What to do in Olympia (Katakolon)?

sns1

The sole reason for stopping at Katakolon is really to visit Olympia - the home of the Ancient Olympic Games.

Its about a 40 minute drive from the port to visit the site and museum plan on 2-3 hours for the visit. 'Google' Olympia for info or buy a book for research.

Tour guides are worth the cost if you want to learn the history etc but they are very few at Olympia though sometimes in low season they can be found near the entrance.

Tickets cost 9 Euros for the site and museum, under 19's and +65 EU nationals are free.

Taxis charge 35-40 Euros an hour if the driver speaks some English it would be better for you.

There's also cute train but you need to check the time-table carefully.

There are a few vans available on the internet

From the port you could visit the Castle of Chlemoutsi, about 40 miles away or the Winery.

Hope this helps :)

Edited by Vrilissia

We booked George for next week, will update on our return. 140 euros for the 5 of us. We are only in port until 13.00 so the train option was too tight for time.

Still way cheaper than the ship excursion & I'm sure will be more informative :)

We booked George for next week, will update on our return. 140 euros for the 5 of us. We are only in port until 13.00 so the train option was too tight for time.

Still way cheaper than the ship excursion & I'm sure will be more informative :)

I'm sure you'll have a great day, but as to "more informative" do keep in mind that these drivers are not guides. They can (and often do) provide some information, but cannot accompany you to sites and may or may not be as accurate as a licensed guide.

I have no issues with that, but I just think it needs to be clarified so that people know what to expect.

• 2 weeks later...

Some of you might be interested to know that I have been having email "correspondence" with George today to re-confirm our booking for 14th May. I mentioned that he had received some nice comments on this thread and he told me that he has made 35 bookings for the season since early March. Perhaps Softball20 and Floridafolks could request commission !!!

He also had 10 enquiries for the day that we had already booked. How lucky were we !!!

Some of you might be interested to know that I have been having email "correspondence" with George today to re-confirm our booking for 14th May. I mentioned that he had received some nice comments on this thread and he told me that he has made 35 bookings for the season since early March. Perhaps Softball20 and Floridafolks could request commission !!!

He also had 10 enquiries for the day that we had already booked. How lucky were we !!!

Go George!!! Tell him that Donna & Marc say "hi."

Also, go CC. These vendors are smart and understand the value of this site. You do a good job, it shows up on CC. You do a poor job, it shows up on CC!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

We also just had a tour with George last week and it was wonderful. He is such a nice man and would highly recommend him. Also visited the winery and met Chris who is posting on here now and again what a great guy. It definitely was busy there and Chris is working his tail off but we felt very welcomed and enjoyed our time there.

• 2 years later...
Can you help me to get in contact with George? I am next week in Katakolon with my wife and 3 children and like to have a guide like him. Thanks.

If you'd like to email me, I can answer some of your questions. It might be too late to book him as a guide as he fills up really quickly.

donna@bridalshowcase.com

We've booked with George and he's arranging a private guide for the ruins and museum. He was so prompt and nice in the emails and with all the positive recommendations we are excited to be using him.

There were a couple of other really good guides as well listed on Trip Advisor. So if George is booked, contact them.

• 1 year later...

Can anyone recommend a car rental that we can reserve ahead for the day? I know automatics are limited in Europe, so would like to secure in advance. The only part of the excursion tour that tempts me is the restaurant visit in the town of Katakolon that includes music and dancing. But maybe we could just walk around after dropping the car off and listen at the doors? ;)

We got a quote from Avis and Sixt. Avis was 45 EUR, Sixt was 36 EUR, both for the smallest category and including insurance. Based on price, we went with Sixt.

Alex, could I have Sixt's email id please? Rentacarkatakolo quoted me 40 euros for a manual Opel Corsa, sent Avis two messages but haven't heard from them. Thanks.

Alex, could I have Sixt's email id please? Rentacarkatakolo quoted me 40 euros for a manual Opel Corsa, sent Avis two messages but haven't heard from them. Thanks.

The e-mail from Avis got stuck in my spam filter and I only saw it after I had already booked through Sixt. Avis did send me a detailed quote including an estimate of how much fuel we would need.

I booked Sixt online through sixt.de and was able to select the insurance options directly on the site.

Edited by Alex71

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...