almost every mass-market line now has some form of "anytime" dining---but on some ships, there will still be a 'dress-code" of sorts to contend with...we enjoy dressing up---you look great dressed up---most enjoy it! Those who don't want to, go to one of the "casual" eateries on the "formal" evenings. NCL is much more casual than most. RCI will have several "formal" evenings where the majority of folks will abide by the dress standards.

Your daughter's enjoyment of the "kids clubs" will totally depend on the cruiseline...at 15, most kids aren't really into "planned activities" and prefer to "clump up" and do their own thing with other kids they've met either at the pool, arcade or sports deck....they'll find something to do! It's usually the 12 and under group that enjoys the "activities"!

Dear CB,

Many thanks for your reply.

Yes sorry about my amount of questions, just thought better to put all my thoughts in one thread then do loads of threads and keep asking question after question.

Thanks for the info about the outdoor space, its nice to know most have full round the ship open spaces to walk around, i had thought it was starting to become a thing of the past.

My question about Coeliacs and gluten free was more for advice of 'personal experience'. I know all the cruise lines have the special needs departments and 'promise' some sort of gluten free availability but it would be nice to have first hand knowledge from someones experience of it to see which lines/ships actually 'deliver' and do it well. The gluten free aspect is important and any help or advice would aid us immensely in choosing our cruise. I have read really good reviews about NCL but not so much for RCCL or any others so any further help with that from anyone would be great!

My dining info was more to show what sort of thing we like. We are not adverse to a degree of some formality but would like a relaxed atmosphere also and some more casual dining (though still 'smart' in evenings) to give a balance. So just looking any advice as to which line/ship might appeal and suit us more really and not be too daunting being a first cruise.

Your info about the teens is great- thanks! Told my daughter and she seems happier about that (think she had the impression we would dump her with a bunch of teens and be expectd to do 'activities' all the time ) Just 'hanging out' appeals much more. Though we would never 'dump' her anyway. We are very much looking forward to spending quality time relaxing and having fun with our daughter but with the option for her to spend time with some young adults if she wishes.

Thanks again CB - brill info much appreciated.

Sam

Carnival will be having a new ship in the Med starting in May 2011..Carnival Magic. She will be sailing from Barcelona. Just something to think about. EM

Hi there EM,

Thanks for your reply and suggestion.

Yes I saw that Carnival will be sailing out of Barcelona. I even casually priced them up. I must admit I love the look of the facilities on board Carnival but i'm not too sure about sailing with them. I'm wondering if they will be just too 'full on' and not so much relaxed as high energy and loud?

Maybe you could advise me on that. I will also look at the Carnival forums, thanks for that, much appreciated,

Sam

Hi Sam

We are cruise virgins too and are going on our first cruise with Thomsons on Monday to the Canaries, then in June on their Ottoman Treasures cruise. We picked them because they are not too big or too fussy. They seems to have a bit of everything, formal night, smart casual in the buffet restaurant etc. AND tips are included in the price. Have a look on the Thomsons forum, they are really friendly and helpful on there. :)

Jan

Hi Jan,

Thanks for your reply and suggestion also.

OOO lucky things cruising on Monday, wish we were!!.

I must admit I havent really considered Thomson, had really just looked at the 'big' lines, I will have a look at them online and give them some consideration. I'm not sure how good they are for teens, i expect great for younger kids, so will check that out.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on your return,

Have a really wonderful time!!

Thanks again,

Sam

Hi Sam

Jan

Thomson is an ideal first cruise for a Brit, but there'll be few Americans on board.

UK to the Med?

Good for Brits who don't want to fly, good for colonials ;) who want to incorporate a few UK days pre/post cruise.And air fares US/UK are often advantageous.

Yes, the seas on the way have a reputation - in summer the Bay of Biscay is usually like a millpond, but sometimes has a real bad temper. But more important for a newbie is that there are more days at sea and port-intensive cruises are better for a first cruise. I'd lean toward a Med turnaround port, esp one which is worth a few days pre/post such as Barca or Venice.

Med-based Italian cruise lines don't tend to go down well with Brits/Americans. Those who acknowledge that the ship & esp the other pax have a different language, culture & taste and go with the flow enjoy the experience. But they're not the home-from-home experience that many seek.

John Bull

Hi Jan,

Thanks for your reply and suggestion also.

OOO lucky things cruising on Monday, wish we were!!.

I must admit I havent really considered Thomson, had really just looked at the 'big' lines, I will have a look at them online and give them some consideration. I'm not sure how good they are for teens, i expect great for younger kids, so will check that out.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on your return,

Have a really wonderful time!!

Thanks again,

Sam

Sorry Sam, thought you were from the UK with you mentioning Southampton. Still you might like the Thomson Dream, formerly Europa, just joining the fleet in April. It's a newer ship than the others. I've read a lot of Thomson posts from people taking their teenagers on the ship and they all seem to enjoy themselves, as the ships are not enormous they seem to make a lot of friends on board. I'll know more when I get back.

Thanks for your kind regards.

Jan

Sorry Sam, thought you were from the UK with you mentioning Southampton. Still you might like the Thomson Dream, formerly Europa, just joining the fleet in April. It's a newer ship than the others. I've read a lot of Thomson posts from people taking their teenagers on the ship and they all seem to enjoy themselves, as the ships are not enormous they seem to make a lot of friends on board. I'll know more when I get back.

Thanks for your kind regards.

Jan

Hi Jan,

You were right, I am from the uk, NW coast, so bit of a trek to S'hampton but still a possible option, its more the Bay of Biscay that i'm not so sure about given its choppy reputation .

I just hadnt really thought about Thomson as an option, mainly because I thought perhaps not so great for teens, will have a look though now after your suggestion, though i think my daughter has her eye on the Epic plunge and wants to see me scream all the way down it ha ha! ;)

Thanks for the info on the dream, will check it out tomorrow. :)

Sam

Thomson is an ideal first cruise for a Brit, but there'll be few Americans on board.

UK to the Med?

Good for Brits who don't want to fly, good for colonials ;) who want to incorporate a few UK days pre/post cruise.And air fares US/UK are often advantageous.

Yes, the seas on the way have a reputation - in summer the Bay of Biscay is usually like a millpond, but sometimes has a real bad temper. But more important for a newbie is that there are more days at sea and port-intensive cruises are better for a first cruise. I'd lean toward a Med turnaround port, esp one which is worth a few days pre/post such as Barca or Venice.

Med-based Italian cruise lines don't tend to go down well with Brits/Americans. Those who acknowledge that the ship & esp the other pax have a different language, culture & taste and go with the flow enjoy the experience. But they're not the home-from-home experience that many seek.

John Bull

Hi John,

Thanks for the info, i'm guessing you maybe think i'm from the US? I'm NW England , on the coast in Lancashire. Apologies for confusion:o

It is indeed the Bay of Biscay that slightly puts me off a cruise EX the UK, partly because i'm not the best 'sailor' even though i know the pod system helps eliminate the vibration, i'm a person who can feel seasick on the ferry walkway at the Mersey!...however i could take sealegs so not impossible and i'm hoping the movement wont even be noticible (fingers crossed).

Your point about the sea days and a port intensive first cruise I found really interesting however, especially as the Epic attracted me partly because it doesnt have the S of France stop as the Jade does this year and has the extra day at sea. I thought it would make for a more relaxing cruise? - Can you tell me why you think less sail days might be beter for a first time? Your advice would be really appreciated , thanks.

We are attracted to Barca mainly because we love Barca, but I have also been to Venice many times, my husband and daughter have not though and I would like them to see the city but as we are thinking main summer cruise i'm slightly thinking away from Venice, unless the ships departing there prove to be maybe more suitable. We would incorporate a few days either side of the cruise too, unless May then would prob be just before due to school holidays.

We are the type of people that go with the flow and love embracing different cultures and an Italian company for a med cruise visiting Italian ports seems ideal on the face of it, but i do wonder about the announcements being in multiple languages and fairly constant etc and things like smoking policies (Husband and I both non smokers and daughter would simply hate a smoky atmosphere) I read on one thread that smoking was overlooked on many Costa cruises and some MSC ?

I am trying to read up on all my queries raised but really enjoy the input from other members to my questions and greatly appreciate the time taken to reply to me.

Thanks again John.

Sam

We did a Med cruise on Celebrity in August a few years ago. I don't believe we had any seas days and it was the most tiring cruise we have ever been on. The best one but we needed another vacation when we got home ;) August was HOT. Nothing like touring in 100 degrees with no shade in sight for hours. You might want to keep that in mind however you never know what the weather is going to end up being like.

I have been on the RCI Independence (sister ship to the Liberty) and loved it. I am going to say that Costa and MSC might not be the place to start. I just spoke with someone who went on MSC and she really enjoyed it but she also said it would not be for everyone. I am wondering if your daughter might be bored.

Make sure you go in a day early if you can. We did not and it was a miserable first day as we could not sleep on the plane going over. It is also a good idea to get there early so you are there. Nothing like a plane problem to mess up a great vacation.

We left from Barcelona and ended in Venice. It was the smoothest water we ever had. The only time we left out of Southhampton was to do a British Isles cruise so I can't help you there.

We just got off the Grand Princess and I walked the Promenade numerous days. It is quite nice to be able to walk completely around the ship but some ships will have areas blocked off so this will not be possible. I will agree with the other poster you will be able to have those walks one way or another.

If you have never been to the Med before you are in for an EXCELLENT cruise.

I don't know anything about those specific cruises, but we went this last summer on the Freedom with 19 people. All of the kids had a blast and once they got involved in the teen sceen, we almost never saw them. They made friends really easy and really enjoyed the activities planned for the teens. Everything from sports, to video games, dances and trivia. Several nights, they even had special dinners and did not dine with us. The employees really knew the teens and how to "bring them out" so they made friends and had a great time. My kids still myspace the friends they made. Freedom was NOT my favorite ship, but the kids had fun. So far HAL is my favorite, but we are going to alaska on the Sapphire Princess this Aug.

Hi Jan,

You were right, I am from the uk, NW coast, so bit of a trek to S'hampton but still a possible option, its more the Bay of Biscay that i'm not so sure about given its choppy reputation .

I just hadnt really thought about Thomson as an option, mainly because I thought perhaps not so great for teens, will have a look though now after your suggestion, though i think my daughter has her eye on the Epic plunge and wants to see me scream all the way down it ha ha! ;)

Thanks for the info on the dream, will check it out tomorrow. :)

Sam

Hi Sam

When I'm in a hole I should really stop digging. Thinking about it last night I'm pretty sure that you have to be UK resident to book Thomsons. (I think !!:o) Sorry, never mind I'm off to Madeira first thing so I'll have a glass of sparkling wine in your honour. I'm so cheap. :)

Jan

We sailed on the Thomson Celebration last year - there are 3 Coeliacs in my family - we could not fault the service for the gluten free food. We had a letter awaiting us in our cabin to meet with the Maitre'd on the first day and he introduced us to the Head Waiters in the main restaurant then took us on a tour of the buffer restaurant & introduced us to the Head Chef & Head Waiter there. Nothing was too much trouble for us.

We had the sit down meal every night; they used to mark the normal menu with all the options that could be made or were gluten free. They provided GF bread, pasta, made sure there were GF desserts available - superb.

We used to eat at the buffet for breakfast & lunch. On the first day, we asked if it was possible for GF pancakes and every day thereafter, they brought some out specially as soon as we sat down.

It was so good, we have booked to go back on the Thomson Spirit this year (sister ship) - I just hope they are as good!

Sorry, just read your posting again! We took 2 children with us, then aged 9 & 12. They refused to go to the kids clubs (!). We all ate together every night - they loved the ambience of the restaurant & the superb service and then we all enjoyed the entertainment afterwards - they really did not need the kids clubs!

We are looking at booking for either May or August 2011.
I'd expect these dates will be opening fairly soon. You should keep an eye out because booking EARLY often gets you the lowest prices AND the best selection of rooms. Even within the same category, all rooms are not equal.
We realise if we opt for August all med cruises will be very busy, which ship would possibly give the most relaxed 'less crowded' feel (if thats possible with thousands of people!).
While I don't kow anything about the specific ships you've mentioned, my experience has been that the ships feel crowded during the first few hours (while everyone's still dragging loads of stuff around and can't get to their rooms yet), the exits feel crowded during port stops, and a few events (i.e., parades) are briefly crowded, and the ship feels crowded during disembarkation. The rest of the time you won't find solitude in the public areas . . . but it isn't overly crowded either.
Another thing we would like is to be able to walk around the ship at night for an evening stroll...(husband is an old romantic) is that possible on any of these ships?.

Again, I don't know your specific ships, but I cannot imagine any ship that wouldn't be built to accomodate this option. Walking on deck after dark with a significant other is wonderful.
Our daughter is adamant she wont be joining any ship clubs, she enjoys nice restaurants so will want to do some speciality dining i'm sure , however i have suggested she has an open mind and maybe she will find herself wanting to join in a little with at least some teen events. Her happiness is obviously a major choice factor. I had thought Celebrity as an option also but was not sure of facilities for our daughter.
Two suggestions: 1) See if you can get her chatting with other teens ahead of time -- you can make some connections through this board; once you're booked, you'll find a thread on this site for your specific ship/week. 2) Force her to go to the first night's "meet people" night. That's when all the teens are trying to meet others.

This is all really helpful information. I have a question... Can you get a room on a cruise that will accommodate 4 kids and 2 adults? We'd need 2 beds and a cot at a minimum. If not, what about adjoining rooms that open up to each other?

This is all really helpful information. I have a question... Can you get a room on a cruise that will accommodate 4 kids and 2 adults? We'd need 2 beds and a cot at a minimum. If not, what about adjoining rooms that open up to each other?
Yes, you can get a suite that'll accomodate you all in one room . . . but you can get a lower price and better selection of locations by choosing two adjoining rooms. Do a google search for your specific ship's deck plans.

We did a Med cruise on Celebrity in August a few years ago. I don't believe we had any seas days and it was the most tiring cruise we have ever been on. The best one but we needed another vacation when we got home ;) August was HOT. Nothing like touring in 100 degrees with no shade in sight for hours. You might want to keep that in mind however you never know what the weather is going to end up being like.

I have been on the RCI Independence (sister ship to the Liberty) and loved it. I am going to say that Costa and MSC might not be the place to start. I just spoke with someone who went on MSC and she really enjoyed it but she also said it would not be for everyone. I am wondering if your daughter might be bored.

Make sure you go in a day early if you can. We did not and it was a miserable first day as we could not sleep on the plane going over. It is also a good idea to get there early so you are there. Nothing like a plane problem to mess up a great vacation.

We left from Barcelona and ended in Venice. It was the smoothest water we ever had. The only time we left out of Southhampton was to do a British Isles cruise so I can't help you there.

We just got off the Grand Princess and I walked the Promenade numerous days. It is quite nice to be able to walk completely around the ship but some ships will have areas blocked off so this will not be possible. I will agree with the other poster you will be able to have those walks one way or another.

If you have never been to the Med before you are in for an EXCELLENT cruise.

Hi there,

Thanks for your advice, sorry for my late reply, my mother in law has been very poorly so that kept me away from checking on here.

We have taken on board your comments about Costa and MSC, we were unsure about them for our daughter so think you have helped convince us not to start out with them.

We are planning to spend around 5 days or so prior to the cruise and a couple of days after depending on the date it ends somewhere near our embarkation point - wherever that is once we finally make a decision!

I've been all over Europe many times but my husband and daughter not so much and some of the places were quite some time ago so i'm looking forward very much to revisiting with 'my' family.

Thanks again, great advice!

Sam :)

I don't know anything about those specific cruises, but we went this last summer on the Freedom with 19 people. All of the kids had a blast and once they got involved in the teen sceen, we almost never saw them. They made friends really easy and really enjoyed the activities planned for the teens. Everything from sports, to video games, dances and trivia. Several nights, they even had special dinners and did not dine with us. The employees really knew the teens and how to "bring them out" so they made friends and had a great time. My kids still myspace the friends they made. Freedom was NOT my favorite ship, but the kids had fun. So far HAL is my favorite, but we are going to alaska on the Sapphire Princess this Aug.

Hi there,

Thanks for the info, i'm sure from what you have said my daughter will find herself wanting to meet up with other teens on board.

We would love to do an Alaskan cruise, thats one we will look forward to in the future, enjoy yours :D

Hi Sam

When I'm in a hole I should really stop digging. Thinking about it last night I'm pretty sure that you have to be UK resident to book Thomsons. (I think !!:o) Sorry, never mind I'm off to Madeira first thing so I'll have a glass of sparkling wine in your honour. I'm so cheap. :)

Jan

Hi Jan,

Hope you have had a fantastic time!! :D

Sam

Hi Sam

Jan

Hi Jan,

Hope you had a fantastic time! :D

Sam

We sailed on the Thomson Celebration last year - there are 3 Coeliacs in my family - we could not fault the service for the gluten free food. We had a letter awaiting us in our cabin to meet with the Maitre'd on the first day and he introduced us to the Head Waiters in the main restaurant then took us on a tour of the buffer restaurant & introduced us to the Head Chef & Head Waiter there. Nothing was too much trouble for us.

We had the sit down meal every night; they used to mark the normal menu with all the options that could be made or were gluten free. They provided GF bread, pasta, made sure there were GF desserts available - superb.

We used to eat at the buffet for breakfast & lunch. On the first day, we asked if it was possible for GF pancakes and every day thereafter, they brought some out specially as soon as we sat down.

It was so good, we have booked to go back on the Thomson Spirit this year (sister ship) - I just hope they are as good!

Hiya,

Thats great to hear, many thanks for that info, husband likes the sound of the pancakes! - It's a shame more restaurants at home are not as au fait with Coeliacs and gluten free cooking. I think we are edging towards Royal Caribbean or NCL however, but always great to know other options especially regarding a gluten free diet so thankyou for taking the time to reply, very much appreciated.

I'd expect these dates will be opening fairly soon. You should keep an eye out because booking EARLY often gets you the lowest prices AND the best selection of rooms. Even within the same category, all rooms are not equal. While I don't kow anything about the specific ships you've mentioned, my experience has been that the ships feel crowded during the first few hours (while everyone's still dragging loads of stuff around and can't get to their rooms yet), the exits feel crowded during port stops, and a few events (i.e., parades) are briefly crowded, and the ship feels crowded during disembarkation. The rest of the time you won't find solitude in the public areas . . . but it isn't overly crowded either. Again, I don't know your specific ships, but I cannot imagine any ship that wouldn't be built to accomodate this option. Walking on deck after dark with a significant other is wonderful.Two suggestions: 1) See if you can get her chatting with other teens ahead of time -- you can make some connections through this board; once you're booked, you'll find a thread on this site for your specific ship/week. 2) Force her to go to the first night's "meet people" night. That's when all the teens are trying to meet others.

Hi Mrs Pete,

Thankyou for your reply, your comment about how 'crowded' etc makes great sense, so thankyou, I suddenly also told myself that the ship only holds so many, its not like extras can suddenly jump on board and create overcrowding! So i'm feeling a lot happier about a HUGE ship now, many thanks :D

Great advice, i will personally drag her there ;)...ok, i mean gently encourage her to go say 'hi' :)

Thanks again

Sam :)

Archived