Question about Rum Runners and port days

It's amazing the lengths some folks will go through to smuggle. Simply amazing.
Yeah, putting something into my husband's cargo shorts' pocket takes hours and hours of planning and coordination.

Actually, we don't bring anything OFF the ship. Drinks tend to be cheap in port, and we aren't too picky about what we drink.

To the OP: Taking liquor ashore in a foreign port could get you into a lot of trouble with the local police if they find out. Each country has their own liquor laws so I would urge caution. Bringing small (8 oz) RR back onto the ship concealed in your clothing is very easy if you wear bulky clothes of course. They are hard to conceal in your bikini's!

No one has ever been denied boarding because they were caught "smuggling" alcohol aboard. They simply confiscate it when found. That is a baseless threat. They do not scan every piece of checked luggage as a rule. They do scan all carryon luggage just like at the airport. However I am not sure how well trained they are to spot contraband such as RR. Bottles are very easy to see.

RR placed in your checked luggage among your clothes, etc., are very difficult to see in a scan. They have little time to study the scan since 6000+ pieces of luggage must be scanned and loaded in only 4 or so hours at the embarking port. The success rate of using RR is near 100%. I have read only one posting on CC of someone having their hooch confiscated. Be careful that something else in your luggage might cause a search such as bottle that resembles a liquor bottle or other items not permitted.

On the AOS in 2008 I accidentally left my dive knife on my BC in my checked luggage. Usually I remove it and leave it at home when taking my SCUBA gear on the ship. They did not find it. So much for the careful scans. If they can't see a knife, how can you expect them to find a RR which is non-metalic? I always take my preferred beverages with me on all the ships I have sailed. My success rate so far has been 100%.

Tell that to the family of the young man injured this week on the Navigator. I hope RCl starts screening carefully for all smuggled liquor including rum rummers in light of this tragic accident.

give me a break! as a spring breaker fresh off independence of the seas (march 6th, eastern), there were many more older people who had one too many that probably purchased them at the bar!

to the mod: yes, a rumrunner can be confiscated upon arrival from a port. my friend had one in his backpack and it was taken. all of the rumrunners we packed in our checked luggage got through just fine but it was when we were coming back in from st. maarten that he was stopped. If he had put it in his pocket he would have gotten through scotch-free.

Contrary to what some people say-you can,(i.e.-I have).This subject matter is sensitive,in that there are a lot of 'people police' who have an issue with this-(their problem)You will not be denied boarding-the worst that will happen-they will take.

lets face it folks-(or don't face it.)..Some people are teetolers,some are notThis is not the "french connection" we are talking about.Lets not be so quick to judge our fellow cruisers-as long as it does not injure you?I am not my brothers keeper/Are you?-different strokes/different folks-but we can all criuise/coexist-right(I hope)

Just curious if water bottles filled with a clear liquor would be detected? Since there is no metal, wouldn't it act like a rumrunner? Isn't it ok to bring on water and other non-alcoholic beverages?

Just curious if water bottles filled with a clear liquor would be detected? Since there is no metal, wouldn't it act like a rumrunner? Isn't it ok to bring on water and other non-alcoholic beverages?

Clear liquid can be detected just as well. You will notice that there are several bottles of "water". Some even had an unbroken seal (either the person carefully took the lid off or bought one online) that clearly had alcohol in it. Also, there were water bottles that were filled to the very top on the hopes that the screener wouldn't be able to shake the bottle. There are also mouthwash bottles filled with clear liquids (and not clear liquids), shampoo and mouthwash bottles as well.

rumrunner2a.jpg

Archived